SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colonoscopy , anyone have any experience or advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colonoscopy , anyone have any experience or advice? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I didn't read all the comments so if this was mentioned sorry. First, I agree have it done. Second, when you are in recovery let er rip! During my first one the nurse in recovery was a friend and I was trying to be polite. The third time around the nurse during pre op actually said you can hurt yourself trying to hold the gas in. I took his advice, later, I tried to apologize to my son who had to drive me in. He said don't worry, everyone else took the nurses advice too. One other thing, don't make any decisions that day, on the way home my son jokingly wanted to go shopping for a new truck! Good luck,

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Just dropped off the package for Cologuard at the UPS Store.

There was quite a lineup in the store, I’m politely waiting my turn. Get to the next window the guy behind the counter is kind of a asshole...”

Yep, I pat myself on the back for self control!

Place a similar, fresh sample in a plain box, and take it to that UPS Store.

You can just leave it on the counter. Smile

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15925 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine at a decent time mid morning. My wife took me to an Irish pub for a late morning breakfast and a pint or two of Guinness afterward - I am looking forward to my next one...

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drink the juice and do the prep. Enjoy the nap and when you wake up you're done.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
LET THE PREP BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my 1st three years ago as I was having stomach issues they took out a polyp (no cancer) and my stomach has been right as rain ever since. They put me on the 3 year plan because of the polyp.

Officially does not start until 10am tomorrow but had soup for lunch and dinner last night, soup for lunch today. Dinner wanted a little more substance for dinner so just had a ham sandwich. But trying not to eat too heavy.

Last time I did the magnesium citrate (I think) awful juice which actually drinking was the worst part.

This time I got the 4 dulcolax tablets at 10am then 64oz of Gatorade with 255 grams of Miralax to drink starting at Noon drinking 8oz every 15 minutes.
Just put the Gatorade in the fridge so it is nice and cold.
Got some movies picked out. Some Jello, chicken broth, and Ale 8 to keep the clear liquid diet going until 8am Wednesday.
My liquid only prep does not actually start until noon tomorrow.

I am debating having a couple of donuts in the morning. They don’t fall under the do not eat foods that I started 4 days before.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25476 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Have fun with it…write a note to your doctor.

Be gentle, Doc.

Or could have bought me a drink first.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I'm late to the party - and didn't read through the 6 pages of responses. Here's the suggestions given to me.

Schedule the procedure on a Monday Morning. Two reasons. First, work should not get in the way of prep. (Years ago, prep might about 3pm the day before.) Second, you can't eat the morning of so getting an early Monday appt has an advantage.

Make sure to have the more expensive ultra soft TP on hand.

Baby wipes/butt wipes are a huge help. If you can't use the disposable versions, then set up some sort of can so you can dispose of them as you use them. (Think work out odor control.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4891 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
Got mine last Monday nothing bad to report, I was in and out in an hour and a half. I had a 2 PM appointment so I went about 40 hours without eating, not as bad as it sounds, never really got hungry.

Getting up in the middle of the night having to go to the bathroom sucked.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thx fellas!

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
thx fellas!

No sweat! Just got home from mine. Gatorade and Miralax is the way to go! Worst part of this one is being lazy around the house when I have stuff to get done.
2 polyps but likely no big deal and will likely be bumped to the 5 year program instead of 3.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25476 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Ok so I have my procedure in the morning I have been home drinking the solution for 4 hours and drink half of the mixture, had no reaction, is this normal is it something I should be concerned about. The solution came in a jug that I had to fill with water and drink it every hour on the hour I'm just concerned that I have not had any type of action in the bathroom lol any suggestions should I just be patient is this abnormal?

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My last one was like that. Drink round one then nothing for several hours. Drink round two and still nothing for another hour or two.
Finally let loose.
I was worried after the second but the doctors office didn't seem all that concerned.
Then I showed up at their office for the procedure and the girl couldn't find my name on the schedule. After about ten minutes they found it, but said it was a couple of days later.
That's when I had to have a come to Jesus talk with the office manager (it was their mistake, not mine). They finally got me in and all was well for another 5 years.
Breakfast never tastes better than after something like this.

Posts: 9574 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If that doesn't work, just go to Taco Bell.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30781 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If that doesn't work, just go to Taco Bell.

Lol

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

posted Hide Post
Bet did not know they rate you on the quality of your prep. One to five. Just keep drinking water it will do its thing.

Posts: 17301 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Breakfast never tastes better than after something like this.

Darn right.
The sequence went something like this: poopapalooza; serious nap; raid on Cracker Barrel; another nap. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13534 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I usually go to bed in about an hour although I'm wide awake right now I'm scared to death to lay in my bed that somewhere in the middle of night I'm going to crap on my mattress cover LOL

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Oh you ARE going to crap everything when it finally begins.!

My last one was two bottles of Metamucil in two glasses. Versus the old way with a bunch a pills and Gatorade …the new way was much better.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11319 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Oh you ARE going to crap everything when it finally begins.!

My last one was two bottles of Metamucil in two glasses. Versus the old way with a bunch a pills and Gatorade …the new way was much better.

So....dont sleep lol???

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

posted Hide Post
I see the Doctor tomorrow for scheduling, it will be my fifth plus one by imaging. I am on a three year schedule due to family history and a half dozen polyps were removed during my last procedure. The prep is an inconvenience but its one day, I've had stomach viruses that were worse and lasted longer.

The Cologuard is for people with no family history of colon cancer and if the results are positive you will have to go through the prep again and get scoped out. Same goes for imaging - cannot remember if it was x-ray or MRI - and the prep is the same. If something shows up then you have to do the prep again and get scoped out.

The inconvenience of the prep is nothing compared to the treatment for colon cancer. My strong advice is do it

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post