SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An exceptional fail montage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An exceptional fail montage Login/Join 
posted
These have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. This one is almost nothing but gold.

14:57
"Hey, Ryan"
"Hey, Billy"

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I find these things disgusting. How is it that watching people getting injured or potentially killed is even remotely entertaining?

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I find these things disgusting. How is it that watching people getting injured or potentially killed is even remotely entertaining?

I'm with you. Stuff like the above from Fail Army and their ilk depicting folks falling, etc., is not entertaining in my book. Simply cringeworthy.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
To each their own, guys.

Humor is very specific to each person. We should be ok with that and not look down on someone because they laugh at something you find appalling.

I have what many others would consider an exceptionally sick, and slightly sociopathic, sense of humor. To me, many of these fail videos are hilarious. Many others are amazing. Some just get the Eek face. They aren't all about someone getting hurt or killed.

So what? If you don't like them, don't watch them.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
It is disgusting. I find no humor in people getting injured.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4010 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
For those too sensitive for such content, I believe The View still airs on ABC at 1000MST.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Come on guys. There aren't any serious injuries in these videos. All you need to do is watch old silent movies to see that people have found slapstick funny for a long time. People still find The Three Stooges funny. Even court jesters from many centuries ago used this kind of humor. FailArmy is just a more modern, unscripted, spontaneous form of this.

I'm going to bet that every one of you who say you don't find this kind of thing funny has, at sometime in his life, laughed at his teenage friend when his friend accidentally hit himself in the balls.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
For those too sensitive for such content, I believe The View still airs on ABC at 1000MST.

Enough of the machoism. It’s called common decency which is in short supply these days.

———————————————

Posts: 4010 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that there is just as classy as the swill you proclaim you like to watch. Gesh!

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
All you need to do is watch old silent movies to see that people have found slapstick funny for a long time. People still find The Three Stooges funny. Even court jesters from many centuries ago used this kind of humor. FailArmy is just a more modern, unscripted, spontaneous form of this.

That's a BIG JUMP from slapstick to Fail Army! Bottom line is that I strongly disagree with your assertion about FA.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
https://i.imgflip.com/8syx26.gif. See stupidity has its own rewards.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4590 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not a matter of humor for me, it just illustrative of the fact that someone is always filming these events, no matter how stupid the event or the participants.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed this post would stir the pot. Different strokes for different folks, I reckon. I don't find folks being seriously injured appealing. 95% of the embedded video consists of folks getting a bit banged up and embarrassed. I do recall one questionable clip, but it represents a relatively extreme minority.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

Enough of the machoism. It’s called common decency which is in short supply these days.
Suggesting that someone watch The View isn't masochism, it's sadism!

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I think of it as "Darwins Hit Parade".

Posts: 590 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
That's a BIG JUMP from slapstick to Fail Army! Bottom line is that I strongly disagree with your assertion about FA.

No it's not and you are wrong. It appeals to the same humor centers of our brain. The idea of an action outside of the norm, or the unexpected event, along with a benign outcome. In academic circles this is known as "Benign Violation Theory (BVT)." The idea that there is a violation of an otherwise normal event, coupled with the benign nature of the event, creates the humor. If any event is perceived as too normal, or not to have a benign outcome, then it ceases to be funny. This is why there are no videos on FailArmy that include people actually being harmed beyond just superficial, temporary discomfort (like a belly flop).

We have all experienced this ourselves as children. Friend crashes on his bike while jumping our homemade ramp. We are initially alarmed, and we go over inquiring if he is ok. When we find out that he busted his nuts or his shin but is otherwise ok, we may switch from alarm to humor. However, if he has a true injury, like knocking out a tooth or breaking an arm, we do not switch to humor, and we seek to render aid.

FailArmy and slapstick humor both appeal to this basic mechanism to create humor. Scientists do not know why humans have evolved to find humor in non-normative but benign events. There are several theories, most originating around the idea that we learned how to avoid harmful events from one another by observing the non-harmful misfortune of others. Laughter provides an emotional release of the anxiety of the non-normative event. This explanation is one of several theories, and is not the only one, but just an example of one.

Slapstick is just a scripted form of an unexpected, but benign, event.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well…opinions are like assholes. I’m willing to bet you project your definition of “decency” on everyone else. Too bad I can’t project a sense of humor onto you.

Have at it. I’m a grown ass man adult, so how you feel about certain types of entertainment, and those enjoying them, doesn’t have much of an effect on me.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Grown men don’t resort to insults.

———————————————

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I prefer Ozzyman's "Destination F'd" but get a chuckle from failarmy as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Jesus, y’all should read your comments from an outside viewpoint. Pushing your moral beliefs, good, bad, or indifferent is just ridiculous. We rally against people who are “morally superior” that want gun control. This isn’t any different.

Call it disgusting, call it humor. If you don’t like it don’t watch it… but trying to change someone’s belief on this is just silly, and it makes you look like a Karen.

I don’t really care for those kind of videos, but damn, this is America. Everyone has the right to watch or not watch what they want. I mean this both ways, from both sides of view.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Enough of the machoism.

But then…

quote:
Grown men don’t resort to insults.

Nice. Roll Eyes

I’m done with this ridiculous tangent that wastes more time than the videos; I think the OP’s thread has been clogged up enough. Why don’t we try to stick to the topic or start a separate thread in the What’s Your Deal area?

While these are mostly mindless entertainment, I’m not always in the mood for a novel when I’m on the can. At least some videos have teachable moments. I’ve used some in trainings for work. Show trainees a video of someone getting wrapped around a lathe like a towel and they gain a healthy respect for the equipment. The Fails at Work videos sometimes show some very interesting or unexpected situations.