SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a detached garage or carport
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a detached garage or carport Login/Join 
posted
I’m wanting to add a detached garage or carport near the side of my house for my pickup truck, a 2500HD. I can add a 12’ wide concrete pad from the street to the structure, which will be behind a wood gate and about 6’ behind the front line of the house. The purpose is to protect my truck from hail and basic protection from the elements.

It will need to be pleasing to the eye too.

Other than building one from scratch, are there any good kit type covers or garages you would recommend that are sturdy and look good?

Thanks.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
That’s really too general of a question to answer properly.
When we built detached garages to homes we were building we usually designed them to match / compliment the main house. Is that an option for you?

PS. Always build it bigger than you think you want. As Rush used to say “Don’t doubt me on this”!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6330 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can swing it, build a garage, NOT a carport......vehicle tends to get just as dirty in a carport and it won't add enough value to your home. Building a garage will add as much as you paid to build it to the resale value of your home and can always be used for storage or etc. instead of a vehicle.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above, ideally build a nice single car garage. Way more useful and would really improve the property value. Extra credit for an RV height door.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuffshed has an online configuration tool. It might be a good starting point.

Guidance on size - get larger than you think - you'll fill it sooner than you think.

Based on your location, other alternatives may be available.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Realize you will only pull the truck into the new garage once, to confirm that it will really fit. A day or two later, you will have too much crap in the garage to even consider it.

Workbench in one corner, air compressor in another, storage cabinet. OMG, where did my garage go?

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I agree with the above, ideally build a nice single car garage. Way more useful and would really improve the property value. Extra credit for an RV height door.

I’ll have to give resale value more thought. Thanks. I am constrained to 12’ wide either way due to right of ways.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

I’ll have to give resale value more thought. Thanks. I am constrained to 12’ wide either way due to right of ways.

Then go as deep as possible.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Based on your mentioned constraint, I surmise you are in town. Whatever you decide you'd like to build, run it by your city building inspectors. You'd probably have to get a building permit from them anyway. Most cities have laws concerning distance from property lines and so forth for new or expanded structures. Often, fire fighting access to rear of present and adjacent buildings is a consideration too.

Posts: 4711 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post