SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Done Pandemic Related Bartering?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Done Pandemic Related Bartering? Login/Join 
posted
My Wife did.....more of a swap. Earlier into the pandemic, a friend of hers in our neighborhood posted on Facebook their need for single ply Scott’s toilet paper. They had found thicker multiple ply tp, but due to the age and condition of their sewer line, single ply was more desirable. My Wife on the other hand wandered into Kroger when the store had a three pack limit of 18 roll Scott’s. The swap was our 18 roll of single ply, package for a 12 roll package of multiply paper.
Anybody else have a story?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Not really bartering, but a neighbor is a pharmacist, and he's been keeping all the neighbors supplied with homemade hand sanitizer.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
My wife has been buying goats milk and eggs from a friend in town here. The goats milk is from a 4H goat that didn't get to go to fair.

I hired some work done and paid cash.

I am going to be doing some photography Friday and will be paid in cash.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Yep.

2 boxes of Winchester 9mm NATO for some auto related services, both parties happy, and I have a LOT of that ammo.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bartering goes on ALL the time. BTW the IRS does not look with favor upon those transactions. After major disasters, bartering is pretty standard with the electronics and communication systems nonfunctional. Beer and cigarettes are always good commodities.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I traded a box of .38spl for a bunch of TP early on in the crisis. I traded with a good friend, who I would have given it to if'n he needed it. And he would have done the same with the TP, but we struck a deal.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I replaced my neighbor's backflow preventer and he provided a bottle of Don Julio and Patron Reposado each. That was not the deal, I was not going to accept anything.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
No, but I have done some free repairs for neighbors who couldn't get a "pro" to come address their issue(s). I take that back. One neighbor did bake me an apple pie. Damn that pie was good.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yeah. It involved a donut.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Not really bartering, but a neighbor is a pharmacist, and he's been keeping all the neighbors supplied with homemade hand sanitizer.

Is that what the kids call it nowadays...?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve done that for years.
Back in the computer business days bartering went on with feed stores, chiropractors, animal clinics, even a tire shop or two.
I got a gooseneck trailer painted, new wheels and tires, lights and conspicuity tape for a server/network overhauls a local trailer manufacturing plant.
Pulled some wire at a trailer house dealer and got some trailer house wheels/tires in trade for an old junker trailer I had at the time.
I’ve traded calves for services and other goods.
The list goes on.
And as mentioned before, lots of pies and cakes for helping the older generation with technology. Smile

Uncle Sugar gets his share coming and going as far as I’m concerned. The less he knows about, the better.
A penny saved is a Gov’t oversight.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifey traded some toilet paper to one of the neighbors in exchange for some eggs.

The eggs were so she could make chocolate chip cookies so it worked out well for me.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the donut. I saw that video. Very funny.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We grow our own lettuce and greens and have traded for duck and chicken eggs.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I traded some essentially worthless pieces of green paper for food yesterday.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I barter every week. A friend of mine has a big garden and also has laying hens. I’ll give him ammo, knives, baked goods, deer meat, grass fed beef and sometimes cash for produce and eggs.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post