SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    boy scout gift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

boy scout gift Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
what are some gift suggestions for a boy scout? say $20 - $100 ballpark?

i'm not even sure of the age group ranges.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
first pocket knife

Posts: 3737 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Small flashlight & batteries.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Boy Scout Pocket Knife (Red)?

https://www.amazon.com/Victori...Pocket/dp/B0007QCOOW

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^^ This, or a Headlamp.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8957 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Maybe one of the Leatherman tools, or a really cool flint fire starter "kit", or a Camelbak hydration pack

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Boy Scout Pocket Knife

wow - that has all the good stuff and none of the crap. I vote that one.

Peter

Posts: 95 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Trying to think back to my scouting days. A young scout probably doesn't have a knife or good flashlight. A more experienced scout may have knife & flashlight but not a leatherman. The parents may know what is at the top of the young man's wish list.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buck has an official BSA emblem lockback knife. They will engrave the blade with one or 2 lines. For my son and his 6 webelos friends that just bridged to scouts we got them each one with the pack number on the blade. One of the dads from last year has a computer powered engraver and he then engraved their name and the year into the aluminum scale. I think the knives were ~37$ each delivered with blade engraved.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buck has an official BSA emblem lockback knife.

I had that very knife a long time ago, and it served me well. Its only fault was that it slipped out of my pocket, never to be seen again. I have since only carried knives with a clip. I now carry the Gerber Air Ranger, which has become very reasonably priced:
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-...-45860/dp/B000670CRS

Peter

Posts: 95 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Swiss Army Explorer II is my favorite. It is one of the few that has both a corkscrew and a phillips head screwdriver, and bonus points for having a straight pin, pen, and magnifying glass (magnifying glass and pin is useful for removing spliters--more so than the tweezers).

I still have the Deluxe Tinker I received as an Eagle Scout gift almost 20 years ago, but I carry my Explorer II if I need a SAK.

If it's a slightly older Scout and they allow fixed blades, a Mora Robust or a Mora Stainless would be a good gift.

I've been lusting after a quality hatchet as of late, and the Counsel Tools Wood Craft Camp Carver is on my list. If I were getting my Eagle again, I'd be thrilled with that as a gift.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
All good ideas here.

Knife (just not a sheath knife)
Multi tool
Flashlight
Good compass

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the Troop and how 'they enforce' certain qualifications, he may not be able to carry/use a knife until he's earned his Totin'Chip badge.

The above aside, a multi-tool is pretty handy.
Nice compass (provided the troop is active in land-nav)
Uniform items get costly and add up fast for the parents so, shorts, socks, perhaps a new uniform shirt if he's on the verge of a growth spurt.
If the troop is active camp/backpackers, things like: nicer sleeping pad, rain shells, Jetboil stove, utensils/spork, long underwear, first aid kit.
Headlamp is the easiest, lots of uses

Posts: 14694 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Boy Scout Pocket Knife (Red)?

https://www.amazon.com/Victori...Pocket/dp/B0007QCOOW

Nailed it!!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Case Boy Scout themed pocket knife.

IMO, after watching other scouts within the troop, including my own son, you don't need a lot of blades....those knives are harder to carry (i.e., thick) and most blades go completely unused. Actually, pocket knives aren't frequently used in my sons' troop anyway in the daily goings on so it's more of a keepsake/tool than one that it used heavily on every outing.

That being said, try Shepherd Hills Cutlery....they frequently offer a number of them. Search for "Boy Scout" under type of "HANDLE". There are usually a few listings there......

https://www.casexx.com/

Besides a knife, I would suggest...

* Frogg Toggs
* A portable/packable camp chair or stool (it would get used EVERY SINGLE outing)
* Head Lamp headgear
* A good mess kit (I bought some German military surplus mess kits for me and my son and from Midway USA...really top notch stuff)

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High end Silva compass.
Gift card from Maxpedition.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Great ideas!

I should have noted - I'm looking for a second gift as I already have a Victorinox Huntsman ready to go.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Get him a good compass. I still have the Silva compass I was given when I as a Scout. It still works.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need more details...what age is the boy? Scouts can be 11 up to 18. Scouts aren't allowed to carry a knife until they earn the Totin' Chip. A nice folding knife only if they have earned the Totin' Chip, otherwise a nice headlamp, a compass, a good sleeping bag, anything a Scout can use outdoors.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Great ideas!

I should have noted - I'm looking for a second gift as I already have a Victorinox Huntsman ready to go.

I'd suggest a nice headlamp from REI.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post