SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automotive Question: What is this???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automotive Question: What is this??? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I have seen some really crazy, stupid, and idiotic things done to vehicles in my lifetime, but this is an all-new low for me. What the bloody hell IS THIS???

They stuck out so far on both sides of the vehicle that he practically filled the whole lane. Heaven help anyone trying to pass him if he wasn't careful to keep the car centered in his own lane!

Not that it really matters I suppose, but the driver was Hispanic, and the car had Texas plates. Is this a regional thing that hasn't made it's way to Alabama yet? Seems as preposterous as the pickup trucks that have been raised in the front and lowered in the back, making them look like a dog taking a dump!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
James Bonds car perhaps?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I believe those are just decorative hubcaps, or if not a hubcap, decorative however installed.

In some of the apocalyptic movies, like Mad Max, etc., and even in the movie Grease, they have similar things that can cut into a vehicle in the next lane if so inclined.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
At about one minute in during the race you'll see something similar being used:

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I believe those are just decorative hubcaps, or if not a hubcap, decorative however installed.

In some of the apocalyptic movies, like Mad Max, etc., and even in the movie Grease, they have similar things that can cut into a vehicle in the next lane if so inclined.

Yup, decorative hubcaps.
Can't imagine the wheel would balance at speed with that monstrosity hanging off of it.

Not that they'd likely get stopped for it, but some of these are so wide, they technically/legally should probably have clearance lights like a 1-ton dually.

And, as seen, usually on a cheap Buick.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is it? Poor taste.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That my friend is a "Houston Swinger"

To be more specific, the car is a Slab, and the wheels are swangas.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 970 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Those revolving fashion statements are starting to be spotted here in the Bay Area, usually in the form of spiked lugnut covers. But those in the OP are way over the top.

Even if made from chromed plastic (though some are actually metal), I can't see how this isn't an unnecessary hazard.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
<<snip>>

Yes, I realize they're decorative, just like the pooping pickup trucks are supposedly "decorative", but this old boy "just don't get it". Looks like total insanity to me!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Those revolving fashion statements are starting to be spotted here in the Bay Area, usually in the form of spiked lugnut covers. But those in the OP are way over the top.

Even if made from chromed plastic (though some are actually metal), I can't see how this isn't an unnecessary hazard.

I see those on semis all the time. Just never seen anything like what I posted before....

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
They're perky.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
2023 version of "curb feelers". Eek

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't believe those are street legal for as wide as it makes the vehicle. With that said, they look ridiculous.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn’t they have those on the chariots in Gladiator?

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In most states crap like this is illegal because it's a hazard to pedestrians. Unfortunately most police agencies today are chronically understaffed so this is rarely enforced.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger on the chariot race. I was thinking Ben-Hur.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So do they have to put clearance lights on a Buick?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Spinner hub caps ?

Did the fall apart ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Looks like shit!!!! .... Consider the owner/drivers thinking it looks cool and keeping up with the cool kids. . ..... If not illegal then they should be. .... Just wait for the lawsuits when a pedestrian is clipped below the knees!!! Or other vehicles damaged because of these items be they in traffic or private property (such like parking lots).... Hope they have a good lawyer as well as a good insurance policy. ........................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2005 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Your dude there is about 6 or 7 years behind the times.
Paul Wall made those things popular for about 6 months around 2015 maybe.
They started in Houston.
They took the idea from the early 80s Cadillac and stretched them like 12”.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post