SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in getting a ham license but I'm probably going to pick up a pair of UV-5R's for the sole purpose of monitoring the ham frequencies, which I can't do with my GMRS radios. I look at it as they're so damn cheap, and as others have said could be used as barter down the road or used as transmitters in an emergency, albeit against FCC rules.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Henderson (Vegas), Nevada | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Hi, all.

I am having some difficulty verifying that my setup for a GMRS repeater that is located rather close to me, likely within a couple miles. I have attempted a "kerchunk" on the repeater channel and not received the tell-tale green light and static sent back by the repeater verifying that it answered. I also tried announcing my call sign in a test transmission requesting an acknowledgement back from anyone listening and got nothing in return. I tried this from my house as well as on the road in my vehicle closer to the repeater location on a relatively high hill.

Chris,

I'm no expert, I've been programming manually for 2 days and just got the feedback from repeater and (and a few real life folks) earlier today. What I'm seeing in your post, with my basic understanding and limited success, looks correct.

I programmed 3 repeaters, I only had luck with 1 of them. Even after driving around today/tonight looking to see if the other 2 worked in different parts of town to no avail, a second repeater hit while I was upstairs in my condo. It only hits on one side of the building. This is a long winded way of asking, are you sure you're within range?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9749 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Has anyone considered this Tiradio set? It sits between the Baofeng 5, and the Tiradio 8.

Tiradio 5R

I'm going to buy something, but if this is significantly better than the $40 Baofeng, I'll go the additional $. I'm not sure I want to invest $140 in the Ti8 if this isn't something I get into.

Thanks.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12927 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At the moment, I'm radio model-saturated. The iterations of the BaoFeng alone make my head spin.

Posts: 109097 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way. If I get into this, then I'll spend whatever is needed, but for now, I'm trying to make the best entry level decision I can.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12927 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Has anyone considered this Tiradio set? It sits between the Baofeng 5, and the Tiradio 8.

Tiradio 5R

I'm going to buy something, but if this is significantly better than the $40 Baofeng, I'll go the additional $. I'm not sure I want to invest $140 in the Ti8 if this isn't something I get into.

Thanks.

I believe P220forever may have ordered those. If so, take note of the style of antenna connector as it may not be compatible with the BF radios. I'm sure there's an easy workaround should that be the case. They discussed on page 11.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9749 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I believe P220forever may have ordered those. If so, take note of the style of antenna connector as it may not be compatible with the BF radios. I'm sure there's an easy workaround should that be the case. They discussed on page 11.

I actually have these, the GMRS only version of those in his link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097...product_details&th=1
They're great but I subsequently bought a pair of Wouxun KG-935G Plus GMRS radios that seem to be the favorite GMRS HT radio of a lot of experts. They are indeed very, very nice. I added Nagoya 771G antennas to both pairs and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Henderson (Vegas), Nevada | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tiradio 5R

Thanks.

That's what I bought because with the programming cable and larger batteries, it seemed to be the best deal for the money. I figured they'd be fun to try out and good backups if I decided to get better radios later on.

Posts: 11663 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Do I need to program these $20 Baofeng UV-5R radios?

I have both on the same channel and frequency but can't hear anything when I transmit.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8165 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Put them both in frequency mode, the orange button.
Press the blue A/B button so the triangle is in the top line of the display.
Punch in 444000 on both radios.
Seperate the radios.
Press the transmit button on one radio.

The red light should light up on the radio you pressed the transmit button on.
The green light should light up on the other radio.

Having them too close together can cause problems. It's like they are shouting at each other.

Posts: 11663 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220forever:
They're great but I subsequently bought a pair of Wouxun KG-935G Plus GMRS radios that seem to be the favorite GMRS HT radio of a lot of experts. They are indeed very, very nice. I added Nagoya 771G antennas to both pairs and couldn't be happier.

I purchased the same radios yesterday afternoon, they shipped today. I did a phone order with buytwowayradios.com and I found out they accidentally packed the short 701 antennas instead of the longer 771 I verbally ordered. But their CS is great; after a phone call this morning, they will send me an RA/UPS label and will ship/switch out the antennas at no extra charge.

