SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rocket/missle/comet over central CA tonight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rocket/missle/comet over central CA tonight? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I don’t know much about any of the topics listed in the subject line but as we were leaving dinner tonight about 7:30pm (here in CA) I noticed a group of people looking up in the sky. There was a light that had the “starburst” effect that a spotlight has shooting through a light haze, or that’s how it looked to me. Thought it was kinda strange looking but that’s all.

I loaded up all the kids and looked again and it had moved a good deal in a generally southern direction and the “starburst” effect struck me more as a tail at that time. Upon further review I could see the southern movement abd it struck me as somewhat slower than airlines I see overhead which all seem to be going west towards the SF Bay Area.

I don’t know where to look to see if there were any rockets or comets or whatever flying overhead. Anybody know?

Besides the aliens, of course. I’m not saying aliens.... but aliens.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
SpaceX falcon 9 launch out of vandenberg air force base.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/s...se-today-2018-10-07/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3453 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Bloomberg) -- Elon Musk’s rocket company launched a commercial satellite for Argentina on Sunday evening, marking SpaceX’s 17th mission of 2018 in the type of steady success that so far has eluded his electric-car maker Tesla Inc.

The Falcon 9 rocket lifted off from Vandenberg Air Force Base on California’s central coast about 7:21 p.m. local time. About 8 minutes after liftoff, the rocket’s first stage returned and landed at Vandenberg in a first for a California-based SpaceX launch. The second stage deployed SAOCOM 1A, an Argentine Earth-imaging satellite, roughly 12 minutes after the launch.

Having a rocket’s first stage return safely to Earth is part Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s strategy to reduce launch costs and win market share. SpaceX already has recovered rocket boosters several times, both on land in Florida and on drone ships at sea.

Musk is the chief executive officer, chairman and largest shareholder of both SpaceX and Tesla, two companies that are pushing frontiers of technology while surrounded by different degrees of drama. Closely held SpaceX’s valuation has climbed to about $28 billion as it racks up successful launches, making it the third-most valuable venture-backed startup in the U.S. after Uber Technologies Inc. and Airbnb Inc. SpaceX completed a record 18 missions in 2017 and is on track to exceed that number this year.

Click here for a story on SpaceX’s plan to fly its first customer to the moon

Publicly traded Tesla’s value, meanwhile, has seesawed as Musk made bold claims about taking it private, only to draw a lawsuit from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Musk ridiculed the SEC as the “Shortseller Enrichment Commission” in a tweet last week, rattling investors with a missive that could imperil the deal struck with the regulator just a week earlier. The settlement, which isn’t final, bars Musk from serving as chairman of Tesla for three years as punishment for tweets he sent about taking Tesla private, but it allows him to remain CEO. Tesla shares fell about 7.1 percent on Friday.

SpaceX has a contract to ferry American astronauts to the International Space Station as part of what’s known as the “Commercial Crew” program with NASA, but the timeline for the first flights has slipped repeatedly. The latest schedule from NASA has SpaceX’s first demonstration fight slated for January, and the first flight with astronauts on board slated for June.

In August, SpaceX employees got a chance to meet the four astronauts who will fly on Crew Dragon, the craft SpaceX designed to ferry them safely to and from the orbiting lab.

Last month, Musk announced that Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa plans to fly around the moon on the company’s BFR rocket in 2023.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas!

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
FWIW, comets movement is only noticeable over days/weeks/months. Much like the moon and planets.

You will not detect the motion with your eye.

"Shooting stars", meteors/meteorites move pretty fast. Some travel across the sky very fast lasting only a second or a fraction thereof, and some last for a few seconds, but typically nor more that about 4 seconds for the longest and slowest trajectories.

Rockets and missile shots can move about as fast as an airliner, and the most impressive are the shots that are near dusk and dawn, so that the contrails are illuminated by the sun after sunset or before the sun is risen, giving dramatic effect.

The exhaust plume expands much greater distances at higher altitudes and the expansion rate and distance as the vehicle moves toward orbit insertion is pretty wild to observe.

I have seen a few and depending on the observer's POV and the trajectory, the experiance is pretty varied.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’m here in Livermore and my friend in Tracy txted me to run outside and look due south. It was quite bright we watched it for a few minutes. Glad they landed it safely.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it at 7:31. My first thought was "Oh shit, Para's comet is here..." I may spend to much time browsing this forum.
Oscar Zulu

Posts: 161 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
My daughter called me outside around 8:30 Mountain time. Strange looking light that seemed to be the moon peeking through a slit in the clouds. Then it got bigger and looked like a comet with a tail. The whole thing started to curve the further south it went. We viewed this from New Mexico. I would not have thought we could see it from that far.

Posts: 5699 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
FWIW, comets movement is only noticeable over days/weeks/months. Much like the moon and planets.

You will not detect the motion with your eye.

"Shooting stars", meteors/meteorites move pretty fast. Some travel across the sky very fast lasting only a second or a fraction thereof, and some last for a few seconds, but typically nor more that about 4 seconds for the longest and slowest trajectories.

Rockets and missile shots can move about as fast as an airliner, and the most impressive are the shots that are near dusk and dawn, so that the contrails are illuminated by the sun after sunset or before the sun is risen, giving dramatic effect.

The exhaust plume expands much greater distances at higher altitudes and the expansion rate and distance as the vehicle moves toward orbit insertion is pretty wild to observe.

I have seen a few and depending on the observer's POV and the trajectory, the experiance is pretty varied.

Around 1995 or 1996 I was driving North on I-81 after sunset and recall enjoying watching Hale-Bopp off my left shoulder for a couple hours as I drove up to see a girlfriend at Penn State.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
The picture at this link is how it appeared to me. Pretty cool.

http://centralvalleytv.net/new...-on-show-over-valley

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I saw it.

I'm in the next town over from ElToro.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3496 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post