SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:
Any recommendations for a car magnet mount antenna for 2 Meter?

I have a Nagoya UT-72 that works for me on UHF/VHF and GMRS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That's the same one I bought about 2 weeks ago, and it seems to work fairly well. I primarily use it indoors on a cookie sheet since I rarely leave the house anymore, but so far I like it. The only thing I don't like is that skinny little adapter cable, but it is a necessity. Biggest issue is the weight of the coax cable far exceeds the radio, even with the extended power battery pack, so the radio doesn't like to stand up on the lamp table beside my chair where I normally use it. LOL... 1st world problems! Big Grin

Posts: 4778 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I have a feeling I'm going to collect some antennas...

it will resemble "the holster drawer" Big Grin

That's what I am afraid of...

Posts: 4778 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, the CHIRP video is quite helpful.

That is the one that allowed me to use the software. When I first installed it I felt like an idiot because I couldn't figure out what to do with it (and this coming from a strong computer/IT background Roll Eyes).

posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is keeping those radios viable in the possibility of an EMP event. I keep mine in a metal ammo can which hopefully will act as a Faraday cage. Most of us will have one of those lying around and it keeps all of the required items in one place.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Ground plane, ah, another...ongoing saga. Wink

It's quite simple really... that's before the plane's wheels leave the runway! Cool

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Another thing to consider is keeping those radios viable in the possibility of an EMP event. I keep mine in a metal ammo can which hopefully will act as a Faraday cage. Most of us will have one of those lying around and it keeps all of the required items in one place.

Good idea, but I have to wonder... doesn't a Faraday cage have to be grounded to function? If so, that ammo can would need to be grounded also.

Hopefully someone much smarter than I can answer this question so I'll know if I need to ground mine or not!

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Posted back on page 7 Wink
quote:
Next project will be to build a Faraday "bucket". Subscribed to his channel and watched some of his past live streams. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here. He was more into gun videos before getting into HAM. He's also into 3D-Printing. Let pray Para doesn't get into that. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rx7VjhfoFU

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9435 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bill, you have five posts on this page. Don't do that. Do not spam this thread. This is a thirty page thread. People are trying to glean information from it. One post at a time, please.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109045 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I suppose my goal is to have a decent reach at home, in the car, or on the trail (without breaking the bank). A lot of the repeater traffic is signal checks, antenna discussion, and capabilities of these little HTs. They're trying to work out the bugs ( a lot of simplex traffic and digital noise) so folks can contact the repeater with the best results. Atmospheric conditions will still do what they do though.

Posts: 3595 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
quote:
Any recommendations for a car magnet mount antenna for 2 Meter?

I have a Nagoya UT-72 that works for me on UHF/VHF and GMRS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That's the same one I bought about 2 weeks ago, and it seems to work fairly well. I primarily use it indoors on a cookie sheet since I rarely leave the house anymore, but so far I like it. The only thing I don't like is that skinny little adapter cable, but it is a necessity. Biggest issue is the weight of the coax cable far exceeds the radio, even with the extended power battery pack, so the radio doesn't like to stand up on the lamp table beside my chair where I normally use it. LOL... 1st world problems! Big Grin

That skinny little adapter cable is actually pretty useful in real world use. The thicker coax to the antenna is a lot heaver and stiffer, a few inches of the thin stuff makes it a lot easier to pick up and manipulate the radio.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
That's the same one I bought about 2 weeks ago, and it seems to work fairly well. I primarily use it indoors on a cookie sheet since I rarely leave the house anymore, but so far I like it. The only thing I don't like is that skinny little adapter cable, but it is a necessity.

I bought two of the UT-72G antennas last week to use as mobiles and they work decently. But I'm finding height is the name of the game in getting range out of my radios. As an experiment, I placed one of the 72Gs on the roof of my backyard BBQ area 9.5' feet off the ground and improved my longest range from my home handheld to a my wife's car, 7 1/2 miles. I'm sure if I get the antenna higher, the range will further improve.

quote:
I suppose my goal is to have a decent reach at home, in the car, or on the trail

The reason I'm researching equipment for a base station setup. My handhelds are great for local in town, 3 1/2 miles is the best we got with the stock antennas. Right now, my focus is on a base antenna and a means to get the sucker up as high as I can within the limits placed on me, along with the coax cable.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, height is important to extend signal range, primary because you increase the line of sight aspect for these frequencies.

Don't forget to check the mygmrs.com site. You may have a GMRS repeater network in your area already, which you can tap in to for extended range.

