SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Arborists please step in.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arborists please step in. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I have a Crimson King Maple where the middle branch has taken off over the last few weeks. It’s almost comical how fast it has grown. Any ideas why or if there is something I should be concerned about?
Thanks!

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Young tree growth spurt. Noting to worry about.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
King of the cul-de-sac phalic identifier. Keep it and be proud.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your tree is giving me the finger.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Not an Arborists. It's doing just fine. That is normal for many trees at that age and older. They can grow a lot in the long days of Summer if they got water and a somewhat established root system.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

OP is setting us up. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26435 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

That tree has potential if he wants to startle the neighbors with a bit of subtle sculpting...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15610 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

That tree has potential if he wants to startle the neighbors with a bit of subtle sculpting...

Smile then put a red bulb in your over the door light to flip on at night.

Lead branch, I think it’s called. Trim it back into the fold.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s para’s, “Thumbkin” where is tallman? Here I am, here I am.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How tall/big do you want that tree to get? If you trim it to match the others, the others will grow with it and you will get a bushy, lower tree. If you want a taller, bigger tree, let it grow and trim off the lowest limbs, maybe the lowest two or three each year. The whole “center” of the tree will move up.
Later, as the tree gets bigger, trim out the inner limbs that clutter around the center. This will let the trunk grow stronger without a zillion little limbs coming off it.

Being on a corner you have an opportunity of having a spectacular “landmark” tree for the neighborhood. Maple? Nice trees.

I think one of the mistakes people make is not looking ahead to what it can/will become. Progressively clearing lower limbs when young will give you a tall, smooth trunk in future years. Not something with large limb wounds that take a decade to heal. Ditto with clearing interior limbs - with trimming you’ll get several large, strong limbs off the trunk toward the bottom. A healthy tree not susceptible to heavy winds breaking the cluttered cluster off. Later, when mature, the little stuff at the top and center can be ignored.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Don't cut the leader unless you want a bush. Google "apical dominance". Every tree in my neighborhood is messed-up. The nurseries "head" the young trees to force them to branch. It makes them look like a tree but messes them up. If you get a tree from a nursery that has been headed, you need to prune it to re establish a "leader" so that it will grow properly.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1368 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
Don't cut the leader unless you want a bush. Google "apical dominance". .

This.

They don't replace that key bud in the central trunk. Snip it, and that's the end of the vertical growth of that tree's central trunk.

For ever.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post