SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My turn for a new printer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My turn for a new printer Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
The trusty old Brother is throwing the drum error and I can't seem to get it working anymore. It tells me to take out the toner cartridges, slide the green tab back and forth and then reinstall the drums. I do that and it tells me to do it again and again. I'm sure it can be taken apart and cleaned/lubed but it's 10 years old and has served it's time. I'm fond of the Brother brand as it has less (much less) driver issues than the HPs, Canons or Epsons that I've had in the past. However, I'm open to anything.

We do use the scan/copy function a couple times per year so that is handy to have. I do need laser, color and duplex printing. I would like ethernet as the WiFi printers are all a bit sketchy in my experience.

Also, help in getting the old one to print in the interim is appreciated. Any quick fixes beyond those available online that don't really work would be awesome.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I personally like Canon, or Brother.

I am currently using this one. I bought 2 back in December when they were $99.00. My Canon MX922 finally died after 7 years. It's cheap though and I wouldn't suggest paying the $140 they are asking unless you can't find anything else.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I setup a few of these in a clients office and they seem decent. You can get 3rd party ink for it on amazon as well. I typically stay away from HP if I can. I think the price is right at $164.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Offi...8%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-3

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the black only Brother laser printers I have/had, the drum needed to be replaced after a set number of prints.
I found that the drum needed to be replaced after about 4 toner cartridges were replaced.
The settings menu displayed the percentage of useful life left of toner and drum.
These were home/small office models.

PC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PCWyoming,

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently replaced a ~10 yo Brother Laser for the same reason. I just replaced it with a newer version Brother.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
What about replacing the drum?

I'm using a Brother color laser printer and and recently had to replace the drums on it (all four) for the second time.

But there is a point about it's age....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
do not buy a cannon mx 532, GREAT print quality but a PITA to install, it always locks up
takes forever to print..etc. etc...

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yikes. There seems to be a printer shortage. Everything is out of stock.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Check the Brother site and buy direct. Will this work? https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll3230cdw. The 3270 is in stock too.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:

Check the Brother site and buy direct. Will this work? https://www.brother-usa.com/products/hll3230cdw. The 3270 is in stock too.
The wife requires the copy/scan option.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
My business bought sometime ago, an HP color laserjet Wi-Fi model.

Toner is expensive, but it’s a business expense as well once every 4-5 yrs.

Everybody in the house can print to it wirelessly

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have a canon imageclass MF8380CDW that is 10 years old.

It still works like the day I got it, though recently I believe I had a bad batch of toner cartridges, somehow it worked itself out. At that time (about 6 months ago) I was researching replacement printers extensively. I reached the conclusion that an EcoTank Pro was the way to go and we'd keep the MF8380CDW for black only printing.

The problem was finding an Epson ecotank in stock anywhere.

If I was forced, I'd probably still choose an Epson business printer today. My canon just keeps kicking though... 10 years of constant business use. It costs us about $600 in toner a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The wife requires the copy/scan option.

Sorry I missed that. Keep checking the site. The in stock changes almost daily.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this thread. We have a Brother multi-function printer that just started giving me the same error message.

I spent a couple of hours last night looking for a replacement with no luck. I tried Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, NewEgg, Staples, OfficeMax, and probably a few other sites.

The last HP printer we had didn’t last long, and the end came when it landed in my driveway after being thrown out a window. I don’t think I want to go down that path again. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Thanks for this thread. We have a Brother multi-function printer that just started giving me the same error message.

I spent a couple of hours last night looking for a replacement with no luck. I tried Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target, NewEgg, Staples, OfficeMax, and probably a few other sites.

The last HP printer we had didn’t last long, and the end came when it landed in my driveway after being thrown out a window. I don’t think I want to go down that path again. Big Grin
I know that feeling. I ran my first Epson over with my pickup truck.

Of course this printer has to act up just as I’m getting started back to work and I don’t have time for shopping. I have been using my much older black and white only Brother laser printer that just keeps going and going. It’s grinds a little bit when it prints but the work gets done.

I think I’m going to give up on the Ethernet option as it increases the number of available models.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I went on the Brother site this morning to see if they had printers in stock. I found one I liked and decided to price check other sites even if they didn't have them in stock. To my surprise, Best Buy had several Brother models in stock and I ended up ordering from them for pick-up next week.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last HP printer we had didn’t last long, and the end came when it landed in my driveway after being thrown out a window. I don’t think I want to go down that path again.

If you are a Costco member might check there, or Sams Club to see what's in stock.

Obligatory Office Space Video... Big Grin

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Took a trip to all the office stores today. No color laser printer. Nada. Zip.

posted Hide Post
HP Color LaserJet or nothing IMO. I will never buy an Inkjet again. My HP all in one is from 2016 and zero issues yet. The starter toner cartridges are still OK but will need to be replaced soon enough.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
HP Color LaserJet or nothing IMO. I will never buy an Inkjet again. My HP all in one is from 2016 and zero issues yet. The starter toner cartridges are still OK but will need to be replaced soon enough.
Out of stock.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I have several HP Laserjet Pro M477's. Full function Color/BW have had no trouble with any of them. Had for several years now.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post