SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooks & Omelette Lovers Step Inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooks & Omelette Lovers Step Inside Login/Join 
posted
Now that I am retired omelettes have become a staple. Have at least one a week. Currently have an eight-inch Wearever pan I inherited. Looking for a ten-inch. What is your goto pan?

Posts: 158 | Registered: September 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lodge carbon steel. Or cast iron.

I’m looking to try one of the European versions, maybe de buyer.

For non stick, Made In. Or all clad. Former is affordable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I eat eggs every day and cook them a variety of ways.
Mostly use cast iron, cooking in that great bacon fat.
However, if you want a cleaner omelet I would use a good nonstick pan cooking in some Ghee or good butter.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We are big on omelettes as well, for years my go to for a traditional folded omelette was an 11’ square skillet.

Replaced my Calphalon one with the OXO version. OXO is less money and higher quality in my experience

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCI75SA

Recently changed to doing my eggs frittata style and I actually prefer an 8” round skillet for that. Picked this one up off Amazon specifically for that purpose

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HHWX8NS

This morning I did an egg white frittata with cubed London Broil, grilled onion/peperoncinis/sweet mini peppers, black olive, and four cheese Mexican blend.

Leftover meat, onion, peppers, etc for tomorrow’s breakfast.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10946 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Made a three-egg chili cheese omelette this morning using my Calphalon 8" omelette pan.

The chili was a Texas Red variety I made last Sunday using some of Beancooker's excellent chile powders (as well as some fresh chiles of various types). If JAllen is reading this from his laptop in the sky, I can reassure him that no beans were involved in the creation of this chili.

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALL-CLad non stick 10" is my go to.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
ALL-CLad non stick 10" is my go to.

This ^^^

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
de Buyer or Matfer Bourgeat black steel omelette pan. You’ll season them per their instructions, similar to cast iron pans but much lighter. Very affordable. I have both brands, they’re very good.

Often referred to as Carbon Steel.

You’ll never throw these out like you do with worn out Teflon or other applied non stick coating materials.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've always found these to be the best for omelets.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-...n%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3

Large enough that it's easy to get a spatula under, and you're able to flip them easily without having to worry about spilling toppings on the stove.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Le Creuset but I usually finish mine in the oven

Posts: 5742 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
de Buyer or Matfer Bourgeat black steel omelette pan. You’ll season them per their instructions, similar to cast iron pans but much lighter. Very affordable. I have both brands, they’re very good.

You’ll never throw these out like you do with worn out Teflon or other applied non stick coating materials.

100%. I love cooking in my seasoned MB carbon steel. The eggs just slide out.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17287 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I've got a lodge now. Looking for another 9" pan; looking at both of those. Which one do you recommend?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I stumbled upon this Japanese preseasoned iron omelet pan on Amazon:

Iwachu Iron Omelette Pan, Medium
https://a.co/d/htj20yN

I was intrigued, but didn’t buy it.

YouTube:
https://youtu.be/-1SKj_BKOBU

ETA – There’s a larger (9.5”) version too:

Iwachu Iron Omelette Pan, Large
https://a.co/d/5FWdqal

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8983 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a scan-pan non stick. Found it to work better than my all clad

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
We inherited a 12” cast iron skillet. That’s what I use.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I use a scan-pan non stick. Found it to work better than my all clad

+1

Posts: 7366 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Please do not neglect the fritatta, the baked brother of the omlette.

https://natashaskitchen.com/easy-frittata-recipe/

Ikea sells the 'Vardagen' that is a baking dish.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Tramontina Pro is my go to fry pan for 8", 10", and 14". Links to the 10":
  • Amazon.
  • If you're a Costco member, you can get a 2-pack for $5 more than Amazon's individual price

Well made, long-lasting, PFOA-free, oven safe to 400F, and I like the removable silicone handle cover (I slip it off to put in oven).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr kablammo:
    Please do not neglect the fritatta, the baked brother of the omlette.

https://natashaskitchen.com/easy-frittata-recipe/
    <snip>

That looks delicious. Thanks for that tip!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8983 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
    Picture of Jelly
    posted Hide Post
    I make Omelettes once or twice a week. Tried a bunch of pans over the years. My go to Omelette pan is the 10" CSK Red Frying Pan-Non-Stick Skillets with Whitford Granite. A little butter and a temperature of 350 F - 375 F degrees works well. At the time I bought mine it was made in Germany don't know if this still the case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post