These are of course GMRS transmit radios, but also receive the VHF/UHF bands (2 meter, 7cm), and also the NOAA channels as well. This weekend, my wife and I are going to get to know these radios. I'll post pics/results.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17181 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tiradio 5R

Thanks.

In the $140 range I’d be looking at a Yaesu FT-60R from GigaParts.com or Hamradio.com. They are regarded as one of the best no frills dual banders from a major manufacturer. The ones on Amazon I saw are overpriced.

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Chris,

I'm no expert, I've been programming manually for 2 days and just got the feedback from repeater and (and a few real life folks) earlier today. What I'm seeing in your post, with my basic understanding and limited success, looks correct.

I programmed 3 repeaters, I only had luck with 1 of them. Even after driving around today/tonight looking to see if the other 2 worked in different parts of town to no avail, a second repeater hit while I was upstairs in my condo. It only hits on one side of the building. This is a long winded way of asking, are you sure you're within range?

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll program a few more repeaters in my area and keep trying.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
<<snip>>
For the record, I am studying for my HAM license to be 100% legal, and I am considering "upgrading" to the Type 75 Part 95 approved radios so that I can use GMRS legally also. Had I understood all of this confusing mess before purchase, I would have gone with GMRS radios to begin with. I also prefer doing things the right way!

After a bit of thought, I went ahead and placed the order for the Type 75 Part 95 approved radio pair from Amazon. They will supposedly arrive in 2 days... we'll see. Will keep the others while deciding what to do with them.

Edit to add: After seeing the differences vs. price, I cancelled the Boofwang radio order and went with the Tiradio UV-5R set instead for a few more dollars. Supposed to arrive in 2 days...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Posts: 4784 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
<<snip>>
For the record, I am studying for my HAM license to be 100% legal, and I am considering "upgrading" to the Type 75 approved radios so that I can use GMRS legally also. Had I understood all of this confusing mess before purchase, I would have gone with GMRS radios to begin with. I also prefer doing things the right way!

After a bit of thought, I went ahead and placed the order for the Type 75 approved radio pair from Amazon. They will supposedly arrive in 2 days... we'll see. Will keep the others while deciding what to do with them.

GMRS is USC 47 Part 95, not 75. I’m guessing that’s what you meant.

Posts: 3974 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned earlier I'm not interested in getting a ham license but I wanted a decent low priced radio for monitoring purposes only to compliment my GMRS radios that I'm licensed for transmitting usage.
I just bought this one, a nice upgrade of the venerable UV-5R - the Baofeng UV-21R:

https://www.amazon.com/Handhel...+%2Caps%2C316&sr=8-1

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, if you transmit on ham radio bands without a license, the ham radio hall monitors are going to be all over you.

The license is not hard to get and costs next to nothing. The study materials are plentiful and free and the exam costs less than a trip to McDonald's these days.

It's best to do it right.

Having said that, yes, in my rank amateur opinion, that looks like a whole lot of radio for 30 bucks.

Posts: 109097 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, if you transmit on ham radio bands without a license, the ham radio hall monitors are going to be all over you.

The license is not hard to get and costs next to nothing. The study materials are plentiful and free and the exam costs less than a trip to McDonald's these days.

It's best to do it right.

Having said that, yes, in my rank amateur opinion, that looks like a whole lot of radio for 30 bucks.

The longer I'm in the radio game the more my interest in getting a ham Technician license will increase but for now at least I can communicate legally over GMRS. Like a lot of us here I'm just starting to get my feet wet and I'm able to easily and clearly communicate with my brother 30 miles away using GMRS repeaters.
I want to thank you sir for perking up everyone's interest in this important aspect of preparedness! Smile

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I bought a Baofeng a couple of years ago. Every now and then I will monitor a couple of local GMRS repeaters just for kicks. I can hear other people talking, and will sometimes join in.

I did pay the FCC ransom of $35 and got my GMRS license just to be legal, and use my call sign to identify myself and keep the GMRS hall monitors off my case.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tiradio 5R<<snip>>

Just ordered them this morning to replace the Boofwang UV-5R's that were not legal on FRS or GMRS...

Posts: 4784 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post