SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colonoscopy , anyone have any experience or advice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colonoscopy , anyone have any experience or advice? Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
My doc says at my age i need one, i am 51. I am leery of anything invasive obviously lol. I cant fathom that we can put an HD video feed on mars, but they can not simple Xray or MRI my insides without going invasive..

Any suggestions as to why or why not to do it?

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a big deal. The worst part is the prep the day before the procedure.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
100% do it. You are foolish not to. Many lives are saved by colonoscopies. Soft tissue pre-cancerous polyps do not show up on X-rays.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
It is a good check for cancers, polyps, and ulcers.

I have had a few and a few endoscopies also (where they send the camera down the throat to the stomach).

In my case it revealed small polyps in the large intestine that were easy to remove while the colonoscopy was being done, and also my first one revealed ulcers in my throat from GERD.

Get it done; the most unpleasant part is the fasting the day before and the effects of drinking the special juice the day before.

The doctor performing the procedure did not find my cranium when he went looking up my bum.. so at least I don't have my head up my arse.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I've had a few, ain't nothing to it

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Yeah…..the prep is the worst, but not a reason not to have it done. The procedure is a cake walk in reality…..it’s the psychological part that is scary….in other words…don’t over think it!

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
do it, don't postpone it. We have all had them and survived. It is no big deal. Just do it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Do it.
The prep is awful.
The drugs during/after are great.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I had one two years ago and have to have another because of the types of polyps found.The worst part is the prep.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schedule the actual procedure for early in the day. You will be hangry by then anyway.
The prep sucks, the procedure is a snap. That 20 minutes is the best 8 hours of sleep I ever get...

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Do it! I have once and will need another in 2-3 years.

Word of advice though if you still add something like Gatorade into the intake mixture don't add your favorite flavor. It ruined my favorite flavor from then on. I mentioned this once before and someone said they all aren't done the same now and some use a pre-mixed solution.

Posts: 18039 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Anyone do Cologuard instead of the colonoscopy?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
It's not a big deal. The worst part is the prep the day before the procedure.

Yep...
I had this giant pitcher of blue gatorade stuff I was supposed to finish the night before.
It finally got to the point that if I had one more sip I was gonna hurl. So I went to bed.
Evidently I drank enough of it. Everything was fine.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Just do it as soon as possible... The day before prep is the most uncomfortable .... When they tell you to not venture far from the porcelin throne they know of what they speak. .... Had my 1st at age of 69yrs all due to my stupidity.. got a clean report... do not put it off any longer.............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Buy a bottle of apple juice. You do not drink it, rather wash your mouth out after drinking the prep to get rid of the awful salt taste. Get the 2 small cans even if it costs you more. you drink 2 glasses of the prep instead of 2 gallons of the other crap! Your starfish will be really sore and chapped. Some Vaseline helped ease the burn. Do NOT use any kind of hand lotion. It burns like fire!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the nap

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Fish On is on point. It's better than death, and the treatment for colon cancer ain't great either if you're lucky enough to catch it later but not too late.

Build up to prep day with lighter meals day ahead; salads, chicken, soup, etc.

Best 10 minutes of sleep I've had in years. Oh - if you have anything remotely like sleep apnea tell them. I got quite the lecture afterwards from the CRNA!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is the reply I posted in the last thread on the subject and it still applies:

"A colonoscopy saved my life 6 years ago. It was my 2nd one.
It found a stage 3 rectal tumor that was on the verge of getting into some lymph nodes that would have made it stage 4 and spread it throughout my body.
As it was, it required 1 1/2 years of treatment including chemo, radiation and major surgery. I was 68 at time and have been cancer free since.

Needless to say I'm a huge fan of the procedure regardless of the prep discomfort."

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
My doc says at my age i need one, i am 51. I am leery of anything invasive obviously lol. I cant fathom that we can put an HD video feed on mars, but they can not simple Xray or MRI my insides without going invasive..

Any suggestions as to why or why not to do it?

Do it. The process will be painless and invisible to you - besides the squirting the day before doing the cleanout prep. Best advice I can give you besides "do it"?: DAB, do not wipe. If you wipe you will get raw from the multiple visits to the pot during your cleanout the day before. And - get you some baby butt wipes and dab with those (and don't flush those!). You'll be fine!

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post