SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Root canal, tooth 18, my tooth 18
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Root canal, tooth 18, my tooth 18 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
We have all heard the horror stories of friends who had root canals.

A friend of mine described it as having his left testicle pulled out through his right nostril when the testicle was in Sudan and the nostril in Guatamela.

Another simply said "Is it safe?" as if that was some kind of universal explanation.

And another helpful soul said he heard this kind of noise coming from the back of the endodontist's office, peed himself, and ran out the door screaming like a little girl. As he was a former MARSOC Marine, I'm inclined to accept his story as fact.

SO I have a pain in my jaw and go to see my dentist. He's a great guy, who I've known for a couple of decades. Into guns and deep mixed gas, computer timed dives to collect megaladon teeth.

He says I need a root canal. Apparently my tooth 19 (left lower wisdom tooth) that is still coming in cracked an old porcelain crown on tooth 18, allowing bacteria to feaster, damaging the tooth to the point I needed a root canal followed by a new crown.

"Okay doc. Who do you recommend?" He leads me directly across the hall to an endontist's office, telling me he had them perform his root canal. I check with my spouse; she too used them with great success.

So I go with this guy and his team.

I was more than impressed. I literally felt zero pain during the procedure. In fact, I kept trying to nod off to nap, since I was in a remarkably comfortable position.

Bottom line: If you are told you need a root canal, get it, or at the very least don't put it off because of the pain-filled stories. If you are in the DC metro, I can hook you up with my nerve killer.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had people tell me that they just have the tooth extracted and put the money towards an implant. They tell me that although the implant is more expensive, that root canals eventually fail leading to extraction. That was his opinion anyway. A root canal and crown run about two thousand in many markets. The implant done properly will supposedly last longer than a root canal with a crown. Who knows?

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never thought of myself as a tough guy. I've had three root canals, one vasectomy and about four colonoscopies over the last thirty years. While I wasn't looking forward to any of them, none of them were a big deal or particularly painful. The worst pain of the root canal was paying the bill. Mine were about $2000 each. (A lot of Sigs or Smiths)

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that a root canal is supposed to kill the nerve. They did my tooth twice and the thing is still sensitive. How that can be, I don't understand. I have heard of others with the same experience. They must have the same success rate as back surgery. and that's a discussion for another day.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not a root canal, but had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in one sitting. To be fair, none of them were impacted. Piece-o-cake...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've had two root canals. Neither were painful except a little sensitivity for a couple of weeks after the procedure. Then it's just like having a normal tooth.

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Not a root canal, but had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in one sitting. To be fair, none of them were impacted. Piece-o-cake...

My asshole dentist (cousin) is always trying to take my wisdom teeth out. I always ask him two questions. First is the tooth fairy paying him. Second any cavities or any problems? No. Then why you trying to extract my teeth?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had two root canals today. It isn't something I would volunteer for, but it isn't too bad. Better two at one go than a return trip.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My big kid, Matt-Matt ( he will always be called that even tho he is 26) had a root canal and crown last month on his front top tooth. (Inscisor). He said the pain he had before the procedure was far worse than the actual procedure.

When my dad had a conversation with his dentist several years ago like this.

“You need a root canal “
“How much is it?”
“About $2000”
“ how much to pull it?”
“About $50”
“ pull it”
“But other teeth can drift into the space over time”
“ how much longer do you expect me to live?

Dad had his molar pulled

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've had 2, 1 on 'accident'.

First was a broken tooth that couldn't be extracted easily. Dentist did a 'free' root canal & I only paid for the extraction.

2nd was normal.

Neither resulted in any real pain during or after. More discomfort setting the crown than the actual procedure.

Had all 4 wisdom teeth removed in college. No pain & IIRC I only took 1/2 a Vicodin afterward.

Anyone in N Houston that needs a dentist recommendation, I've got a good one. Opens early too. I've been in the chair at 645AM & in the office just after 8 a couple times.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have always had remarkably (knock on wood) healthy teeth. I’m in my late 40s and I’ve had one cavity, and that was when I was in elementary school.

I broke a molar when o was in college, I can’t remember if it was playing football, rugby or boxing. The solution was basically to rebuild the tooth on the backside with putty of some sort. The fix was never right, and I used to always get food stuck in ther4. Well, similar t the op, somehow bacteria got under the fix, and the dentist told me it would be better to have a root canal and a cap than try and fix the fix

I too had heard the horror stories and was apprehensive

Either I had a great experience, or the people making a big deal out of it don’t know what it’s like to experience true surgical pain. I thought it was a piece of cake. In and out, easy peasy

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I have had more than my fair share of root canals and could never understand people who say they hurt worse than the pain. That makes no sense as removing the nerve alleviates the pain. Unless these people live in the "Old West" , where they weren't given any novocaine, I don't see how they experienced any pain. I have had some of my molars extracted,those way in the back of the mouth, wisdom teeth,etc., as you don't need them. Root canals and crowns can be expensive but no where near the cost of an implant, which is not covered under many dental plans.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
You have 18 teeth? I just counted and I have 4. Eek

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Mine were no worse than a filling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
It's my understanding that a root canal is supposed to kill the nerve. They did my tooth twice and the thing is still sensitive. How that can be, I don't understand. I have heard of others with the same experience. They must have the same success rate as back surgery. and that's a discussion for another day.

Same here, root canal, then about a year later they had to cut the top of my gum up above my tooth and access the nerve there. Now on occasion I can feel my tooth throb to my heartbeat.

Doesn't hurt, but it is annoying to know something isn't right.

As for the implant route, I should have gone that way. It would cost less then the two root canals, and now the top of the tooth near the gum is black from the inside and the entire tooth is more translucent (yellowish). So I gotta get a veneer on something that might end up coming out eventually.....

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an apicoectomy and retrofill after a root canal failed. That was a rather unpleasant procedure. Eventually had to have it extracted. Implants have been no problem. They are not that much more expensive although a number of visits are required.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an article comparing implants to root canals.
Interesting read.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3872851/

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Then why you trying to extract my teeth?
Mine were crowding the other teeth and my yap in general, causing me to frequently and painfully bite the inside of my jaw when I ate. Haven't had that problem since the extractions.

[/drift]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
You have 18 teeth? I just counted and I have 4. Eek

Well, Homo sapiens have 52 teeth (20 deciduous teeth, 12 superadded permanent teeth, and 20 successional permanent teeth.

There are mutants with more or less.

Freddie Mercury had 36 permanent teeth, which contributed to his remarkable four octave range.

Bendable is rumored to have one tooth. One very large, very hard, very sharp tooth. A tooth capable of biting titanium I-beams in half. His problem is it takes two matching teeth to work, and he(?) misplaced one. So if you come across this odd looking thing being used as an anvil, make sure he's aware of it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31481 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I have had one root canal about 6 years ago. Wasn't painful as the oral surgeon knew what he was doing when he numbed the nerves and surrounding areas. I don't recall having any real pain afterwards.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post