SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We are starting to entertain a move back north Tell me about New Hampshire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are starting to entertain a move back north Tell me about New Hampshire Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
How about Havre, Montana?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The housing market is really hot right now. Unemployment is now the lowest in the country.

Real estate taxes might be high but there is zero income tax. All the other state comments seem to forget some of the highest sales tax.

Too many factors to say one state or the other is best. frankly, I would never live in an area that has hot summers that hit the high 90's daily. As far as the winters, saying that southern Seacoast NH has harsh winters as bad as those in MI or the northern NY state area is foolish. No comparison.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
let me put the property taxes in perspective for you

I have a new home that's 50% bigger than my NH house, live on a plot of land that 10X what I had in NH and my property tax bill is 1/3 of what it was in NH

getting ready to retire? might want to think twice about it - there is no relief from the taxes working, retired or whatever they will fuck you out of every single dime that you have, they will fee you in bankruptcy and when all is said and done, you have absolutely nothing to show for it

there is nothing in NH worth moving there for.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
NH had been a very conservative state for ever. Then i think it was in the 80's more and more Mass, CT, NY, people moved into the state. These folks left their state to get away from it and have now changed the political outlook of NH. Because of the fact we poor, dumb hllbillies didnt know how to live our lives. They had to educate us and fuck up our state. Live Free or Die is our States motto. We recently adopted a no CCW law, where we had to have a carry license before. Property taxes are ridiculous, water is expensive, winters are tough ( we are getting hit tomorrow with 12+"). Im 55 and still live here. Why? Because its a good state to raise kids. Crime is low, and the quality of life is good. There are so many good reasons to live and raise a family here I could write a 10 bazillion word essay on it. Suffice to say, if you are from another state and want to move here to educate us on how to live, how we should bebeducating our children, how we do everything wrong, stay the hell out. VT and NH are very different. VT is an uber liberal state, a Nanny state if you will. Funny though, VT does not require a permit to Carry concealed. Remember, Bernie comes from VT! Live Free or Die Baby!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Left a long time ago. The southern part of the state is now Massachusetts without the sales tax.

Mee too!
I have several family members who still live there. As I understand it the job market is still tough and there is a significant Meth problem in places like Manchester.
If I were contemplating moving back there i would concentrate on areas north of Concord..
Best of luck.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why don't you look at MI, WI. or other states in the north?

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
As far as the winters, saying that southern Seacoast NH has harsh winters as bad as those in MI or the northern NY state area is foolish. No comparison.

Gotta disagree. I lived in central Michigan for 4 years and winters there were comparable to where I've lived the rest of my life in northwest Rockingham county. If you want to talk about the folks on the shoreline of the lakes than that's a different story as they get buried.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
Why don't you look at MI, WI. or other states in the north?

Michigan stinks. Taxes are relatively high and there are a LOT of them. Car insurance is ridiculous - DOUBLE what I paid in TN. Car tags are based on the original MSRP of the vehicle. They just raised the gas tax.

And what do you get for it? Shitty roads and subpar schools in most areas.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Being a fresh transplant to CT from Ohio, I will tell you that I would never, ever, not in one million years consider moving here at any age close to that of retirement.

My house in Ohio was smaller than my house here, but my lot was 4 times the size. My taxes are 9k per year higher here! The city does not pick up leaves, you are responsible for clearing the sidewalks of snow, (you WILL get a ticket), they do not pick up bulk trash items, you need a permit to do ANYTHING to your house, my neighbors are all commie scum, and to top it all off, half of my guns would have made me an instant felon, so they are safely stored elsewhere.

I am here because the wifey needed to be here. As soon as this assignment is up, we are gone. The political climate is terrible, the taxes are horrible, and manufacturing is running away from here as fast as they can.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Being a fresh transplant to CT from Ohio, I will tell you that I would never, ever, not in one million years consider moving here at any age close to that of retirement.

CT is not the same as NH

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
CT is not the same as NH

I realize this, but the fact remains that your dollar goes much further in the south, southwest, or central US.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the input.

Money does go further in the south to be sure.
We have family up that way however and between living in one of the top 100 worst places for allergies, the storms (which) make my allergies worse and seemingly have me repairing a roof all too often and the fact that I miss having real fall and winter has us entertaining a move. Nothing in stone yet. But once again thanks for all the input.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the subjective / aesthetic argument to move to NH -

that view from the summit of Gunstock Ski Area overlooking lake Winnipesaukee is absolutely beautiful and breathtaking!

Posts: 3462 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me about New Hampshire

US Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Lab

Supposedly it's just one facility in Hanover. Rumor has it the weather sometimes escapes the lab, though. Wink

Posts: 14998 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post