SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fresh Venison!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fresh Venison! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Younger grandson dropped a nice buck this morning, dropped the heart off as I like it for sammiches. Dasn't eat too much of it, not good for ya, but one or two can't hurt. Much.

Out of the deer, into the pot and between two slices of bread in under 4 hours. Don't get much better than that!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I love venison, but that never appealed to me.

Enjoy PHPaul.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I love venison, but that never appealed to me.

Enjoy PHPaul.

Me either, but I did like the fresh liver after soaking in milk overnight. I haven't hunted in many years so haven't had it for a long time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Nice! Nothing like fresh venison. And the heart is a delicacy. Congrats to your grandson!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Envious here, love venison and especially the heart. I would consider your sandwich a delicacy !

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Love Venison, but no organ meats for me. To each his own.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
When I used to hunt, I’d do this with the back straps. Garlic, mushrooms, onions and sautéed in butter…man was that good!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with the backstraps, sausage and sticks. I guess I'm to much of a wimp to try heart so I can't really say if it's good or not.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'll stick with the backstraps, sausage and sticks. I guess I'm to much of a wimp to try heart so I can't really say if it's good or not.

I think a lot of that is the optics and I get that.

I was introduced to it via beef heart as a kid. Once it's sliced and disguised so you don't recognize it, it's darn good.

Of course there's the fact that being a picky eater wasn't an option at our house. You ate what was put in front of you and God help you if you even made a face, much less said anything.

There are a number of things that I'd have to be a couple of deep breaths away from starvation before I'll ever eat again. Liver or tongue out of ANYTHING is a no go. Gagged too much of that shit down as a kid.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Memories of one of the best meals ever in my life, stuffed elk heart. Some old friends had me over for dinner and she’s a great cook with game meat.

Kinda funny, I’ve always only called it “deer meat,” never used the word, venison. I wonder if that’s a regional thing?

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
When I used to hunt, I’d do this with the back straps. Garlic, mushrooms, onions and sautéed in butter…man was that good!

Hmmmm.... Nice.

Here's a venison steaks marinade recipe, mix proportions to taste:

Favorite band/jar of barbeque sauce
Hosin sause
Orange juice
Spices to taste
Salt/Pepper
Some wine, more wine, or lots of wine. or more. Cheap wine of course.
Brown sugar

Mix all ingredients, place into large tupperware or large bowl with all the raw venison steaks, backstraps, etc., covering the meat with the marinade, and cover everything with minimal air gap to help the natural tenderizing process. Leave meat in the marinade in the fridge two to four days depending on how far you want the natural tenderizing process to progress.

Then grill and serve immediately off the grill. Yum yum yum.

I made up that recipie myself when I used to deer hunt. Worked pretty good with grilling dove breasts, and goose meat to if you were going to grill it instead of baking it like a turkey.

Try it, I've never met anyone who didn't love it, and we always had our friends over for venison. My daughters were little girls at the time and devoured all of it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Pretty much had that tonight. Onions, mushrooms and peppers in one pan with butter, and back straps in the other. Very good. I had some leftover Béarnaise sauce from a packet, warmed it up to try with venison. The venison didn’t need it, but it was good.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1125 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Heart, kidneys and backstrap are my favorites when fresh. It’s been a few years since I had a chance to hunt. I’m hoping next year is my year.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not a hunter, so have no personal references. I will say I've eaten venison from a number of hunters and the memories are varied -- some I hated and some I found very tasty. Apparently a lot depends on how the kill is treated right afterward.

Congratulations to your grandson, and praise for his generosity to his grandfather.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post