SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I hear 31 years is pretty good for a sump pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hear 31 years is pretty good for a sump pump Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Ye olde pump was rattling the whole house over the past week and when I checked it last night, she was letting out the magic smoke that makes it run.

Off to Lowe's. They tell me 31 years is unprecedented but the thing was marked January 1991. A good run.

It was easier to replace than I expected. About 10 minutes from unboxing to testing it. Luckily, I got it in before the water rose above floor level in the basement.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Good run? That’s quite remarkable!! I’m lucky to get three years outs mine

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thirty one years is a good run, even for a good pump.

I just replaced the Zoeller in our sump well a couple months ago. I think it had probably about twenty years on it. Even then: The only reason I had to replace it is the float switch had become unreliable. It still pumped well, when it ran.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That's good for a pump although some of the older ones would last. Glad you caught it before it went completely died.

A few weeks ago a friend called me with her basement flooded. I stopped by and it was the sump pump. Off to HD and installed a new one for her and pumped out the water. Brought my shop vac over to clean up the other stuff. Besides some older carpeting, she was lucky there wasn't a lot more damage.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
In my experience 31 years can be a good run for a human being, for a sump pump I'd call it immortal.

Glad things worked out well for you, obviously water damage is no bueno.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Well now, did you buy the same model as the replacement? Big Grin

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Well now, did you buy the same model as the replacement? Big Grin

I'm sure the manufacturer has wised up and re "engineered" it.

Posts: 3928 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
31 years is a VERY long time for a sump pump to last. Too bad someone didn't buy a spare when they bought that one, because you'll be lucky if the new one goes 10 years.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Don't be too disappointed if the new one doesn't last as long! Wink

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post