SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heading to Orlando next week - what to do?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading to Orlando next week - what to do? Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
Staying at a resort near Disney but don't plan on going to Disney. Mostly interested in good places to eat and maybe some space stuff. Probably will rent a car and head to the Keys for a nice day trip. Suggestions?

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3812 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend Disney Springs. For places to eat, lots of great options but I highly recommend Raglan Road or The Polite Pig [which has the most amazing Brussell Sprouts ever had by me and wife even agrees]

City Walk (Universal) is also great

ETA - Kennedy Space Center - if you have never been its an absolute must IMO

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Orlando to even Key Largo is one hell of a day trip.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
Orlando to even Key Largo is one hell of a day trip.

This, never mind traffic through FLL and MIA.
How about an airboat ride? Beer, gator bites, air boats???

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:

rent a car and head to the Keys for a nice day trip.
That's a LONG day trip!

Have you been to the Space Coast? Cape Canaveral?

If you want to shoot and grab lunch, touch base with me at the address in my profile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Go a little west of Orlando and visit Fantasy of Flight!

https://www.fantasyofflight.com

The collection is amazing!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you're wanting BBQ a short ride up I4 to Winter Park, and hit 4 Rivers, the brisket is so good Texans have moved here to be close to it

https://4rsmokehouse.com/

Fantasy of Flight reopened in Jan, they scaled it down some but it's still a nice place.

The Keys aren't a day trip, FL is a long state and traffic is heavy especially around Miami.

It's 400 miles one way to Key West, 300 miles to Key Largo the start of the Keys. so that would leave little time for anything but a quick bite and gas up to return.

Gatorland, because well, gators....

Kennedy Space Center

If you like planes then check out https://www.valiantaircommand.com/

Ace Cafe is downtown Orlando, their only location outside of London, foods ok, beer is cold, generally there is a bike, truck, car, exotic vehicle show at night, check their schedule, and you're a block away from the downtown bar scene, Check out Corona Cigar on Orange if you're into cigars.

Lots of trendy places to eat in Orlando, down by you there are some exceptional places many on property, reservations required to get in, Emerils at Universal City Walk, if you like sushi, Morimoto Aisam Iron Chefs Masaharu Morimoto. There are a lot of places to go.

Shopping, some of the best outlet malls with designer goods are down in that area.

Stop by Orlando HD if you like Harley's

Posts: 23567 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming. I did forget to find out if any sigforum folks down there, so V-Tail will definitely be reaching out! Thanks! I'll buy the ammo and range time.

I have not seen any of the space stuff so that is on the list!

I did google map the drive to key west and did think it might be a two day event :-\

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I drove on the beach at Dayton. I remember that being fun. That still a thing?

- Frank Castle

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes you can still drive on the beach in areas,
New Symrna Beach as well, You also have the Daytona Nascar Museum and tour of the track if you are into that.

Posts: 23567 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Salvador Dali Museum in St. Pete - about 100 miles away. Not everyone is a fan, but the museum is one of the finest 'single artist' museums in the country.

Universal Studios Florida - Halloween Horror Nights going on this month.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
ST Augustine, New Smyrna Beach, Ponce de Leon Inlet & Lighthouse, the Space center, Cocoa Beach, Universal City Walk. Vintage Airways was my only DC3 flight. I worked there for 11 years never ran out of things to do.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We spent a few days there in February. We really enjoyed the Ultimate Airboat tour. Very nice for the price. We also enjoyed Epcot Center. I know you mentioned you didn't want to do Disney but they have kept this attraction current. We last went to Epcot in about 1999.

We also spent 3 days in Tampa and did Busch Gardens. It was nice but felt very dated. The animal portion was first class however.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Kennedy Space Center for sure.

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
For some great seafood, visit Bates in Ocoee. Their clam chowder is awesome.

Lots of trails to bike ride if you’re into that. There are places to rent bikes too.

By the way, it’s still quite warm down here. Oh yeah, get the toll pass to save yourself some time. The drivers here suck but not the worst I’ve seen.

Posts: 13146 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Go to Randall knife put an order in for 2023 delivery. Get their books signed by Mr. Randall.

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do pay the upcjarge for the sunpass on the rental. Tolls are ridiculous and every few miles. I went this summer and stupidly didn’t get it. Halfway through the trip I went to a 7/11 and bought a Sunpass cause I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a good place to start looking for restaurants.

Orlando has a pretty sizable international population of permanent residences with a variety of ethnic enclaves. I was there for SHOT show and we stumbled upon the Little Saigon neighborhood, it was a welcome relief to all the crappy corporate themed restaurants that line International Blvd and surround the gates of the major theme parks.

Drop any thoughts of a day-trip down to the Keys, that's just ridiculous. If you want to explore, Tampa-area its about 90-120-min drive, just check rush-hour patterns. Cape Canaveral is to the East, same drive time.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Corona cigar bar if you enjoy a good smoke.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Hop on a plane and head to the Keys for the week.

Posts: 11006 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post