SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boat Folks - Trailer Tongue Jack for Salt Water?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boat Folks - Trailer Tongue Jack for Salt Water? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I put a good Bulldog jack on Dale's boat trailer but salt water has locked it up.

Looking to replace it with something a little more salt-water friendly. Keep in mind that maintenance is not Dale's strong suit so rinsing it off after immersion is probably not going to happen.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Did some googlization, several recommendations for Fulton brand.

Consensus is grease them up good and drill a drain hole in the body at the bottom and then buy a new one when you don't.

Quote from the link:

"The best saltwater jack is by Fulton, the F2 Jack. The Fulton F2 jack is an aluminum body and extension with nylon internal gears so oxidation problems are eliminated.

The unit is a tad pricey and there are multiple models based on the load to be supported. The F2 jack comes in single wheel, dual wheel and a pad model and I believe they all pivot inline with the tongue when not in use."

https://www.thehulltruth.com/t...saltwater-usage.html

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Did some googlization, several recommendations for Fulton brand.

Also, grease them up good and drill a drain hole in the body at the bottom,

https://www.thehulltruth.com/t...saltwater-usage.html

Yup, that's what I'm seeing as well, just wanted some real life experience to chime in to confirm it.

Not that advertisers would ever exaggerate...

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Yup, that's what I'm seeing as well, just wanted some real life experience to chime in to confirm it.

Not that advertisers would ever exaggerate...

No kidding LOL

Need Jimmy123 to chime in....

One guy at the link has a DIY solution, only sure way is to not get the jack into the salt water, one guy welded pipe to the trailer, and side of the jack, with a removable pin, the jack comes off the trailer and goes into the back of the truck when launching and retrieving so it is never in the water, until you forget to take it off..

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I gave up on this years ago. I just consider them consumables now.
i just buy them cheaply at Northern tool and replace them every 3-4 years as needed.
They are cheap and changing one out only takes about 10 minutes.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fulton trailer jacks last a long time and hold up to saltwater. They're made for a saltwater environment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to ask why the jack is getting saltwater into it? Are you having to drop back so far that it gets wet when launching/retrieving the boat?

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I put a good Bulldog jack on Dale's boat trailer but salt water has locked it up.

Looking to replace it with something a little more salt-water friendly. Keep in mind that maintenance is not Dale's strong suit so rinsing it off after immersion is probably not going to happen.

If Dale rinses out the outboard engine with freshwater like you are supposed to, Dale has the time to rinse the trailer.
Does he do any kind of maintenance to the trailer tires? Or does he just let them rot too?

Dale needs a bonk on the head.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does he do any kind of maintenance to the trailer tires?

Or wheel bearings?

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Dale does very little maintenance of ANY sort.

Keeps me in toy money...

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dale needs a bonk on the head.

best advice yet...

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
I have to ask why the jack is getting saltwater into it? Are you having to drop back so far that it gets wet when launching/retrieving the boat?

Wondering the same. How’s Dale’s differential doing? If I got so deep down the ramp that my trailers’ jacks were submersed, my truck’s rear axle would be where it shouldn’t.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Some ramps are wonky, when I was in the CG we had quite a few ramps on western FLA that were poorly made and you had to put the truck into the water to the rear tires to get a good launch…even for a 19’ Rigid Hull Inflatable or the 19’ Carolina Skiff we had

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post