SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need crow help from Bird experts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need crow help from Bird experts Login/Join 
Picture of bonfire
posted
I was mowing our neighbors lawn and did not notice a fledgling was in the corner of the yard. Next thing I know I am getting dive bombed by two crows. I immediately retreated away and was able to escape. Now anytime I go outside I am getting attacked. Looks like so far I am dealing with at least two adult crows and their baby. They live in a tree in our backyard and never had any issues till now. I put up reflective streamers all around the yard and even played some crow deterring sounds. Works great till I walk outside then we left for a week on vacation but I know crows are extremely smart so I know when we come back I am sure I will swooped on again. I ordered a falcon decoy and even a dead crow model and plan on hanging it upside down from a pole in the middle of the yard. Since they are in the trees I was thinking of setting up a water hose and turning it on when they rest in the tree. Might not reach them but may scare them. I've looked at ultrasonic Bird machines but the reviews are bad. I can get them with a bb gun but really don't want to go that route. Houses are close by but I could pick them off from inside because I would be shooting down and into the lawn. Local animal control says they can't do anything till the crows cause major property damage.

What are best ways to deal with this?

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12 ga. 2 3/4 #8 shot.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The BB gun seems like a solid option.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They want to take care of their baby. They only are trying to help their baby. You could move it somewhere safe nearby and they will leave you be.

Swooping ain't gonna kill you.

Feed them and you will have friends for life.

As for you other two assholes, people like you are what is wrong with the world. Shoot first and show no kindness. I had to deal with the results of your kind on a daily basis with all the gunshot hawks and owls.

Replace crow with dog and watch the response.

You make all gun owners look like Fudds.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I can't add much to Mars' post, except to suggest a truce might be in order. If they're nesting in your yard and have fledglings, they don't have the option of moving on right now.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
They want to take care of their baby. They only are trying to help their baby. You could move it somewhere safe nearby and they will leave you be.

Swooping ain't gonna kill you.

As for you other two assholes, people like you are what is wrong with the world. Shoot first and show no kindness. I had to deal with the results of your kind on a daily basis with all the gunshot hawks and owls.

You make all gun owners look like Fudds.

Sure, crows can be pests, I've seen the havoc they caused Bugs Bunny back in the corn fields in the movies, but there is no way on earth that I would deliberately hurt a baby bird of any kind, especially a crow or any corvid. My Great Uncle Ted had a lady raven living with him for the best part of twenty-five years, so me and corvids generally see eye to eye.

Here in UK we tend to care for bird babies if and when we find them, mostly by just doing nothing but ignoring them, as their parents more often than not come back for them when you're not around. One local guy in our village is fostering his latest crow, called Harry [they are ALL called Harry] - one in a long line of saved and released birds over the years.

Harry had been hit by a passing car, but is making a good recovery. I'm going to see him tomorrow, and I'll pass on your good wishes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not that I don't agree with what you are saying but if a dog charged/attacked me in my back yard we would have a problem

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
You could foster a cat.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Having lived underneath a flock of 20,000 crows for a time (yes...you read that right...20,000 ( NY crows )), I can tell you that the only way to rid yourself of them is to start killing them. They are smart, so the owl and other predator bird decoys are useless, as are the hazing techniques. The only way to get them to move out is proper motivation. And hanging the dead crow decoy will only piss them off.

Sorry if that offends the tender sensitivities of bird lovers, most (I would guess all) of which have never had to deal with the problems crows bring.

ETA: We are at the top of the food chain. As such, we have a responsibily to manage wildlife...including birds. Thinning the herd is a necessary evil. No different than managing deer, elk, bears, or wolves. Somehow, though, I don't expect any outrage for the latter.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I'd try before anything else.

Crows are exceedingly intelligent. The recognize faces. They've even been known to defend human friends. I would try to befriend them.

We've a bunch of crows in and around our yard. One of these days I'm going to research it and see if I can't make friends with them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

As for you other two assholes, people like you are what is wrong with the world.

From one asshole to another, guess you don't recognize sarcasm when you see it.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Having lived underneath a flock of 20,000 crows for a time (yes...you read that right...20,000 ( NY crows )), I can tell you that the only way to rid yourself of them is to start killing them. They are smart, so the owl and other predator bird decoys are useless, as are the hazing techniques. The only way to get them to move out is proper motivation. And hanging the dead crow decoy will only piss them off.

Sorry if that offends the tender sensitivities of bird lovers, most (I would guess all) of which have never had to deal with the problems crows bring.

ETA: We are at the top of the food chain. As such, we have a responsibily to manage wildlife...including birds. Thinning the herd is a necessary evil. No different than managing deer, elk, bears, or wolves. Somehow, though, I don't expect any outrage for the latter.
Auburn just west of Syracuse gets hammered with crow. Even the falcons brought in just get tired and sit to watch.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the op is confusing crows with blackbirds. Sounds to me he is dealing with blackbirds perhaps the redwing variety. They are about the size of a Robin who will also swoop on you if you get close to a fledgling. Crows are much larger and generally don't nest in residential neighborhood trees as far as I know. Crows will be seen in a neighborhood but generally nest in larger wooded areas.

I'm for live and let live unless it's a infestation of my home of some sort like feral cats living under my three season house. That was dealt with in a more permanent way. Something like what the op describes is easily dealt with without harm coming to the bird family.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess that is possible, but unlikely unless he has below average visual identification skills.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have six pairs of barn Swallows under my front porch. They are messy, loud and will let you know really quick you are too close, but we enjoy watching them raise their babies.

One of the earlier babies has established a nest and knows Tabitha. She is the ONLY person tolerated on the front porch. In fact when he isn't feeding babies, he's on her chair chattering with her. He will sit there and call her out to come and see him.

They will be gone by September and the pressure washer will take care of any mess they left.

I have a mob of crows on the property that we feed every day. They all show up when the pizza guy does, so I have to buy them their own pizza now.

I highly anticipate when they bring this year's young by to meet us.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last summer we had a pair of broad winged hawks build a nest about 30' off our driveway. Once the baby was born, we were treated to the dive bombing and screeching on walks to the mailbox. It was actually pretty neat. They would get close enough to feel the air and occasionally a wingtip would ding the top of your head. A few weeks later, the hatchling was out of the nest and learning to fly around the trees, so the parents settled down.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to buy them their own pizza now.

Potential YouTube gold! Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have six pairs of barn Swallows under my front porch. They are messy, loud and will let you know really quick you are too close, but we enjoy watching them raise their babies.

One of the earlier babies has established a nest and knows Tabitha. She is the ONLY person tolerated on the front porch. In fact when he isn't feeding babies, he's on her chair chattering with her. He will sit there and call her out to come and see him.

They will be gone by September and the pressure washer will take care of any mess they left.

I have a mob of crows on the property that we feed every day. They all show up when the pizza guy does, so I have to buy them their own pizza now.

I highly anticipate when they bring this year's young by to meet us.

but surely you realize you like birds a lot more than most people do...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

but surely you realize you like birds a lot more than most people do...

Which is why I assume he asked the question.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It seems you witnessed a murder.
Or. You have a murder on your hands.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post