SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting "Fixed" Soon (Vasectomy)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting "Fixed" Soon (Vasectomy) Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
It was not fun, but it's pretty easy. Recovery is a few days. Ice helps.

Do NOT have unprotected sex until the lab confirms that your swimmers are gone.

I know somebody that never went back for the follow-up, and had a follow-up kid. Smile I've heard about several more.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I had it done a little over a year ago. The procedure was really easy — took about 30mins. My doc gave me a Valium to take prior and that made me really relaxed but I was still present.

I tested “clear” about a month later and it’s been MORE than worth it .. absolutely zero regrets and highly recommended.

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I got mine done about 5 years ago. My family Doc does them in his office, but there was something weird with one of my tubes (apparently nothing that affected function, because I have 4 kids!) so he opted to send me to the regional dick butcher in Ft. Wayne instead.

I went to this little windowless office in the interior of the hospital complex...there's an exam table, and stains on the floor...blood or iodine, I'm not sure. Nurse comes in, tells me how to get prepped, and then leaves. Then the doc comes in. Quiet little man, no personality...you can tell all he does is go from room to room chopping up ball sacks all day, every day.

Procedure took about 15 minutes. Just a local anesthetic, no cutting pain, but it felt like he was pulling my tonsils out through my groin. Once he got done, he told me I was good to go, and not to forget to pick up my sack on the way out. I looked at him with a WTF expression on my face, and asked him "uh, what was that!?!?" Apparently there was a bag at the registration desk with care and follow-up instructions that I was supposed to take with me, and it was not his attempt at a joke...or maybe it was...I couldn't tell.

I took it easy for a couple of days...laid on the couch, bags of frozen peas, etc. Was back to work Monday. No issues, and apparently it worked because it's been 5 years and we haven't had any more kids (I didn't do the follow-up sample...I was done with that place).

A guy I know had one done shortly after I did at a different hospital. His experience was very different...nice place, personable staff...he said they gave him valium and he said he didn't feel a thing.

Wrong story to read post-op.
Laughing is still a bit tender, but got a good chuckle from yours.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I had a complication with mine, something got twisted or caught the day or so after the procedure, I had to go in a get it repaired.

Overall it wasn't the most fun I've had, I'd rate mine a step above a root canal. However, I am glad I had it done and would not hesitate to do it.

Oh, and my wife says I got "broken"... everything worked just fine beforehand, so there nothing to "fix" Smile

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s not that bad. It feels a bit like being stung by a hornet multiple times on your sack. The tugging and smelling burning flesh part is bad too but the diazepam your doc will prescribe for you to take prior to the procedure will help a little with the anxiety/horror of what is happing to you.

I didn’t want to do it at first but the prospect of a 5th child is MUCH more horrific.

You’ll be fine. The worrying and angst before you go in is just about as bad as the procedure...maybe worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
Also, go back for the test to see if it was successful. Many guys don't do that and a few end up with a surprise down the road.

I was told I'd have to come back in twice over the next 6 months (I think?) with an...uhhh..."sample" to ensure no swimmers were present. Big Grin

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
As for the vasectomy itself, no regerts!
Did you mean rugrats?

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
Also, go back for the test to see if it was successful. Many guys don't do that and a few end up with a surprise down the road.

I was told I'd have to come back in twice over the next 6 months (I think?) with an...uhhh..."sample" to ensure no swimmers were present. Big Grin

Mine says once in 3-4 months post-op.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Procedure took about 15 minutes. Just a local anesthetic, no cutting pain, but it felt like he was pulling my tonsils out through my groin.
^^^^ This. As other have said, take it easy for a few days and bags of frozen peas are your friend.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Had a vasectomy on 10/16. Scheduled this week for my first lab to see if it worked (8 weeks), then I'll have another one 4 weeks after that, I think.

The procedure was not bad, although it is obviously awkward. 10 minutes or so later, it was done. The numbing shot is the worst part of course. The 5-7 days after were pretty uncomfortable as 1. your balls are swollen and you kick them with every step you take, 2. the hair is growing back and itching, 3. you're wearing brief underwear (fine if you're used to it, but suffocating if you're a boxer guy.)

Looking forward to all of the consequence-free sex that I won't be having soon!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Got mine done. It was a quick procedure. There wasn’t any need for pain meds. I followed the recommendation to take it easy and not lift anything. I went here: https://www.drsnip.com/ I would suggest finding a place that does it this way.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A coffee table book over the frozen vegetables, as members recommended, will be your best friend since your youngster and/or pet may jump in your lap unexpectedly. That was my doctors recommendation.

Posts: 296 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it done a month or 2 after my youngest was born and I had 13 weeks paid time off for paternity leave.

A pinch and a tug and some burning from the cauterising. My doc made me give A sample at 30 and 90 days after to make sure the job was good.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
As for the vasectomy itself, no regerts!
Did you mean rugrats?

Them too!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another note.
Hope you're a back sleeper. No way I could sleep on my side nor stomach right now.

Luckily for me, I'm a pretty still sleeper.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Had mine done in Festus Mo. 20 years ago under shop lamps and the receptionist assisting.

Was back at work the next day.

10 years later had it reversed....NOT THE SAME....6 hours of surgery and a week on the couch.

Well worth it but....fuck me it hurt

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Had mine done in Festus Mo. 20 years ago under shop lamps and the receptionist assisting.

Was back at work the next day.

10 years later had it reversed....NOT THE SAME....6 hours of surgery and a week on the couch.

Well worth it but....fuck me it hurt

Eek
Glad we're sure we're done.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I had it done after our 3rd child many years ago. The procedure is nothing,but you definitely need to sit for 2-3 days, or whatever the doctor recommends. You will sit on an ice bag, and it is likely that your bride will treat you like a king during that time. You also need to wait the 2 weeks or so to have sex, plus getting your semen tested twice by the doctor to be certain you're firing blanks.

I followed the doc's advice, but I did travel on business prior to the 2 week limit. I was fine, but while driving I felt... every... bump... in ... the ... road.

Try to be as inactive as possible for the full time recommended. Mine was well over a decade ago, so things may have changed quite bit, but definitely listen to the Dr and do what he says.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Had mine done in Festus Mo. 20 years ago under shop lamps and the receptionist assisting...

Was he also the local dentist and barber?

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was easy for me. I was a little sore for a day or two, and then pretty much nothing. I didn't run any marathons that first week, but I don't do that anyway. Seriously - I wasn't handicapped much at all while I recovered.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post