SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vigilantes in Mexico
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vigilantes in Mexico Login/Join 
posted
I have been reading about their efforts, and I can see that is the only way Mexico will ever be safe. The government cares little about the villagers, they are on their own.

Just like in the US, criminal are not afraid of the police. However they do fear a well armed citizen.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...artels-idUKKCN1VY1GP

https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/...ghting-drug-cartels/

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...lings-public-support

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/wJ1TOratCTo

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, if history is any indication, it's only a matter of time before these same vigilante groups turn corrupt, and become criminal groups little better than the cartels themselves.

It has happened time and time again down in Mexico over the past decades.

There's just so much cash floating around that the corruption runs deep down there, not just in the cartels but also in the government, the police, the military, and even these vigilante groups (eventually).

These vigilante groups start by fighting the cartels to protect the locals, then fighting the cartels to take the cartel's money, then fighting with other vigilante groups to defend their territory in order to fight the cartels to take the cartel's money, then extorting the locals for money in order to fight the cartels, then fighting amongst themselves over the money, ad nauseum.

It's similar to the rise of the various armed groups in Syria and Iraq. Start out as a group with lofty ideals fighting to protect the people from the totalitarian Syrian government or the Baathists, then they start fighting the other similarly-minded groups for money, resources, and territory, then they start exploiting the local population, then next thing you know they're taking money from Al Qaeda and/or Iran while chopping Americans' heads off in the name of Jihad.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

Just like in the US, criminal are not afraid of the police. However they do fear a well armed citizen.

Subtle point but I'm not armed to the tooth to be a vigilante, I'm an armed to the tooth citizen for my personal protection, and the protection of my family.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I posted a similar story in November of last year.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...480041784#8480041784

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I saw something on this a while ago. The problem is that when the vigilantes try to get organized, the cartels use their money and power to, infiltrate, coopt, and neutralize them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets just consider the entire country of Mexico as one big free fire zone so all the various groups can kill each other without restraint. Then Americans can go there on vacation and enjoy the ambiance! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
....... Then Americans can go there on vacation and enjoy the ambiance! Roll Eyes

Yup, that would be me in the 90's. Been to Cabo several times, along with a couple of other destinations.

Why: half the price of Hawaii.

We quit going about 15 years ago.

The destination was very popular with Alaska Airlines back in the day.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wish them all the luck in the world.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
No wonder Mexico is suing US gun makers. The politicians don't want their big paydays from the Cartels to come to any harm.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post