SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting "Fixed" Soon (Vasectomy)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting "Fixed" Soon (Vasectomy) Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
So we now have 3 little children, our daughter is 3 months old and we are done having any more. I've been to a urology doc about getting a vasectomy and it's going to be scheduled soon.

Anyone else have this done? Hopefully it's not too painful? I was curious why they told me I'd need to stop taking my daily vitamins prior to the procedure? I take a Multi, C and Omega 3 and they told me I would have to stop that for 10 days prior to getting snipped?

Any recovery hints or advice from the SF membership?

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
Mine was less painful than dental work.

Rest and ice for a day or two.

Don't be surprised if you have bleeding, but it should be minimal.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 620 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I went 'under the knife' on Friday, 11/6.

10 minutes & done, once he got started.

Still a bit tender today, but walking around is a lot easier than it was over the weekend.

Definitely keep ibuprofen handy, unless you need something stronger.

My doc prescribed a narcotic, but I didn't pick it up.

I kept off my feet all weekend (scheduled mine for a Friday on purpose), and am working from home today.

Overall, it's been easier than I expected it to be. They had nitrous on offer, but I declined.
I'd advise having someone there to drive you home.
But, I've no experience with any kind of surgery (unless you count dental [not oral surgeon] extraction of wisdom teeth), so I had some strong anxiety going in. Doc did a good job keeping me talking/distracted while he got the job done. Opened with a funny exchange, for sure.

Dr: Ready to go?
Me: Well, I'm here [laugh]
Dr: Got plans for the weekend?
Me: Going horseback riding tomorrow
Dr: You're fucking with me, right?

Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I had my choice between 3 docs at the practice, spanning several decades between them in age. They each do it a bit differently based on how they have done it based on their original training.

I chose the youngest doc.

Wasn't a big deal at all. They want you to remain as immobile as possible for a few days and keep things iced down. They will warn you that everything will feel fine, but to remain immobile and with ice. Follow that advice.

I'm positive I've read stories here on the forum of those who felt fine and carried on with life with some immediate regrets.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Did it in 1975. No regerts Ice will be your friend.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
My son, having 3 children, had the procedure done several years ago.
He remained at rest for several days and iced as instructioned.
All went well.
His urologist was Dr Stopp. Seriously.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you'll stop lifting your leg indoors now and not go psycho when the UPS leaves a package.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Listen to the doc's recommendations, ice, rest and don't lift anything heavy for a few days. If you feel like it was nothing after the procedure, don't go out and do yard work. I used to work with a guy who did that. He said his scrotum was black and blue and the berries were quite swollen. When I had mine done, the only thing I didn't do that the doc recommended was bring a jock strap for the ride home. It wasn't too bad though. Things might have changed since I had mine in 1993. Good luck, and take it easy for a few days. Also, go back for the test to see if it was successful. Many guys don't do that and a few end up with a surprise down the road.

Posts: 372 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Hopefully you'll stop lifting your leg indoors now and not go psycho when the UPS leaves a package.

Big Grin Yeah, but the shedding is going to get worse.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I watched mine done. It was interesting and not too painful. Recovery times can vary.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ROEMfjqo9VM

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17626 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just get used to talking falsetto. Razz

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the CONE until you get used to it. Good luck.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
A word of caution:

If you feel like normal, DO NOT think you can perform tasks like normal.

Rest the prescribed duration and go EASY whether you feel any ill-effects or not.

Refusing to do so will put you in a world of pain you wish you didn't have to know.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6626 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had mine done the day after President Reagan was shot and I was arguing gun control with the doctor. I realized he had a very sharp knife in his hand and I shut up.

REST, you will feel good and want to do dumb stuff. Don't or you will add 2 basketballs to your collection. Do what the doctor says.

Use some other sort of protection until the doctor is positive you are shooting blanks. I have a good friend with a beautiful 10 year old daughter who was a total surprise.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frozen peas, corn...
A few cold beers while sitting on the couch watching TV.

There's your weekend plans.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe will help your recently reported severe sleep apnea. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not going to give anybody any medical advice, but if you have a family history of prostate cancer, I urge you to google "vasectomy and prostate cancer" before you go under the knife. The Mayo clinic and other credible medical sources do have a lot to say on the subject.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Rest for three or four days. I tried to do too much after mine, and was rewarded with a lot of pain and swelling.

As for the vasectomy itself, no regerts!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I got mine done about 5 years ago. My family Doc does them in his office, but there was something weird with one of my tubes (apparently nothing that affected function, because I have 4 kids!) so he opted to send me to the regional dick butcher in Ft. Wayne instead.

I went to this little windowless office in the interior of the hospital complex...there's an exam table, and stains on the floor...blood or iodine, I'm not sure. Nurse comes in, tells me how to get prepped, and then leaves. Then the doc comes in. Quiet little man, no personality...you can tell all he does is go from room to room chopping up ball sacks all day, every day.

Procedure took about 15 minutes. Just a local anesthetic, no cutting pain, but it felt like he was pulling my tonsils out through my groin. Once he got done, he told me I was good to go, and not to forget to pick up my sack on the way out. I looked at him with a WTF expression on my face, and asked him "uh, what was that!?!?" Apparently there was a bag at the registration desk with care and follow-up instructions that I was supposed to take with me, and it was not his attempt at a joke...or maybe it was...I couldn't tell.

I took it easy for a couple of days...laid on the couch, bags of frozen peas, etc. Was back to work Monday. No issues, and apparently it worked because it's been 5 years and we haven't had any more kids (I didn't do the follow-up sample...I was done with that place).

A guy I know had one done shortly after I did at a different hospital. His experience was very different...nice place, personable staff...he said they gave him valium and he said he didn't feel a thing.

Posts: 9251 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Bags of frozen peas are your friend.

Don't be a hero... just take it easy for a few days and keep it iced.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post