SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Suzuki gods have bestowed me with something interesting. (I was given a Suzuki motorcycle today....sort of...)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Suzuki gods have bestowed me with something interesting. (I was given a Suzuki motorcycle today....sort of...) Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
My plan to help a friend during the apocalypse who has found me many great machine and possibly build a cool street fighter in the process was foiled by my favorite state in the union having zero clue when title issues would be sorted out. Life goes on...and in a fair compensation for long wait times I was gifted a Suzuki 750 thing with a kick starter and flat frame/subframe rails under the rear seat so it’s a blank canvas for a build. It’s a GS750(fancy “L” in cursive) meaning it’s style is dated and it would like some knobby tires a new seat and new front end thank you very much. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Scrambler/Brat bike in the making?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+15 more votes for turning it into a scrambler.

Posts: 886 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think I'd lower the bars, replace the seat, remove the backrest and ride it as a stock UJM.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I like the scrambler look but the thought of actually RIDING that elephant in scrambler mode makes every joint in my body hurt.

I've entertained fantasies about finding the right carcass to make a street tracker out of but at my age and with my budget, ain't gonna happen.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15252 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I vote 'Drag-Bike'....Extended Swingarm, Low/Drag Bars, Dropped Forks, Vance & Hines 4 into 1, K&N Filters, etc! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8925 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sidecar cruiser.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Doesnt that have like 4 carburetors that you have to sync? Sounds like a nightmare!

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
A classic UJM bike inline 4. I had a CB9000C Hondaabout the same era and configuration except for the high low range trans. Was a hoot to ride had 80 some odd hp. Was a very fun bike just as it set. I would leave it be and enjoy myself. There can't be many left I would think.

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Doesnt that have like 4 carburetors that you have to sync? Sounds like a nightmare!

If they're like the 4 cylinder Japanese motorcycles I've owned they're not too difficult. You set the main carburetor then adjust the other three to equal it. They tend to stay in adjustment a long time because the individual cables are so short, only a few inches long going to a single bar. A single long cable runs from the bar to the throttle.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7108 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
I'm with Fla.Jim..leave it as is and ride it!!!

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a thing of beauty. I'm with the leave it as is crowd.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Is this karma for the bike now, or once it's all tuned up again? Ha. Have fun with it!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'd keep it stock, those were one quick bike in the late 70's. Still looks good too.

It would outhandle my K3 750 Honda, let's not even go into acceleration. My friend had a red one,we both upgraded our bikes with 4 into 1 headers and a retune. Despite him outweighing by probably 70 pounds it was no contest, I saw his tail light too many times.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Looks like a '79 in pretty stock livery. For a 41 year old cycle, appears to be in reasonable shape... minus a headlight?

Tourquey little bugger, as I recall, with fair road manners. Seems like a viable candidate for stripping down and converting to a cafe racer, perhaps for TROG. I'm not seeing a scrambler in its future, IMHO.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Nice ride.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
depending on your intended use, that model was pretty decent ride in OEM trim. It doesn't need to be turned into a fantasy project. I don't care for the back seat rest. Cargo racks are always handy. And 'style' comes & goes.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also vote for leaving it as is. I would lose the tall bars, though. And the sissy bar/backrest too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Suzuki GS has a pretty large following of owners and they are a relavively easy bike to work on.

For anything you would ever want to know about a GS go to the GS Resources forum and members can offer a wealth of information. Lots of tutorials available to troubleshoot almost any issue. Take a look in the forum after clicking on the link:
https://thegsresources.com/

I'm the original owner of a pretty much stock 1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT and the L's are a fun and VERY comfortable bike to ride so have some fun with it.

IMG_4123

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking bike. I'd fix up but leave it stock.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post