SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When should a hot water heater be replaced?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When should a hot water heater be replaced? Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I used to work as a mitigation (fire, water, mold) company project manager. When we would get calls for water damage caused by water heaters, the homeowners almost always said they were 8-10 hrs old.

If you are putting in a new tank, I would suggest getting one of those pans and a sensor. Many of those units can be tied into your alarm system, so you get an alert if you are away from home and it starts leaking. If I remember right, the average cleanup and rebuild from one of those leaks was around $15k.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
they leak before they fail. If its in a place you frequent and where a water leak doesn't matter (think concrete basement floor) run till dead. If its not the above I'd get a new one asap. I've had between 6-25 years. you simply don't know. but 15 is on the wrong side of the curve. and they don't actually cost very much.

This is my view. I had one that was more than 20 years, and I was getting ready to replace it (it was in the attic) when we got flooded by Harvey, and sold the place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post