SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever look at the Library of Congress website?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever look at the Library of Congress website? Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted
https://www.loc.gov/resource/

The site has newspaper archives from 1900-1999. I've been having fun searching the archives with names of relatives.
Found a lot of little articles, mostly on the 'society pages' of our local newspaper, that were really interesting.

I never knew one of my uncles, when he was 13 in 1932, tried to save a 15 year old boy that drowned in a local pond.
I found an article from 1943 showing a picture of my father when he completed B24 combat training and was being sent to Europe.
All told, I found about 25 little things about graduations, honor rolls, weddings, anniversaries, etc.

Nothing really important, but fun to read and find out.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes. That's how I found this. You can learn much about your country from carefully perusing old newspapers, and the LOC site has much more than that.

Perusing newspapers from the 1820s through the 1860s can let you see the conditions and attitudes in the lead-up to the Civil War. The Northern newspapers despised Southerners and the Southern newspapers despised Northerners and you can see the vitriol bleeding from the pages.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post