SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have the G-Shock GSWH1000 (smart watch)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have the G-Shock GSWH1000 (smart watch) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Looking to move on from my Suunto.
I have a couple G Shocks and like their size and robustness.
I will only wear a watch with an Analog style display.
The G Shock says you can choose from 3 different watch faces. I can’t find an example of all 3. Is an analog face an option?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the G-shock. Depending on what features you’re looking for in a smart watch, you may like the Garmin Fenix series of watches. I’ve been wearing one for several years now, and have been very pleased with how rugged it’s been.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I have no experience with the G-shock. Depending on what features you’re looking for in a smart watch, you may like the Garmin Fenix series of watches. I’ve been wearing one for several years now, and have been very pleased with how rugged it’s been.

That is my 2nd choice.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
+++ Fenix. I bought a refurb Fenix and its been great.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Not really my style watch, but my son, who hikes and mountain bikes a lot in the Carolinas, loves his Garmin watch, though his is a less expensive model than the Fenix.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’ll 2nd or 3rd the Garmin watches. I’ve had an Instinct Solar for a while now and love it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have had this G-Shock for a few years. It's a great watch. Features include solar powered and it syncs with the atomic clock out of Colorado. I think Mrs BB61 paid about $65 for it. Dave Truong sells G-Shocks now, I'd message him.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple G Shocks. I have the same or similar to the picture above. I hate that one. The digital screens are so tiny they border one useless. The GShock that I wear constantly and love is the Mudmaster GSG100 I believe. It’s the GWG100 without atomic clock and hence significantly cheaper.

My two cents. The blackout models suck. They look great but they are harder to actually read. Also, the digital windows you want the light window with black digits. Not the reverse which is very common and much harder to read.

The solar is the single best feature. The atomic is really really nice. I have found that my non atomic clock version loses a couple seconds A MONTH. Needless to say I reset it it once or twice a year because it just doesn’t lose enough time to worry about and getting the GWG version is hundreds more.

I love the analog GShocks. The Mudmasters are my favorite.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I have one of the GSWH1000's predecessor-of-sorts (the GBA800, coincidentally a Dave Truong karma) and have liked it. If the 1000 integrates- now or down the line- with the Fitbit apps, I'll run -not walk- to that series for the G-Shock goodness.

Pedropcola is correct about the small "subdial" type digital displays on many G-Shock models. Almost unusable for my aging eyes.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I get a $500 gift card every year to a particular retailer so I am limited on brands that they carry.
I usually get a pair of Lowa boots but want a new watch and all my Lowas are still going strong so I am going to get a new watch. A number of years ago I got my Suunto but they have quit carrying Suunto so I am stuck with Casio/G-Shock and Garmin.

Guess, I’ll keep digging to see if the G Shock has an analog display option if not decide on which Garmin.

————————————————

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is the new one, right? Released last month?

Here is a video from one of the better G-shock video bloggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCmv19bQOs

They are big, as usual for G-shock. I don't care for the look, myself.

I don't know much about this one yet. The first G-shock smart watch from last year wasn't a huge success. Even G-shock fanboys were underwhelmed, and thought it wasn't a great smart watch in terms of functions. As I say, I haven't paid much attention to this one, and Casio is usually pretty smart about giving the people what they want, so this one may well be lots better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This is the new one, right? Released last month?

Here is a video from one of the better G-shock video bloggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCmv19bQOs

They are big, as usual for G-shock. I don't care for the look, myself.

I don't know much about this one yet. The first G-shock smart watch from last year wasn't a huge success. Even G-shock fanboys were underwhelmed, and thought it wasn't a great smart watch in terms of functions. As I say, I haven't paid much attention to this one, and Casio is usually pretty smart about giving the people what they want, so this one may well be lots better.

Pretty sure that is the one I was looking at. Watching the video it does not appear that an analog face is available. Or at least he did not show it that I could see.
Would have been in the watch face and time piece sections.

Guess Garmin it will likely be.

————————————————

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Dave T is an official GShock merchant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Dave T is an official GShock merchant.

I know. All my G Shocks and Luminox have come from him in the past.
But like I said I have $500 to a particular retailer and that is where I’ll be buying this go round.

————————————————

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
But like I said I have $500 to a particular retailer and that is where I’ll be buying this go round.

My fault. I missed that part in your OP.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post