SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Edge drives me nuts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Edge drives me nuts Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I don't use it at all but it is basically impossible to delete. I run Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

The damn thing prompts for updates several times a week. Drives me nuts! And yes I do the updates.

I use Brave and Firefox.

Anyone else find this annoying? Or have a secret way to dump it without adversely affecting Windows?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it and evidently set it to auto-update. It never prompts me for updates.

I've been nuts for so long I never even notice.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
That crap is buil-in to the OS, no riddance possible. As long as you make FF or Brave your default browser and remove the icons and links from sight it shouldn’t bother you.
Hardly recall ever requesting for an update, maybe once not too long ago when i accidentally clicked on it and launched the damned thing.
Cursed it all the way until it loaded and when it was done wasting my time i closed it again hoping i wouldn’t see it again for a few months. That much i love it.

I can feel your pain, Bob. Wink Hopefully you have an SSD and not a spinner

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12124 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm never prompted for updates for Edge. Where are these prompts coming from? Is it the notifications? I've just turned off all notifications as I've never received one in Windows that it was necessary for me to do anything. The monthly patches will take care of any Edge updates that need to happen.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
That crap is buil-in to the OS, no riddance possible.
Yup. MS started doing that with, IIRC, Win95 and Internet Exploiter?

It was widely-believed, at the time, MS did that to unseat Netscape Navigator, which, up until then dominated browser market share.

If that was their plan: It worked.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I routinely use both KC Software's SUMo and PatchMyPC Updater to let me know of updates to software on my desktop. No automatic installs. I pick and choose.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Hopefully you have an SSD and not a spinner

Indeed I do for my boot drive. Spinners for backups. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I routinely use both KC Software's SUMo and PatchMyPC Updater to let me know of updates to software on my desktop. No automatic installs. I pick and choose.

So this is not Microsoft's fault then, is it?

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Edge sits on a back corner of my desktop and I never notice it. I use it once every three months to renew my phone service as Firefox will not work on that particular site for some reason.

And if I have to use it 4 times a year, then I hope it's security is up to date. But I don't recall it ever tell me it's updating except for a flash when I do have to use it.

Posts: 7364 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
From what you all are saying, I can place Edge on ignore in SUMo so that I won't be advised that Edge has an update available without fear of screwing up the OS by not performing updates. Or am I missing something?

USN (RET), COTEP #192