SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Requesting advice on work boot brands
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting advice on work boot brands Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I'm not in the trades, so I don't need super expensive top of the line quality work boots, but I have to replace my Carhart work boots with something better, after a day in the yard or in my driveway working on cars or running saws, or chainsaw all day, my feet are killing me, and other lower leg and hip parts.

I checked out Georgia Boot brand, great boots I understand, but the bottom soles were not soft or supportive enough for me (flat footed diabetic just to start). Lesser brands are better quality that my Carhart boots, but they didn't fit me well either, or didn't come in half sizes, which I generally need in 11-1/2 Regular D width. I also dropped by a Red Wing store, and those traditionally well-made boots didn't fit as well as I would have hoped, and their construction was not correct with weird forces and strange torsion anomalies lacing up. And they're made in, you guessed it, *!@&#)# China. I called Keen boot company, and they told me they have ZERO stocking retailers for their work boot lines, so I have no way of trying them on. Apparently Keen work boots are no longer their bread and butter, they're making more athletic, hiking, and some woke shit shoes. I'm pretty sure young healthy men can compromise with lesser boots because they can, or don't know any better because they never had high quality footwear before, I don't know.

Have any of you guys solved this problem, and can offer suggestions? Less money is better if possible, but I won't compromise again if I need to spend more. I'd like to keep it under $200 if that's even possible.

Any advice appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Thorogoods & Red Wing Boots are both top quality & made in the USA. I've worn Red Wings for years. I have no experience with Thorogoods, but they always get good reviews.

I don't squander money needlessly, but there are three things that I never skimp on:
Boots
Tires
Toilet paper.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
there are sites you can buy quality used boots lightly used for half price.

My Schnee boots are top quality. Zamberlan, Lowa, Crispi, Hoffman, etc. There are others. Both USA and European made. Avoid the chinese and similar boots.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19229 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing Danner boots daily since 1998. Recommended to me after having foot issues after a motorcycle accident. Not cheap but as they are recraftable they outlast most any others. Wear them on duty (LEO) and off. I have sent some pairs back to be rebuilt 3 times before I had to replace them.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive always had good luck with Carolina. This is my favorite - https://workingperson.com/caro...e-eh-work-boots.html. Made in the USA.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear boots daily. Not many options for me as I have small feet.
Even with a good boot, I would highly recommend a quality insole!

I'm wearing USA made Thorogood now that at first felt like the worst I ever wore. Got "Superfeet" insoles changed the same boots to being very comfortable.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought another pair of Red Wings about 2 weeks ago. I know there's better boots but they're also more money. I have been in Red Wings for a few decades now and about the only boot I wear.
The insoles I replace every time with the Dr. Scholls gel inserts and never had a problem. I'm on my feet a good part of the day and these are steel toed boots.
Have heard good things about Danner and almost all my LEO friends wear them but it's more money than I want to spend.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Strange. I have Keen work boots and got them a couple moths ago. I like them and they sell gel insert I believe if you need them. Many people in the shop wear them.

Also Thorogood is what I see people wearing around here. They look light.

We are required to wear steel or composite tips but I also get the rubber that wraps around the front. I am sure you dont need this though.

Mine last a year and that wearing them about 14 hrs a day.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like the Keens too but any boots or shoes I wear have a good quality aftermarket insole too.
They are not inexpensive but but these are what I've been wearing for years now as I age and they've made a big difference in comfort and joint pain.

https://powerstep.com/products...maxx-support-insoles

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve worn Red wings daily for 30 years. They work for me , sorry you did not find the fit to your liking. Keep looking and you will find what you like.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicks

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Thorogood Moc Toes. They are made with very stiff leather and took a long time to break in. I almost gave up on them as it seemed to be taking forever. Now that they have, they are quite comfortable, and appear they will last a long time before needing resoled.

Posts: 11364 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Danner. Still made in the USA and a supplier to DOD.

Consider orthotics - a custom fit guaranteed and will work in any boot. That machine in Wallyworld might be worth a minute to show how your foot is working. Many of the suppliers send a mold to stand on and then return the custom fitted inserts.

I ran thru those issues changing up sizes and working 40-65 hours a week on my feet. The orthotic inserts and good socks with lots of compression solved most of it.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Check out Timberland Pro.

I went through red wing and other major brands with no success, after 12 hour shifts on industrial concrete floors my feet, knees, and hips were on fire.

Timberland Pro comes in every style depending on your needs from full leather uppers down to tennis shoe style with both steel and composite toe boxes.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Redwing for me. I have a couple of their steel toe work boots. Will likely run you closer to $250, though. Definitely worth it. I don't wear inserts in mine but you might want to try it out.

I like their boots so much I have a pair of their chelsea boots for casual wear.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I love my Danners. Many models are still made in the USA. My first pair went almost 10 years of daily wear getting soaked with water and various cleaning chemicals every day. I had them resoled 5 or 6 times before they were too far gone to rebuild. I have a different career now, and my current pair will probably last literally the rest of my life as they only get occasional wear now when I need a full boot.

I have a pair of slip on Danner Romeos I wear for work now, and while I don't walk anywhere near as much as I used to they still have decent tread after almost 2 years of daily wear. My cat destroyed the leather so I'll just replace them when the soles are gone, but when I do it will be with another pair of Danners.

One thing about the Danners (and possibly other
brands) that will be problematic for you is the lack of cushion. They ship with very minimal interior support and cushion. This makes it easy for you to use your own, but they probably wouldn't work for you right as they come from the factory.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Merrell ($), Danner ($$), and Red Wing ($$$).

The suggestion for orthotic inserts is a good one, since it sounds like you have an issue with low arches that is contributing to your soreness. I have flat feet too, and custom orthotic inserts are a necessity for my running shoes and duty boots.

quote:
I also dropped by a Red Wing store, and those traditionally well-made boots didn't fit as well as I would have hoped, and their construction was not correct with weird forces and strange torsion anomalies lacing up. And they're made in, you guessed it, *!@&#)# China.

Many Red Wings boots are made in USA... You must have been looking at some of their cheaper ones that are made overseas. If you go to their website, you can filter the products to list just those that are made here, using the options on the left hand side. Or go back to the store and let them know that you're only interested in the ones that are Made in USA. But understand they're going to be outside of your <$200 budget. Made in USA carries a premium, and not just when it comes to boots.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/?grid=true

Posts: 32549 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try Irish Setter as well.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wrightd.

You're going to get a LOT of "I like" and may not
really get an answer to your question. So many people with so many different feet. eh?

Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Red Wings have always served me well.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post