SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There was no show like Miami Vice
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There was no show like Miami Vice Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
OK, who DOESNT have the theme song playing in their heads the entire time you are reading this thread?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Per Wiki, I think the original show car is in a museum, but I'd have to go back to Wiki again for the details.

James
I sure hope so!

I was afraid that Ferrari forced them to use the replica in the shoulder fired missile "demonstration" scene to punish it for pretending to be the real thing!

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
By far my most favorite tv show! I would stay home on Friday nights to watch it while my buddies would hit the bar scene. Wink

Thanks for sharing the video. I had no idea that many now famous actors where in the show. Very cool.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I never really watched it in my younger days, just now and then. I'm interested in it now then, it'd be good to revisit the 80's and I love binge watching series now.

Anyone know if it's available on Netflix or Amazon? I'll have to search that.

ETA: season 1 only on Amazon

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Some surprises in that video, for sure.....

Probably one of my top 10 television episodes of all time.

Another one of my favorite guest stars was G. Gordon Liddy.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
No lie, my wife's coworker is the blond in the yellow bikini in the intro. Former bunny.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Sooo many killer episodes that are every bit as good today. Sure the aesthetic is cartoonish but the stories hold up wonderfully.

El Viejo. Awesome
Smugglers Blues
Down For The Count
Heart of darkness
Glades. "Maybe you won't even twitch". Delivered perfectly. Awesome line.
Honestly way more good then bad. The music, the gray characters, the silence, the believable comraderie. Yes the aesthetic is cartoonish today but there are many first rate stories and I would argue Vice was the first of the well produced, well acted, well scripted TV shows.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
One of the things that I noticed that made the show different was that the cops could be nervy or scared, that they made mistakes and that things went wrong for them.

Oh yeah, that was another thing I liked. Because of its neo-noir aesthetic, stories would have an unhappy or bittersweet ending much of the time. Either the bad guys won or escaped, or they would be captured or killed but at great emotional cost to the good guys and innocent parties.

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I never did develop a taste for it.

I love most varieties of cheese.

This is not one of them.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I'LL never forget the Don Johnson clones that frequented the bars wearing the white or blue suits aka Miami Vice. Too funny
quote:
Originally posted by hapevo:
By far my most favorite tv show! I would stay home on Friday nights to watch it while my buddies would hit the bar scene. Wink

Thanks for sharing the video. I had no idea that many now famous actors where in the show. Very cool.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
I never really watched it in my younger days, just now and then. I'm interested in it now then, it'd be good to revisit the 80's and I love binge watching series now.

Anyone know if it's available on Netflix or Amazon? I'll have to search that.

ETA: season 1 only on Amazon

Entire series available on the NBC app.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
The show and soundtrack of my youth. Never missed an episode.

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
No lie, my wife's coworker is the blond in the yellow bikini in the intro. Former bunny.

For our younger members who have no recollection of polka dots....

http://33.media.tumblr.com/dd3...1r9a32bo4_r1_400.gif

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
In the early 90's I drove a red Testarossa that belonged to a friend of a friend in Napa Valley, CA. Got a good 45 minutes in it, drove all over Solano County. Never had the radio on, but the Vice theme was playing in my head most of the time anyway.

The show was pretty popular among cops at the time. Lots of Jackass shoulder rigs amongst the plain clothes guys.

Some very noteworthy shows and scenes. I still have the final episode on VHS tape. The ending with a retrospective was nicely done.

Always recall Crockett offering Tubbs a ride to the Airport, in his "Stolen car'. As he was still driving the white Testarossa. And the sound as he pulled away with it.

Great Show.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Is on COZI, Grit, or METv every night around midnight or so. Nugent got killed dead by Sonny last night.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
You look back today and realize it was cheesy, but I remember I never missed an episode while working evenings in the hospital. We could usually time procedures to happen outside of "Vice hour".

Glenn Frey had mentioned in an article that he really enjoyed being a part of that show.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Just started watching the series tonight on the NBC app. First episode was great - excellent sound track, beautiful photography, they did a good job of sucking the viewer in. The next to episodes were ok but didn't seem to have the glitz of the first. Still enjoyable though.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sargespd:
.......... Whenever I hear "In the air tonight", I still see Don Johnson driving in the rain through Miami.

Strange, I think about the train scene in Risky Business when I hear that song.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Oh yeah, that was another thing I liked. Because of its neo-noir aesthetic, stories would have an unhappy or bittersweet ending much of the time. Either the bad guys won or escaped, or they would be captured or killed but at great emotional cost to the good guys and innocent parties.

+1

... one of the (many) reasons I liked this show.

The good guys didn't always win, there were highs and lows, losses and despair ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met Michael Talbott a few years back. He has a charity to help veterans. I have a photo of he and I on my shop wall. He still has his Miami Vice badge! A real down to earth guy, and he is very pro-gun. Does a lot of things with NRA, and the Miami police. After the show ended, he bought his Browning Hi-Power back from the network for $75.00! He still shoots it today. An awesome guy!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post