SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Train / Railroad Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train / Railroad Question Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here the previous coal car trains have been largely replaced by tankers marked "LPG" (liquified petroleum gas) or "Straight Run Gasoline", all the condensate fractions from the local fracking gas wells.

I've noticed that between the engines (usually two at one end and one at the other) and the first and last tank car are three empty coal cars labeled "buffer car". I assume these are there to protect the engine crews if there is an accident and a tanker ruptures and catches fire. They keep the engines away from the nearest tanker. Is that correct?

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Curious bit of trivia. The reason standard gauge is 4'8" is because that is the standard gauge of a Roman chariot. Goes to show that once something gets in a bureaucracy, it tends to stay.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cycler:
I've noticed that between the engines (usually two at one end and one at the other) and the first and last tank car are three empty coal cars labeled "buffer car". I assume these are there to protect the engine crews if there is an accident and a tanker ruptures and catches fire. They keep the engines away from the nearest tanker. Is that correct?

Yep. The buffer car is there to provide a measure of safety for the crew as well as keep whatever commodity they're hauling removed from the hot motor on the engine. Not that it's common, but most of the time these commodities hauled don't react well to heat/fire. Extra level of protection that works both ways.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigM4,

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

The wheels are the same width of the top of the rail, so there isn't a huge margin of error before the train falls into the gauge, which has happened to me before.

What do you do with the train when that happens?

Use lots of wood blocks and wedges to slowly drag it back up onto the rails.

Went through a few derailments in my time there. Luckily none that required a crane to clean up.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
If my memory is correct, the lack of Standard Gauge rail was a major logistical nightmare for the Confederates in the Civil War. had a hell of a time moving anything from one end of the fight to the other.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post