SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has Anyone Noticed How Salty CFA Chicken Really Is?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Anyone Noticed How Salty CFA Chicken Really Is? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
At a birthday party yesterday afternoon for our three year old, we had a tray of Chick-fil-A nuggets, I absentmindedly grabbed one later that had cooled to room temperature and popped it in my mouth, no sauce.

Man alive! That’s why these things taste so good, they are quite salty. I love salt and salt, everything, but eating one of these at room temperature really opened my eyes, they brine them first and then they coat them in that seasoned flour, which must have a lot of salt in it.

I’m not complaining, just making an observation here. Salt does bring out the flavor of everything.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Salt, fat, and sugar are the primary things that trigger our caveman brains to think that things "taste good". That's why all fast food is loaded down with it.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all prepared food, whether it’s fast food or not, is loaded with salt.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The only thing I've pretty much ever eaten from CFA is their morning chicken biscuit. It's been a very long time...years...since I've had one, but thinking back, I don't recall the saltiness being noticeable or overpowering. I put honey on them, so maybe that subdued the saltiness?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just looked it up and it’s something like 1400 mg of sodium per CFA chicken sandwich compared to something like 690 mg for McDonald’s. So it’s not just my imagination.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch my salt intake after having a heart issue and was interested if their spicy chicken morning sandwich. It has 1500mg of sodium which is outrageous. Probably the highest sodium content of any single item I have ever looked up. A definite pass for me after that.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Oh just dandy. Sunday morning and now I have a craving for a CFA spicy chicken sandwich. Thanks guys.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I counted 21 cars waiting in line at noon the other day waiting to get their CFA fix.

Three at the Wendy's, 90 feet away.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
A while back I had to be very careful of salt intake for medical reasons. My Dr. said no eating out period, fast food or otherwise. An eating establishment has one job and that is to get you to like their food so you come back. The most cost effective method for doing that is to load everything down with salt. After being careful to cut way down on salt intake, I was able to eat out again, and found that things I had eaten all my life were very salty.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Had to look at this thread on a Sunday. Thanks a lot.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never got the hype for CFA. Yes the staff is well trained and polite. Their morals and politics seem to align with mine. However the food is nothing special and while most CFAs I've been to have lines that stretch around the block, one opened up here in town and it always looks slow.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

I never did either, Hildur. I believe the reasoning behind CFA's popularity and success is a fairly simple business model:

1) You mentioned it...their politics and values relate to MANY soccer moms with similar political and family values, and they keep politics out of their business. I just hope they don't go woke at some point!
2) You mentioned it...their customer service training is second to none.
3) Chicken...It's the fallacy that eating (this) chicken is healthier than hamburgers. I don't think it is...JMHO.
4) Advertising...you gotta admit, those cows on the billboards are pretty funny.
5) Happy employees?...as a teen, I would have been more happy with my job had I been guaranteed Sundays off.

That's my take. It's worth exactly what you're paying for it... Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like CFA. Before I retired in ‘18, it was a frequent lunch spot (In-N-out being another). Now that I’m on my own time, I can visit earlier before the crowds hit and I continue to frequent.

I’m only 70, I’ve never really worried about salt intake and it will be rare to see me in a grocery store isle reading the nutrition labels. Everyone dies. I enjoy while I can.

Posts: 815 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I counted 21 cars waiting in line at noon the other day waiting to get their CFA fix.

Three at the Wendy's, 90 feet away.
I'll bet that all 21 cars at Chick-Fil-A were through the line and on their way, while two of the original three were still waiting at Wendy's.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chick-fil-A

I feel so deprived. The nearest one is 60 miles away.
Worse yet the nearest Krispy Kreme is 100 miles away

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6409 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
CFA is extremely popular in my little north Texas town. One in a ideal site has a three lane drive through that is maned by walking "waiters" during the peak.

As to the salt, I've noticed this at just about every FF offering. Salt rules. You can tell if you have left overs and eat them not completely hot the next day. The salt is overpowering.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Even fresh off the grill and hot I found CFA food too salty and bland for my liking.

Posts: 5758 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
k5blazer -- too bland? Have you tried the Spicy Chicken sandwich?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for explaining what it is about Chick-fil-A sandwiches that I like. The Mrs. is not a fan so it isn’t a common meal, but I do enjoy them. I was trying to figure out what it was about the that I liked as they seemed pretty simple, but I sure do like them. As someone who like a little food with my salt, I now know what the CFA attraction is.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... and the MSG.

--K

Posts: 195 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post