SIGforum
boy scout gift

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5820049354

February 26, 2019, 07:32 AM
f2
boy scout gift
what are some gift suggestions for a boy scout? say $20 - $100 ballpark?

i'm not even sure of the age group ranges.
February 26, 2019, 07:35 AM
h2oys
first pocket knife
February 26, 2019, 07:57 AM
cne32507
Small flashlight & batteries.
February 26, 2019, 08:01 AM
M-11
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Boy Scout Pocket Knife (Red)?

https://www.amazon.com/Victori...Pocket/dp/B0007QCOOW

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas
February 26, 2019, 08:04 AM
nhracecraft
^^^^ This, or a Headlamp.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
February 26, 2019, 08:49 AM
pawprintsdoc
Maybe one of the Leatherman tools, or a really cool flint fire starter "kit", or a Camelbak hydration pack
February 26, 2019, 08:57 AM
dbgeek
quote:
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Boy Scout Pocket Knife

wow - that has all the good stuff and none of the crap. I vote that one.

Peter
February 26, 2019, 09:29 AM
SR
Trying to think back to my scouting days. A young scout probably doesn't have a knife or good flashlight. A more experienced scout may have knife & flashlight but not a leatherman. The parents may know what is at the top of the young man's wish list.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
February 26, 2019, 09:54 AM
ElToro
Buck has an official BSA emblem lockback knife. They will engrave the blade with one or 2 lines. For my son and his 6 webelos friends that just bridged to scouts we got them each one with the pack number on the blade. One of the dads from last year has a computer powered engraver and he then engraved their name and the year into the aluminum scale. I think the knives were ~37$ each delivered with blade engraved.
February 26, 2019, 10:05 AM
dbgeek
quote:
Buck has an official BSA emblem lockback knife.

I had that very knife a long time ago, and it served me well. Its only fault was that it slipped out of my pocket, never to be seen again. I have since only carried knives with a clip. I now carry the Gerber Air Ranger, which has become very reasonably priced:
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-...-45860/dp/B000670CRS

Peter
February 26, 2019, 10:22 AM
Aeteocles
The Swiss Army Explorer II is my favorite. It is one of the few that has both a corkscrew and a phillips head screwdriver, and bonus points for having a straight pin, pen, and magnifying glass (magnifying glass and pin is useful for removing spliters--more so than the tweezers).

I still have the Deluxe Tinker I received as an Eagle Scout gift almost 20 years ago, but I carry my Explorer II if I need a SAK.

If it's a slightly older Scout and they allow fixed blades, a Mora Robust or a Mora Stainless would be a good gift.

I've been lusting after a quality hatchet as of late, and the Counsel Tools Wood Craft Camp Carver is on my list. If I were getting my Eagle again, I'd be thrilled with that as a gift.
February 26, 2019, 10:52 AM
Kravashera
All good ideas here.

Knife (just not a sheath knife)
Multi tool
Flashlight
Good compass

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein
February 26, 2019, 11:06 AM
corsair
Depending on the Troop and how 'they enforce' certain qualifications, he may not be able to carry/use a knife until he's earned his Totin'Chip badge.

The above aside, a multi-tool is pretty handy.
Nice compass (provided the troop is active in land-nav)
Uniform items get costly and add up fast for the parents so, shorts, socks, perhaps a new uniform shirt if he's on the verge of a growth spurt.
If the troop is active camp/backpackers, things like: nicer sleeping pad, rain shells, Jetboil stove, utensils/spork, long underwear, first aid kit.
Headlamp is the easiest, lots of uses
February 26, 2019, 11:08 AM
Pizza Bob
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Boy Scout Pocket Knife (Red)?

https://www.amazon.com/Victori...Pocket/dp/B0007QCOOW

Nailed it!!!

NRA Benefactor Member
February 26, 2019, 11:15 AM
x0225095
Case Boy Scout themed pocket knife.

IMO, after watching other scouts within the troop, including my own son, you don't need a lot of blades....those knives are harder to carry (i.e., thick) and most blades go completely unused. Actually, pocket knives aren't frequently used in my sons' troop anyway in the daily goings on so it's more of a keepsake/tool than one that it used heavily on every outing.

That being said, try Shepherd Hills Cutlery....they frequently offer a number of them. Search for "Boy Scout" under type of "HANDLE". There are usually a few listings there......

https://www.casexx.com/

Besides a knife, I would suggest...

* Frogg Toggs
* A portable/packable camp chair or stool (it would get used EVERY SINGLE outing)
* Head Lamp headgear
* A good mess kit (I bought some German military surplus mess kits for me and my son and from Midway USA...really top notch stuff)

0:01
February 26, 2019, 11:34 AM
YooperSigs
High end Silva compass.
Gift card from Maxpedition.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 26, 2019, 02:37 PM
f2
Great ideas!

I should have noted - I'm looking for a second gift as I already have a Victorinox Huntsman ready to go.
February 26, 2019, 02:52 PM
deepocean
Get him a good compass. I still have the Silva compass I was given when I as a Scout. It still works.
February 26, 2019, 04:34 PM
Les007
Need more details...what age is the boy? Scouts can be 11 up to 18. Scouts aren't allowed to carry a knife until they earn the Totin' Chip. A nice folding knife only if they have earned the Totin' Chip, otherwise a nice headlamp, a compass, a good sleeping bag, anything a Scout can use outdoors.
February 26, 2019, 08:29 PM
Russ59
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Great ideas!

I should have noted - I'm looking for a second gift as I already have a Victorinox Huntsman ready to go.

I'd suggest a nice headlamp from REI.

P229