SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FYI. We have had two homes in my area explode in as many weeks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI. We have had two homes in my area explode in as many weeks Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted
We have had two homes in my area explode, in as many weeks, due to snow covered gas meters. One home was occupied at the time, the other was not. Fortunately there were only minor injuries incurred in the occupied home.

I have lived in this area for a long time and have seen many heavy snows, but this is the first I have heard of snow impacted gas meters causing gas explosions. As a result, the local fire marshal has been encouraging everyone who has an outside gas meter to make sure their gas meter is clear of snow.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The natural question is why?

link

"In a Facebook post, the Madison Fire Department wrote "large amounts of snow can put heavy weight and pressure on the pipes which ultimately causes them to break and fail. "In both home explosions, there was 10+ ft or more of snow on the gas meter.""

Devising a way to keep the snow of our gas meters in Michigan will be another project this summer.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
10 Ft of snow on a meter, perhaps also creating a gas pocket where there was a leak previously undetected?

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
When I first read this I thought ... WTF, then I decided to google and found this :

https://dps.mn.gov/blog/Pages/...-meter-ice-snow.aspx

I had no idea, and learned a valuable lesson today.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
If you use propane and have a regulator on the outside of the house where the line enters, you need to keep this clear, too.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
When I first read this I thought ... WTF, then I decided to google and found this :

https://dps.mn.gov/blog/Pages/...-meter-ice-snow.aspx

I had no idea, and learned a valuable lesson today.

That's good to know!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38587 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is 5 feet above the ground and in an area where wind and sun cuts down the snow cover around it. I can always smell a little gas around it, so I am glad it is where it is.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
learned a valuable lesson today.

Me, too! Thank you, ggile.

God bless America.

Posts: 13419 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not enough snow here for that but ice storms will. Always something I kept an eye on.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post