SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    14 Oct update in original post: Please help me plan my cross-country road trip - wanna meet members
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

14 Oct update in original post: Please help me plan my cross-country road trip - wanna meet members Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Nov. 13 - Start trip to Pensacola. This leg takes me from western Montana to Rapid City > Sioux Falls > Kansas City > Memphis > Mobile > Pensacola.

My kids love outdoors activities. My daughter loves animals so I'll be looking for good zoo's and similar sites. My son LOVES dinosaurs so we are gonna look for some museums along the way.

Your daughter would love this place. Reptile Gardens on Rt16 just a few miles south of Rapid City.
https://www.reptilegardens.com/

And almost next door is the Dinosaur Museum for your son
https://blackhillsdinosaurmuseum.com/index.html

And to sweeten the deal, located next to these two sites is this. Big Grin Big Grin https://rushmorecandycompany.com/

I would enjoy meeting you all but with my health situation I couldn't guarantee being able to meet up. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you are aware that Rapid City is close to both Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments. and the Devil's Tower (Ooo ee ah bu la).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
For the leg to Yellowstone, I'd go from Provo to Logan via I-15, from there head to Bear Lake through Logan Canyon. Once you hit Bear Lake, head to Montpelier and from there to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That will allow you to go through Grand Teton National Park before you enter Yellowstone via the South Entrance. By far, this will be the nicest drive with the best canyons to view. You can also get some of the best ice cream in the country at Utah State University in Logan. Their chocolate lab/store is also a good place to hit. In Logan swing by Gossner Foods and get some cheese to eat on the drive too.

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in Cody, Wyoming. We have rodeos every night as well as white water rafting.
Also, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is in Cody. Has 5 museums, including the Winchester firearms collection.

PC

Posts: 1331 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
For the leg to Yellowstone, I'd go from Provo to Logan via I-15, from there head to Bear Lake through Logan Canyon. Once you hit Bear Lake, head to Montpelier and from there to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That will allow you to go through Grand Teton National Park before you enter Yellowstone via the South Entrance. By far, this will be the nicest drive with the best canyons to view. You can also get some of the best ice cream in the country at Utah State University in Logan. Their chocolate lab/store is also a good place to hit. In Logan swing by Gossner Foods and get some cheese to eat on the drive too.

I'll take your advice, would love to see the Tetons as well. And going through Provo affords me the opportunity to meet 4.40.

quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
I am in Cody, Wyoming. We have rodeos every night as well as white water rafting.
Also, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is in Cody. Has 5 museums, including the Winchester firearms collection.

PC

Would love to grab a beer or dinner in Cody, I'll ask the kids about the Rodeo, I never know what my daughter considers animal abuse vs. fun to be honest!. Planning an overnight stay in Cody to check out the museums before heading up to Montana.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6248 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
There are several of us in the Provo area BTW.

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
There are several of us in the Provo area BTW.

Sounds good, I'll plan an overnight stay in Provo Area before heading up to Jackson the next day. It'll be a nice way to break up the drive from the Dinosaur park in Colorado.

Posts: 6248 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the Sioux City area. Between Sioux Falls and Omaha on your journey to KC. Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo is top notch! West of Omaha is a large and really neat SAC air museum. You know it’s cool when you walk in and right above your head is a SR71!

Sioux City has a decent museum and also a decent small air museum by the airport. There is also the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center along w/ the Sgt.Floyd Monument for the only member of the party that died. Directly across the Missouri River from that in NE is a half size copy of the Vietnam Memorial that draws a lot of people.

Let me know and we can work something out to try to meet up.

Posts: 4021 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
On your drive from Cody to Great Falls you could hit Bozeman. There is the Museum of the Rockies there with more dinosaur stuff. From there I would suggest taking 86/89 north to White Sulphur Springs. There is a neat little "castle" there that the county runs as a museum, but it may not be open in November. From there head north through the Lewis & Clark National Forest to Great Falls.

This is, over course, weather dependent. If its snowing at all I would stick to the major highways.

Castle Museum in White Sulphur Springs
https://centralmontana.com/listings/102.htm

Museum of the Rockies
https://museumoftherockies.org/

Posts: 11150 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Great Falls, and can recommend a few places to eat while you’re there. These are places that any of us displaced folks HAVE to go whenever we go back.

El Comedor and you have to have some of their fluffy tacos (trust me you’ll thank me later). The Fat Alberto is another staple there, although I’ve never had one myself...I always opt for the tacos.

Taco Treat for fast food tacos. Nothing like Taco Bell or anything similar. Much higher quality. You can buy their taco sauce online...in fact I have some in my kitchen right now.

For pizza you have to check out Howard’s Pizza. Several locations in Great Falls to choose from. They still prepare the dough by flipping it up in the air. It’s an amazing thin crust pizza...I always get their taco pizza because nobody comes close to making as good of one. My other favorite is the ground beef pizza...but you really can’t go wrong with anything there.

For Italian food....Borries in Black Eagle (northeast part of the area). They make their own meat sauce and it’s amazing. The homemade breadsticks are great too...they’re not soft but rather crunchy but eaten with butter they’re really good. I highly recommend the ravioli.

I haven’t been back there in about 15 years or so...and every time I think about it I think about these 4 places.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't live anywhere near Dallas but saw you're going through there.
Just be sure to go to the Sixth Floor Museum if you've never been there.

https://www.jfk.org/

Posts: 9450 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I love road trip. in January i rode to PA to visit my parents. I was a fun drive with my brother at my side. So many great stops and great food diners. I will be in Forth Worth TX, If anyone wants to go shooting.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
this is WHY this site rocks !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
In the very north tip of Northwest Arkansas with a range very close to the house if you're interested.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
I grew up in Great Falls, and can recommend a few places to eat while you’re there. These are places that any of us displaced folks HAVE to go whenever we go back.

El Comedor and you have to have some of their fluffy tacos (trust me you’ll thank me later). The Fat Alberto is another staple there, although I’ve never had one myself...I always opt for the tacos.

Taco Treat for fast food tacos. Nothing like Taco Bell or anything similar. Much higher quality. You can buy their taco sauce online...in fact I have some in my kitchen right now.

For pizza you have to check out Howard’s Pizza. Several locations in Great Falls to choose from. They still prepare the dough by flipping it up in the air. It’s an amazing thin crust pizza...I always get their taco pizza because nobody comes close to making as good of one. My other favorite is the ground beef pizza...but you really can’t go wrong with anything there.

For Italian food....Borries in Black Eagle (northeast part of the area). They make their own meat sauce and it’s amazing. The homemade breadsticks are great too...they’re not soft but rather crunchy but eaten with butter they’re really good. I highly recommend the ravioli.

I haven’t been back there in about 15 years or so...and every time I think about it I think about these 4 places.

You sir just planned 3 of our meals if we are close enough.

I've always considered food the best way to learn about an area. It's the best way for us to share. So going to these little mom and pop places and finding local favorites is huge on my list.

Thank you

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Updated in OP.

We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Not sure your planned route returning to Fort Meade but if you come through central WV I’d love to meet up. There are different activities available for kids (mine is 4.5) so let me know and I can plan something. Safe travels!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone closes November 1st this year.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
Yellowstone closes November 1st this year.

I see now, most park roads closed on Nov. 8th...well that sucks ass... kids will enjoy the scenery and drive regardless. I'll find somewhere else to camp.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
Not sure your planned route returning to Fort Meade but if you come through central WV I’d love to meet up. There are different activities available for kids (mine is 4.5) so let me know and I can plan something. Safe travels!

Planning on checking out a property in the Jane Lew area if its still available at that time. Doubt it will be but I'll still be coming through WV.