SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need crow help from Bird experts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need crow help from Bird experts Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
We have a nesting pair in the trees right next to us. I'm a live and let live kind - except for yellow jacket hives - so I leave them be.

Last couple weeks, they've been going tapioca whenever I dare to walk in my yard. That and eating all the fruit my wife is growing.

I typically leave them be, but getting uppity as I dare to walk my own property is over the line.

I was under assault by them a few days back, so I walked over to the hose, set the nozzle to JET and unleashed it in their general direction.

No birds were moistened in the exercise since they are indeed intelligent and had an idea of what was happening before it happened.

They flew off a 1/2 block, groused for a while for self respect reasons no doubt and now... we live in harmony.

Sometimes you've got to establish a baseline.

Live in my trees, eat my fruit but don't pee in my Wheaties.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
to OP I say be glad they are just crows and not buzzards, which roosted in a big dead pine right next to my parents' house (across the property line.) There would be 15-20 in this tree at times and I even had to climb onto the roof one day to remove a dead one (not sure how it met it's demise.) Some days you could smell them from 100' away when you stepped out the door. We used a flare/cap gun to scare them off until they finally got the message.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I have to buy them their own pizza now.

Potential YouTube gold! Smile

I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two!

Here's a morning peanut feeding.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in the Buckeye state, I had a nesting pair in a tree near the house. It did not take much time at all for them to figure out I fed peanuts to the squirrels and chipmunks every day. When I came out of the garage with the peanuts, they both would fly down and then walk along behind me until I loaded the feeder. Smart birds! And the whole walk with me to the feeder thing was weird. They never dive bombed me but they were very vocal if they thought I was too close to the nest. They also fearlessly took on any stray cats that happened by.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I can indeed say they are crows. I am hoping that they calmed down while we have been gone and the swooping will stop. Their nest is in a bunch of trees between four houses. When I was getting the mail and being swooped on the neighbor said the crows often come in their garage and peck at the snacks they have out for the kids. I tried to save one an injured one last year. Left out some food and water but think a cat got him.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of these guys do not remember Heckle and Jeckle. They were actually magpies but members of the crow family. The cartoons used to be pretty funny.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well at least you don't have a duck guarding your front door. My wife called me a few weeks ago an said there was a duck at our door and what should she do? I figured just leave it be and assumed it had a nest nearby. My son and I put up the hurricane shutters on the front windows and the duck jumped out at us. We found the nest. It’s only three feet from our front door hidden in a planter box full of sago palms. The nest has about 7 eggs. The worst part is our dog “knows” the duck is out there and barks and growls at it.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Auburn just west of Syracuse gets hammered with crow. Even the falcons brought in just get tired and sit to watch.

Yep. When I lived in Skaneateles it was legal to shoot them in Auburn. Not sure if it still is. They used to have crow killing contests over there.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We’re very high this year with predators/scavengers. That includes two red fox families, a hawk nest(sharp shinned or Coopers) then the ground critters & coyotes a bit further out.

I normally let things be, haven’t seen a turkey chick yet this year, a fair amount of hens around. I get rid of possums & skunks if given the opportunity. There is a crow family or two around, can tell by the baby squawks.

I don’t really have a problem curbing predator numbers at times.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live next to the Gulf by the Ashtabula River.
Once a year the crows congregate in the trees above my house. I'm talking hundreds of crows.
They have never physically bothered any of us but it is quite intimidating to step outside in the morning and be deafened by all the chatter.
They tent to leave after a few days. No harm, no foulWink

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post