SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Refrigerator Time - What're Folks Liking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator Time - What're Folks Liking Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted
Our house is 20 years old and most appliances are 16. We've replaced the heat pump, washer/dryer, dish washer, now it's time for a refrigerator. Like everything else that requires a chip there are fewer choices than normal. The serviceman that was here cautioned me against LG, Samsung and GE. He had no recommendation, though. We're replacing a Whirlpool Gold and the new Whirlpools just appear to be cheap, especially the interiors.

Anyone have a Bosch or know anything about them My wife did see one today and really liked it but we're not that familiar with them. the dealer that has them does a big business in Bosch. Other choices, depending on availability, would be Kitchenaid and Frigidaire.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rental we are in has a newer Maytag. I've had good experience with them on other appliances so I would give them a look.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana are basically the same and made in Ohio - stick with one of them. Kitchen Aid is and upgraded Whirlpool, so it's not a bad choice but probably more expensive than it should be.

Bosch I have no idea, but German companies are not known for low cost of parts and service if you need it.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana are basically the same and made in Ohio
A couple years ago, Appliance Brad was gracious enough to talk me through some troubleshooting on our refrigerator.

It turned out that he had basically the same model in his home, just the brand label different, Maytag vs. Amana.

Based on the fact that a knowledgeable guy, who sells and services these appliances, chose one of these for his own use, I would say that it's a pretty safe bet.

We have had two problems with ours in maybe ten years. The first was purely user error and cost me nothing but time, skinned knuckles, and profanity, to cure.

The second problem was cured with a forty dollar part that took me about ten minutes, if that long, to replace. Actually took me longer to read the instructions than it did to replace the part, and I'm a fast reader. Smile

My only regret is that we did not buy a model with larger capacity, but I erroneously figured that being empty-nesters, 22 cubic ft. would be enough for my wife and me. Should have gone with 25 or maybe even 27.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin is an appliance repair guy, he is in the strong recommendation for Whirlpool, Kitchenaide and the like for fridges. We chose Kitchenaide 8 years ago and have no regrets.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Happy with my Bosch

Posts: 4022 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Replaced my 18 year old Whirlpool with a new one a little over a year ago.

It's great.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
We replaced an LG (with which I was never satisfied) with a Whirlpool a few months ago. I like it so far. Someone here cautioned "Don't buy household appliances from people who make cell phones." I think that was solid advice

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We'd buy another Whirlpool but the interiors are terrible, cheap looking and flimsy. I can't see that they have the "Gold" anymore. One more day of shopping and we'll decide. Please keep suggestions and opinions coming.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3403 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been replacing my 25 year old appliances that were made by Amana. The Amana appliances back then were still well made, but have moved down since Whirlpool acquired them. I have been replacing with KitchenAide and have been very happy with the quality. Of course a slight caveat here, my dealer for those appliances is really great regarding service after sale. Also I live within 25 miles of Amana, Iowa where many of the KitchenAide appliances are built. My biggest recommendation is to avoid big box stores and find a local dealer that has high ratings. The small difference in price, if any, will be a distant memory when you don't have to go searching for repairs down the road.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, just don’t get an LG or Samsung. I mean it. Someone offers you $100 to take one, don’t do it.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Amana appliances back then were still well made, but have moved down since Whirlpool acquired them. I have been replacing with KitchenAide and have been very happy with the quality.

I agree. We replaced an older Amana two years ago with a new Amana. I like the shelves and layout and build quality of the older Amana much better. Unfortunately, the repair guy told us the old one wasn't worth fixing...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24160 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Bought a new upright freezer last year, looked at Whirlpool vs Maytag. Identical best we could tell, both by Whirlpool.

We went with the Maytag as it came with a 10 year compressor warranty whereas the Whirlpool did not.

Not sure if same applies to the fridges.Be prepared to wait if you have to order.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Can't help with a brand (different brand in all 3 and longest I lived anywhere is 5 years), but my current house and last 2 houses were French door with the bottom freezer (current one is two slide out freezer drawers which IMO is better than 1). Even though the cubic feet of space may be the same, it's so much more efficient space wise than a side by side. In Alaska, I replaced my kitchen appliances and moved the contents from my completely full side by side fridge and freezer into the new french door version and it was only half full.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KitchenAid and worry about other things.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
We bought new Whirlpool appliances spring 2020 and love them.

My 28 cu ft Whirlpool double door refrigerator's interior is not terrible, cheap looking and flimsy. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Kitchen Aid and have had no problems with it. Going on 9 years. It's french door with separate crisper drawer and bottom freezer.

I have a side by side Frigidaire going on 11 with no problems either.

Kitchen Aid is higher end with more features so not quite apples to apples.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While on the subject of new refrigerators, I have a question. I currently do not have an in-the-door ice dispenser. Are they really good to have or are they more trouble than they're worth?
I currently have a GE and from the responses here I plan to go with a Whirlpool next time.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gocatgo:
While on the subject of new refrigerators, I have a question. I currently do not have an in-the-door ice dispenser. Are they really good to have or are they more trouble than they're worth?
I currently have a GE and from the responses here I plan to go with a Whirlpool next time.

This not too relavent since its a Whirlpool fridge circa 1995. Its a side by side with cube/crushed ice and water dispenser in door. Its still going strong at 26 years.

I use the door dispenser often. If I needs lots of ice for cooler. I slide the entire mechanism out and dump its contents in cooler.

How newer ones will do is what we really want to know.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
quote:
Originally posted by gocatgo:

This not too relavent since its a Whirlpool fridge circa 1995. Its a side by side with cube/crushed ice and water dispenser in door. Its still going strong at 26 years.

I use the door dispenser often. If I needs lots of ice for cooler. I slide the entire mechanism out and dump its contents in cooler.

How newer ones will do is what we really want to know.

Wow, I hope the new Whirlpools last as long as yours. Fat chance, though.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post