SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Train / Railroad Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train / Railroad Question Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Are train tracks standardized across rail line operators and/or internationally?

How much variance in track width can a train handle before it encounters problems?

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A quick search found this. Hopefully helpful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gauge

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39227 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Variable gauge rolling stock does exist for use in countries that do not follow the same standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_gauge

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
If you want to learn a lit about trains and all things to do with trains check out the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. Very interesting and educational place.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1900 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hmm. How tight are the tolerances? Would .5 inch of gauge difference make a difference to the train?

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would .5 inch of gauge difference make a difference to the train?

I am guessing no. There has to be some tolerance and I'm sure there must be some rail drift over time due to weather, wear, age, etc.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Car wheels only have a flange on the inside as I recall. That alone would account for some misalignment.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39227 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Correct, the flange is only on the inside of the wheel. I wasn't in the track department when I worked for the RR so I can't comment on how much of a margin of error they're given, but i did know they had gauge meters to show if they were the correct width or not.

The wheels are the same width of the top of the rail, so there isn't a huge margin of error before the train falls into the gauge, which has happened to me before.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As Ryan noted standard gauge in the US is 4' 8.5". That gauge is kept pretty tightly in spec by the tack department. Wear on both the rail and the wheel flange does allow for some tolerance between the two, but there are minimual condemnable specs for both.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
This might help a little (or not).

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

The wheels are the same width of the top of the rail, so there isn't a huge margin of error before the train falls into the gauge, which has happened to me before.

What do you do with the train when that happens?

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Jack it up Smile

We repair hydraulic train jacks for one of the major train lines. 100ton plus jacks. They wheel them out to the site, position them under and jack the train up. It's pretty impressive to see a jack the size of a power washer lift that kind of weight.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Rerailers, oak blocks and wedges...if that fails, call RJ Corman Wink

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/eHmIHjj4Uis

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
When you have 3 engines at the front pulling and two at the back pushing, is there someone in the back two operating or are they linked to the front.

Posts: 3776 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
When you have 3 engines at the front pulling and two at the back pushing, is there someone in the back two operating or are they linked to the front.

They are linked to the lead locomotive.

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

They are linked to the lead locomotive.

Thanks, just something I always wondered about.

Posts: 3776 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are linked by radio telemetry from the lead unit...back in the 80s there was a "radio car" that was linked to the rear or middle locomotive (it looked like a doorless boxcar)...now technology allows the locomotives talk to one another without the radio car.

Kind of an overview...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locotrol

Jimmy Buffet

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Just noticed this this week, 2 unusual things.

I used to work right beside the line from Nashville to /Chattanooga. And still live near the track. So I observed them a lot. They always had multiple engines but they were always all on the same end. Used to see a lot of coal by not so much for a while.

But this week I saw something I hadn't seen in a while. An entire train of coal and nothing but coal. 150 cars long (yea, nothing better to do than count them while waiting LOL)

Also... 2 engines were in front and a third exactly in the middle. 75 cars on either side. Coincidence?

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
An entire train of coal and nothing but coal.

MAGA!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is called DP or distributed power locomotives. As Bisley mentioned they're linked via radio to the lead locomotive. All new(er) locomotives have computer screens that the engineer can set to see what his DP power is doing. Using these screens he can also control his DP locomotives independently from this headend locomotives.

For instance, going up and over the crest of a hill he may want this headend power to be braking on the downhill side while his DP power is still in throttle pushing the rear of the train up and over the hill.

Also, DP'ing a train allows you to run heavier loads with less HPT (horsepower per ton). In a conventional setup you may need 1.4 HPT lets say. But, if you DP the train you might only need 1.1 HPT. A lot of it has to do with the makeup of the train (where the heavy cars and light cars are in the sequence), the terrain it will be traversing, and drawbar limits (how much force the couplers/knuckles on the end of each car can withstand).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post