CERT (civilian emergency response teams) use GMRS for comms and may have been able to put repeaters up in strategic locations. Not sure if they closed these to just their CERT members or not.

CERT also uses Amateur Radio, as I have tested many batches of CERT members for amateur radio license.

Also, if you place an antenna outside and live in a frequent lighting storm area, be cure to properly ground the antenna outside before it enters the house. Ability to also quickly disconnect the connection from outside to inside is a good idea too.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1690 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

I became a member of mygmrs.com, I also joined their forum. I tried to radio test three different GMRS repeaters with both factory and external antennas, and nope, I'm out of range. The closest one to me is 8 miles away and if I drive a couple of miles closer with a mobile antenna, I can get a "kerchunk" (squelch tail) on my handheld. The other two are 12-15 miles away, and no signal.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's become apparent via this thread that in order for most of us to be able to reach repeaters in our area, we need more than HTs pushing a nominal 8 watts at best, and we need a stationary antenna with as much height as practical.

Perhaps one of the ham radios intended for mobile installation, running off an inverter, as a member displayed earlier in this thread. In this way, a unit might be kept at home but also put into a vehicle for mobile use, unmounted.

Otherwise, with our piddly Boofwengs, we'll be limited to monitoring only, or transmitting within our immediate vicinity.

What about the use of these straight-wire, grounded antennas? I have tall trees behind my house. Will a simple antenna such as this give me the ability to reach out? The antenna is the real issue, because if a straight wire won't work to get me to repeaters in my area, the only choice is to mount an antenna, and I don't think I can afford to do that.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is that with the price of these things we probably aren't the only one's in our neighborhoods that have them. If they were needed there would probably be a lot of activity and a mile or two might get needed help.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I have two repeaters close to my house, I can just barely hit the weak one which is the closest to my house and it is an open one. The one with more watts is on top of the local hospital about 9 stories tall, no problems hitting it or receiving from it. Weak one is 5 miles away and the stronger one is 8 miles away. The weak one is open and the stronger one is club run(membership). Will be getting my 50 watt Base/mobile radio this week and will see how it does. Have been looking at making a telescoping PVC pipe to raise my antenna even higher. Probable will join the club to access the stronger repeater, lots of traffic since they are all on a net which covers 3-4 states.

Posts: 3776 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
One thing to keep in mind is that with the price of these things we probably aren't the only one's in our neighborhoods that have them. If they were needed there would probably be a lot of activity and a mile or two might get needed help.
It would be folly to rely on such a thing.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I like this option from PowerWerx for a Mobile Radio Base Station. Cool

https://powerwerx.com/mblcovr-...se-station-enclosure

I live on a BIG hill and have multiple FM repeaters (on 2M VHF & 70cm UHF) within a few miles of my home. Those repeaters are also located on BIG hills, and are 2.5 mi, 3.25 mi & 5.5 mi away. My plan is to put a vertical mast Base Antenna in my attic as I've got room for at least a 9' Antenna up there, and with a 50W Mobile Radio set up as a base station, I should be able to reach anyone I need to contact.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9435 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's become apparent via this thread that in order for most of us to be able to reach repeaters in our area, we need more than HTs pushing a nominal 8 watts at best, and we need a stationary antenna with as much height as practical.

Terrain is a huge factor. I've read accounts from guys who can get reach 12 miles in simplex mode on their stock HTs, but live in a flat desert area with a smattering of homes and buildings. Or guys who can get a lot of range because they live on a hillside and contact people who live in the valley below. My terrain is metroplex suburbia with a lot of houses, outdoor malls, industrial parks, etc. Not as bad as a big city urban area, but without the help of my small 20" mobile antennas, I can't reach beyond 3.5 miles. And for me to go out even further, since I'm interested in getting some distance without repeaters, a base antenna looks to be a mandatory piece of equipment, whether I use a HT or a mobile/base unit.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that's why I'm asking about simple straightwire antennas, slung from a tree, and grounded.

Didn't a member mention fairly early in this thread about talking to someone halfway around the world with such an antenna?

This is what I'm talking about: Random Wire Antenna
quote:
If used for transmitting, a random wire antenna usually will also require an antenna tuner, as it has an unpredictable impedance that varies with frequency. One side of the output of the tuner is connected directly to the antenna, without a transmission line, the other to a good earth ground. A wire near an odd number of a quarter-waves in length works best; in contrast, a wire near an even number of quarter-wavelengths long, although fine for receiving, on transmit will exceed the matching ability of most small tuners, unless first fed through an unun with a large transform ratio.