SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Problem with making posts that leave out words unintentionally
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with making posts that leave out words unintentionally Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I want to see if anyone here have this problem, or is it just me.

I write something, post it. Then, some time later, I go back and read the post, and there it is, some word is MIA. But, I distinctly remember typing in everything. I'm not a fast typer at all, so it's not like I just carelessly flying through posting it. And, it happens anywhere. On my PC, laptop, or cell phone, doesn't matter, it will happen. Sometimes, the omission results in a sentence that makes little sense. Other times, it says the complete opposite of what I wanted to write. An example follows, in this thread, https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6480053374

I initially wrote, "Yeah, I would call a bean bag a piece of furniture", but, an hour later, I went back and spotted the word "not" missing, which completely changes the intended meaning. Roll Eyes

This problem is something that just started this year, and quite frequently. Don't recall ever dealing with this previously. Very strange. Anyone here have to deal with this?

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Getting old sucks!! Razz Big Grin Big Grin

(You threw a softball, I couldn't resist!) Wink

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
But, I distinctly remember typing in everything.
In plain English, tell me what you're suggesting.

Posts: 107666 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. We're rowing that same brain-fart boat (see...originally typed "both" Big Grin) together, doc. I've wanted to post something for quite a while now, that PLEADS with everyone to edit their posts before clicking "Post Now" or at least proofread AFTER it's posted. There are some posts I've read that convince me the author has a room temperature IQ, and I KNOW that's not the case. Or they're just plain drunk. Big Grin Posting from a cell phone contributes GREATLY to this frustration...

I hate to be a spelling and grammar Nazi, but sometimes it gets unbearable!! For you, doc, I think you're brain is thinking faster than your fingers can type. Smile

I stared at my computer for 5 minutes the other day trying to figure out why I couldn't access my bank account online. It was the correct username. Ohhhhhhhhhhh...I put a space in where there shouldn't be any at all. JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Could be grammatical and spell checking software in your browser, on my iStuff it's unreal what will show up with Voice to Text, and even when I type, words that I never used appear, not even close to what was input.

Or you're out thinking your fingers.... thoughts way out in front of the typing ability.

I've read several posts here where it appears software has changed the word the author intended, not so much as left out words.

People you know can spell or use proper grammar with incorrect words... and there are wrong words in the text..

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
But, I distinctly remember typing in everything.
In plain English, tell me what you're suggesting.

Not suggesting anything. I'm just saying that I remember I typed every word I wanted to type. An example is given in the OP. I remember typing every single word, but then, when I went back a looked, the word "not" was missing.

Q

Posts: 26436 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, the word just disappeared.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, the word just disappeared.

Hey, you just corrected yourself. Big Grin

Q

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm in this thread because of the subject line you chose, and because of the confounding post of yours in it. I'm asking you what this is about. I'm asking you what this is supposed to mean. You say you're suggesting nothing in particular. Explain all of this to me, please.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hey, could be getting old. Could be my brain playing trick on me. I'll just have to read and re-read my writing carefully before posting.
If you think there is any deeper meaning than what I'm posting, there is not.

Q

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have that happen, but not just here on SF, if that's what you're asking.

The brain is a tricky thing. It tends to see what it expects to see. So, yeah: You meant to type in something, typed something very close, but not the same, and your brain saw what it expected to see.

And, at least with me, it isn't old age. I've had this happening to me for as long as I can recall.

This is why I often go back and re-read my own posts long after I've posted them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a common problem for most people due to the fact that the brain thinks and processes faster than you can type and also because the brain processes and is conditioned over time to "see" (horrible term to use) a word even though it is not there

I had a horrible problem with this when I was in school (high school and college) and also typing police reports. I really had to learn what term proof reading meant.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've learned to read my posts before I click the post now button.
Not just here but on any web pages where I'm posting something. I can look at the screen while typing sometimes and see a lag between hitting the key and the letter appearing onscreen. I chalk that up to the connection speed or some other technical glitch that could be in several places. I have not been missing complete words.
I've also noticed some transposed letters resulting in some weird spellings but that's probably a slow connection between my brain and my fingers.
My settings have all been changed, whenever possible, to not let a spell checker just change words, they just highlight suspected errors and let me fix them.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It happens to me too. I'll draft up a communication to send out for work and read it 3-5 times before I hit send. Often I'll go back and read it an hour later and BAM, there it is...or isn't, one word that can completely change the meaning. Frustrating to say the least.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I think it’s just a matter of your brain convincing itself of what you rehearsed to yourself while typing. I do it all the time, sometimes even proofreading and still missing something I notice after posting. It’s just we know what we want to say, we are mentally saying it in our head and then our fingers just outpace us as said above. Then we read it quickly, sometimes even mentally inserting a word we missed because we know the dialogue in our head.

My profession is testing software and it’s so easy for a developer to overlook the smallest syntax sometimes that breaks something because they were too close to the thing they were creating, building/fixing for days on end.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First graders do not have this problem. They look carefully at each word and letter.

I read very quickly in most cases and would easily miss if a word was left out. I leave out words when I type so I try to proofread after I post.

Posts: 17256 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Ummm, 1 7HOGH7 W17HOU7 W45 ON3 WORD, BU7 UOUR PO57 4BOV3 BR34K5 17 1N7O 7WO WORD5.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I want to know what kind of drugs they were on when they came up with this idea.
This must be easier than they think because I could actually do it.

Posts: 9530 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Glad it's not just me.

Q