SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
You should probably calibrate the hygrometer using the salt method. It is easy to do. From what you describe they sound a bit dry.

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a go, but I really think it may be those sticks like a bit more RH then the others. I'm going to put them in another humidor and run it at 70RH.

----
We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
63° outside this evening and a Tatuaje Verocu has been ignited! We had some heavy rain today and there is a squall line coming through in about an hour. I hope I'm inside when it comes through!!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Four Kicks hat from Crowned Heads, I love the crossed pistols and guns and cigars go together right. The owner included a hand written thank you, an additional hat, and a Las Calaveras 2016 prerelease. These just arrived in the states from the My Father factory this week. The regular release will be June. I'll probably smoke it this weekend.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I ordered the Four Kicks hat from Crowned Heads, I love the crossed pistols and guns and cigars go together right. The owner included a hand written thank you, an additional hat, and a Las Calaveras 2016 prerelease. These just arrived in the states from the My Father factory this week. The regular release will be June. I'll probably smoke it this weekend.

Nice! where'd you find the hat?

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice swag! Let us know how this years stick is. I wasn't impressed with last year's but only had one of them.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Crowned heads website has a store, hats, ashtrays, shirts, etc.....

http://www.crownedheads.com/

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
Crowned heads website has a store, hats, ashtrays, shirts, etc.....

http://www.crownedheads.com/

I guess that would be the obvious place to look... Duh.

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Check out my Whisky cart. The gf made this for me to keep my spirits at her place. Think i need to add a humidor to it.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
Nice Jay! I think you're right, a humidor needs to be added.

My Pipe saga continues. Today I broke in a Peterson System De Luxe 20s with a couple of different tobaccos.. I'm really enjoying the different flavors and to be honest, I'm enjoying my wife not turning her nose up at the way I smell after huddling up in the garage due to the WI temps.. To break in the pipe I smoked A&C Peterson Escudo Navy Deluxe, Dunhill Nightcap, and Davidoff Flake Medallions. I'd never had the Nightcap before, and I loved the amount of Latakia and I'm guessing the spice was from a deathly dose of perique.. It was by far the closest I've ever come to a cigar type smoke in a pipe.

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
Really like that cross pistol hat too! That whiskey cart is bad arse man! You should check out Cigar bid for a humidor to go with it. I'm finally getting around to calibrating those digital hygrometers. Looks like one I have is under.. the other is over. Hah! I picked up some more boveda packs so it shouldn't matter anyway now.

Goat I haven't tried my pipe lately. I need to pick up some more tobacco for it. What do you recommend? I normally get cavendish.

Hello Friday... by Nathan Latsha, on Flickr

This is was on deck tonight. The bourbon barrel aged Camacho toro was a real treat. Wonderful blend all around.

----

Posts: 2075 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Well I do have 2 humidors, I think I'll just keep one at her house. How was the Camacho? I believe I have a couple in my humidors somewhere.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash Ninja:
Really like that cross pistol hat too! That whiskey cart is bad arse man! You should check out Cigar bid for a humidor to go with it. I'm finally getting around to calibrating those digital hygrometers. Looks like one I have is under.. the other is over. Hah! I picked up some more boveda packs so it shouldn't matter anyway now.

Goat I haven't tried my pipe lately. I need to pick up some more tobacco for it. What do you recommend? I normally get cavendish.

Hello Friday... by Nathan Latsha, on Flickr

This is was on deck tonight. The bourbon barrel aged Camacho toro was a real treat. Wonderful blend all around.

Nice choice on the barrel aged. I really enjoy the ones I've had..

As far as pipe tobacco goes, something that is just cavendish is an aromatic usually (meaning its cased or flavored).. If you enjoy cigars, I'd recommend a non-aromatic tobacco. You are actually going to taste the tobacco and not the extra stuff that makes it smell really good but when you try to distinguish flavors there aren't any really.. I'm pretty new at the non-aromatics so for a recommendation I can really only recommend what I've tried..

The Davidoff Flake Medallions have some cavendish in them, but its a non-aromatic so you have a good VaPer blend (some sweetness from the Virginias and some spice from the perique) with a touch of depth from the cavendish.
Flake Medallions

The Escudo is what some would call the quintessential VaPer. The tin smells sweet and tangy. It burns great and the perique isn't too far forward to overwhelm. It starts out a bit grassy with some bright sweet notes, but develops into a full and sweet experience. I really like it, and this would probably be my recommendation to start with a non-aromatic.
Escudo

The Dunhill Nightcap is the pipe tobacco equivalent of a full bodied, full strength cigar. I don't think you're going to want to smoke anything after smoking Nightcap. It's a super flavorful English blend with tons of spice. The smokiness from the Latakia is ever present and helps balance some of the spice.
Nightcap

Pipe Smoker is far more experienced than I, and I would look to him for some good suggestions.. Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goatboyz,

-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Well I do have 2 humidors, I think I'll just keep one at her house. How was the Camacho? I believe I have a couple in my humidors somewhere.

Damn good smoke. The only thing I didn't like about it was the gaudy wrapper hah. Otherwise it had notes of pepper, cashew, a bit sweet, and could taste the bourbon a little. Angel's Envy over powered the aged bourbon. I'll try the next one I have with a Stout instead to see if the bourbon pops more. I'll be buying more!

----

Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goatboyz:
Nice choice on the barrel aged. I really enjoy the ones I've had..

As far as pipe tobacco goes, something that is just cavendish is an aromatic usually (meaning its cased or flavored).. If you enjoy cigars, I'd recommend a non-aromatic tobacco. You are actually going to taste the tobacco and not the extra stuff that makes it smell really good but when you try to distinguish flavors there are any really.. I'm pretty new at the non-aromatics so for a recommendation I can really only recommend what I've tried..

.. Good luck.

Whoa that dunhill sounds great since I like full bodied cigars. I'll give it a go! Thanks Goat.

----

Picture of Flash Ninja
posted Hide Post
Oh so one of my hygrometers is off by 10%!! It's the one I keep in my smaller humidor I use for overflow. The other is only one off. No adjustment on it. What do ya''ll think? Keep it or trash it?

----

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh so one of my hygrometers is off by 10%!! It's the one I keep in my smaller humidor I use for overflow. The other is only one off. No adjustment on it. What do ya''ll think? Keep it or trash it?

As long as you can remember that it's one off and manage it accordingly no need to trash it. One degree isn't anything to worry about.

That other one that was 10 off probably caused your smoking issue.

I prefer digital hygrometers that can be adjusted...because I'm not good at remembering to adjust accordingly. Big Grin

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
A question for Pipe Smoker, is it okay to store pipe tobaccos in the tins they came in? Is any maintenance needed?

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
<snip>
Goat I haven't tried my pipe lately. I need to pick up some more tobacco for it. What do you recommend? I normally get cavendish.<snip>

My desert island pipe tobacco choice would be Dunhill Flake. It's an excellent Virginia flake with no topping – just delicious tobacco flavor. Other Virginia choices with light but tasty toppings: Capstan Medium (blue tin label), Cut Virginia Plug by Fribourg & Treyer. I buy nearly all of my pipe tobacco from SmokingPipes.com. No sales tax and free shipping for orders of $100 or more.

These aren't at all cigar-like though. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Boveda are perfect for desk top humidors. Hygrometers should be adjustable. For analog there is a screw on the back, digital should be adjustable as well.

Chi Chi, get the yayo