SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Second Monitor? ***Now with Karma***
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second Monitor? ***Now with Karma*** Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I'm thinking of adding a second monitor to my new Mac Mini setup. How many of you guys are running multiple displays? Does it help your efficiency? Any input at all would be great, thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I run two monitors at work and have to say it is worth every penny. It is great to have multiple apps running and being able to compare from screen to screen. For home I went with a 30" monitor, and while there is a ton of screen real estate, I just don't find it is as efficient.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've got 3 27" monitors on my desktop.

I wouldn't trade them, except maybe for a Samsung 49" widescreen. I still feel like I'd end up with a second monitor with that, though.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I use 3 displays. Usually my main task on the center screen, email on onen and Excel on the other. It depends on what you're doing by I'd recommend multiple smaller monitors over one larger monitor.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been using at least 2 monitors for a long time. At home, I now have a 3 monitor setup; left monitor is dedicated to one PC, right monitor is dedicated to second PC, middle monitor is shared between the two PC and receiver for streaming video.

I'm using 3 27" monitors and I'm getting some neck strain. Would like to get down to a 1 monitor, perhaps 2 at the most, while still being able to view all 3 sources concurrently.

1 large (32"?) monitor with 3 concurrent split screen inputs may be ideal.

For work, 2 monitors at a min: key scenarios include (not all inclusive):
1. working on one monitor (right in front of you), while second monitor on the side for monitoring email, web, Teams.
2. working (presenting, taking notes, chatting, emailing, etc) on one monitor while showing Teams mtg on the other.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I've been using multiple monitors for decades and wouldn't change a thing.

Pro tip (at least with Windows): If you have two different sizes (resolutions) monitors, sometimes an app will open up in the smaller monitor and be partially off the screen (i.e., too big), meaning you can't move it. This is where a hotkey sequence comes in handy. ALT-[SPACE BAR], down arrow once (sometimes twice), [ENTER], use the arrows to re-position the window, then hit [ENTER].

For some reason, Adobe Acrobat is particularly bad at this.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Used a pair of Dell 20" 4x3 / 1600x1200 LCD's for years. Finally went to a Dell 34" Curved that is 3440x1400 resolution, slightly larger than the pair of 20's. Last week I upgraded the other workstation with a 35" LG Curved Monitor, was on sale for $349 (about half the price the Dell 34" was about 3 years ago. Really like it, comes with LG software that lets you split the screen many different ways.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
I run 2 monitors off a DELL. Didn't really think it was a big deal until I travelled and had just use the laptop. Definitely worth the cost to have an additional monitor.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Two monitors increases your effectiveness as you don't have to switch between windows. You can have one window open on one monitor and the second on the second monitor.

Having three monitors give you the most flexibility in terms of work space. At the very least, you can have your email, video, or something else on the third monitor.

People that have 4 or more monitors use the additional monitors to monitor processes or dashboard metrics.

Below is my current set-up with two portable monitors on either side of my laptop screen. I can watch the TV screen above the monitors or watch something on the Samsung tablet that is above the monitor on my right.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use two 32" 4K monitors. They're a bit of overkill for software development. 27" would be fine for my tasks. That said, there is no way I could go back to one monitor and still be productive.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Last week I upgraded the other workstation with a 35" LG Curved Monitor, was on sale for $349 (about half the price the Dell 34" was about 3 years ago. Really like it, comes with LG software that lets you split the screen many different ways.

Could I use that monitor and split it for these various scenarios:
1. Left PC1 (DP); Right PC2 (DP); Center (DP or HDMI) PC1 or PC2. Each split equal size.
2. Left PC1 (DP); Right PC2 (DP); Center HDMI from Receiver. Left / Right can be smaller and assume center is optimized for UHD video playback.
3. Full screen HDMI from Receiver (black bars on left and right since not 16:9/16:10 ratio?)

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work from home. I run one 24” vertical on the left 24” horizontal in the middle and the laptop on the right for 3 monitors. I have multiple windows and pdf open at once all day and I would not be get any work done the laptop screen only. I’d like bigger screens but that would be on my dime and I don’t like my company that much.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Even something as simple as balancing your checkbook is made easier with two monitors. I really like having two.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend it, especially if you create documents, spreadsheets, etc.

I did it back when monitors were still 4:3 ratio and I never stopped. Currently have had the same dual 27" since about 2017.

When I think back to before I added a second monitor, all I can think is that it feels life changing. Cuz it kinda is.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Got 3 more on another wing of the desk to the right that you can't see. Smile

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I've been using multiple monitors for decades and wouldn't change a thing.

Pro tip

That tip is also good if you have two monitors set up like I had, one vertical (used for documents) and the other horizontal. Windows made a space the height of the vertical one and the width of both together. Meaning that below the horizontal monitor was space that Windows would happily put application windows into, despite that area not displaying on either monitor. Frown

I finally gave up, and got a new monitor with more vertical pixels than the old vertically-oriented one, and more horizontal pixels than both together had. Let's hear it for advancing tech! Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
That tip is also good if you have two monitors set up like I had, one vertical (used for documents) and the other horizontal.

Basically what I'm looking to do.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Creslin, are you sure you have enough monitors? Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about creslin's setup too. Are all those connected to the same CPU? Can you drag application windows between all of them? Does the OS understand their relative positioning correctly?

As for me, my primary machine is a 27" iMac with an additional 27" monitor attached. This basic arrangement has been standard for me for decades on many systems including Suns, BSD, Linux, and various Macs. The way it has helped most in my day-to-day activities is in having the ability to have a decent amount of real estate for my main operation at the time, while in the other display do things like look up documentation/examples for the working project, and be able to easily cut-n-paste/drag-n-drop while being able to see both windows, and not having to resize anything.

I wish there was better OS and application support for application windows that span displays so that they can effectively become a single display. Especially if the software allowed the bezels and gap between the monitors to interrupt the virtual display kind of like a window mullion. This wouldn't be good for a spreadsheet as the columns would be "obstructed" when the spreadsheet bridges monitors, but it would be very nice for video and other "big screen" applications.

My dream is to mount three 48" monitors vertically, and arranged side-by-side operating as a single virtual display. Almost as good would be a matrix 2x2 or 2x3 of 27" monitors doing the same.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Creslin - Would you care to share what you do that utilizes 12 monitors at a time?

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post