SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attn business owners: Federal Mandatory Ownership Reporting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attn business owners: Federal Mandatory Ownership Reporting? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Did anyone else who owns a business get one of these? A $78 filing fee is BULLSHIT. It's not as if the feds don't take enough of our money already.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17294 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression there was no fee for the BOI filing. Are you sure the letter isn't from a 3rd party trying to make it look like an official government letter and offering to file it on your behalf for a fee?

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
It seems legit to me; even the QR code and provided web address link to the same form location, which seems to be the official one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17294 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that.
I’d suspect it’s a scam letter.
The form is only new companies formed in 2024 and later to ID the actual owners and doesn’t have a fee.
The email address on that form posted isn’t a .gov address.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
From the Fincen.gov/boi website (which is the LEGIT website):

“ Alert: FinCEN has been notified of recent fraudulent attempts to solicit information from individuals and entities who may be subject to reporting requirements under the Corporate Transparency Act. The fraudulent correspondence may be titled "Important Compliance Notice" and asks the recipient to click on a URL or to scan a QR code. Those e-mails or letters are fraudulent. FinCEN does not send unsolicited requests. Please do not respond to these fraudulent messages, or click on any links or scan any QR codes within them.”

What you posted is not kosher, it is not a .gov web address.

If you go to the root “deptofbusiness.us” web address it gives you official looking but BS info. The site redirects to tprepamerica.us web address, and shows a logo that says “Business Filing Division a Dept of Taxprep America”

Definitely NOT a legit government website.

Also from the real website, you cannot even file until January.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Send the letter back with "FUCK.YOU." written over it.

Q

Posts: 26459 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
That letter and URL looks fake. I hope the scammers didn't get any money from you.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BBB Scam Tracker says Phishing Scam.

Scam Type
Phishing

Learn More
Business name
Phishing Scam

https://www.bbb.org/scamtracker/lookupscam/787229

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13407 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
It seems legit to me; even the QR code and provided web address link to the same form location, which seems to be the official one.

Scam

Note the email address of "deptofbusiness.us"

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
It's fake, look at the web address it's a ".us" not ".gov". All U.S. government web addresses are .GOV.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Dot "us" is not gov. Dot gov is gov. Sometimes you'll see .us.gov. But the top level .us could be registered by any scammer, and in this case, was.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
There is no government agency with that name. At all.

Somewhere on there is a note in very small print that says "we aren't a government agency" but few people actually read it.

It's 100% a scam, similar to the "Business Owner: Notice, you can be fined a trillion dollars if you don't have these posters" mailings.

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Assholes. Good to know. At least I was skeptical; they put some effort into this one.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems legit to me; ...
Wouldn't be a very good scam if it didn't have the appearance of legitimacy, would it? Wink

One must be exceedingly careful these days. I'm a retired I.T. guy with many years experience and even I am sometimes nearly fooled by some of the stuff that arrives in my inbox.
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Dot "us" is not gov. Dot gov is gov. ... But the top level .us could be registered by any scammer, and in this case, was.
This ^^^^^
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
There is no government agency with that name. At all.
Yeah, "Department of Records Management" and "Department of Business" are kind of dead give-aways.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Kicking myself for not seeing it so easily now. It probably didn't help that it came at the worst time- sick for 2 days with almost no sleep. These people should be put against a wall and shot.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This is common with many state and federal registration requirements. There are companies that get the list of active businesses in the state, then send an official looking notice with a fee that they can "register" your business.

Got them forever on my company, and at first you'd think it was an official government form but like with the .us address it's clearly not an official federal form.

Posts: 23540 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
These people maggots should be put against a wall and shot.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it.

Q

Posts: 26459 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
agreed

you only need to do this once or twice, and scammers will get the idea

it should be national policy to track down scammers and make their remaining lives excruciatingly painful

again, do this once or twice and the scammers will go away

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Send the letter back with "FUCK.YOU." written over it.
While I did not use your exact terminology, I have replied to a few of these scams, inviting them to sit on a cactus.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have never received one of those.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5912 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post