SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life Insurance questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Insurance questions. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
The life insurance policy that I got when I got married has run out. Looking for a new term policy. At the time of application I was 58. 6 foot even. 195 pounds. Only take Lopid for triglycerides. Had one minor surgery 3 years ago. Recovered completely. Back in August me and my wife contacted Amica. Applied over the phone. Did the electronic signing of documents bit a day later. Amica scheduled a lab tech to take the blood work. First attempt failed because tech didn't show up. The Amica lady we are dealing apologized and assured us this isn't the way they do business. She got on the horn and scheduled another appointment. Which was completed.

After signing releases from my doctor so they could get records they noticed I was referred for a colonoscopy. Which I knew I was up for and asked my new doctor for, but never received the referral. My first 3 years ago one polyp was removed pathology pre cancerous benign. So, I get the colonoscopy and it was clear. I sent a copy of what was given to me to the Amica lady. She said great I'll pass it on. No request for a call/waiver to my doctor for the official records. She said the first application expired and we'll have to do another. By this time I'm getting a little pissed, but said okay which I did. I waited two weeks and contacted them by email and asked when we could arrange for the tech to come by for blood work. She gave me a Denver number and said call it. They did all the tech arrangements the first time. How do I know what to ask for the bloodwork?

I'm getting the distinct impression they are trying to run out the clock and have no intention of doing business with me. I just seems they are taking the least amount of time for me. Thoughts?

Posts: 7541 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Not sure about a possible runaround, but what do you mean your current policy has "run out"? Isn't it renewable term?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was in the same position as you. I have all my other policies with Amica so I gave them a call for Life Insurance. I went thru the entire process including bloodwork- and they declined to offer me a policy.

Ever since then, I get regular mailings from them asking if I’d be interested in adding a Life Insurance policy to the rest of my policies. And when I call them for reasons related to my other policies, the Amica rep always asks me about adding Life Insurance.

A bunch of tools.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son worked for Amica. They are very customer oriented. I can't believe some of his stories about how they bent over backwards for their customers. I don't know what's going on with your situation, but IMO Amica is a stand up company, IMHO.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Not sure about a possible runaround, but what do you mean your current policy has "run out"? Isn't it renewable term?

It was a term policy that ran out. My wife decided to go with another firm to try to save money.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Is it already out? Some term policies can be converted to whole policies.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will get your best results and best rates thru a Broker and not a captive agent. The Broker will be able to shop your particulars across a number of companies and find the best fit.

I have used Zander Insurance and been very pleased with the outcome. In the end, they found me a great Level Term policy with Lincoln National Life. +

Avoid Whole Life and anything remotely similar. Invest with an investment account, save in a savings account, use Term Life for the best/most cost effective Life insurance. Whole Life is a great vehicle to generate massive fees for you and a massive commission for the agent.

Just my $0.02

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Life insurance agent here. I don't do a lot of fully underwritten stuff, mostly final expense, simplified issue. But I can't write an application and set it to start more than about 45 days later. With fully underwritten, they plan on it taking a while. I just don't know what Amica's guidelines are.

But every life insurance application asks about upcoming tests, recommended tests and recently taken tests for which results are not yet known. I'm guessing that's where the hang up was with this one. You had a scheduled test at the time of application, so they put it all on hold until after the test date and, by the time they got the results, they had to start over.

BTW, if you were 58 last time around, you must be 63 or 68 now. That's pretty old for term, unless you really know exactly how this all works and are fine with it.

I was in an appt. with a 64 yr. old woman yesterday who swore she had $60k whole life for $110/month. I promised her that was term and it took me about 30 min. to convince her to let me call her company. Once I had their policy service rep. on the phone, I asked all the questions and let him hang himself. Poor woman was devastated to find out what was about to happen to her policy and what it would cost to renew.

Posts: 3548 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm 59 now. I understand why I had to reapply. Anything involving a quote has a certain time length.

Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
First, they want your business. Keep in mind, they have only one chance to evaluate your health for the financial risk they will assume.

I am a little confused by the timeline in your original post. You applied in Aug 2019, had the exam, they pulled your medical records and found that you did not have the 2nd colonoscopy. At that time they would have postponed making a decision until you had the 2nd colonoscopy. It sounds like you had the test done and sent the results in and now you are hearing silence.

The original application is probably only good for 6 months. Your blood results from August 2019 should still be applicable. I recommend calling the case manager and asking for an update on your decision. If that gets you nowhere, call Amica's sales number and ask to reapply. The new application can use all the information that has been gathered. They will also let you know if there is anything new you need to do.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
At 68 years of age, what risk are you "insuring" against?

If you died in your 30's with young kids, a policy is insurance against your wife and kids being out on the streets, destitute without you as an income source.

At 68, shouldn't a few thousand dollars set aside for funeral expenses be enough?

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
At 68 years of age, what risk are you "insuring" against?

If you died in your 30's with young kids, a policy is insurance against your wife and kids being out on the streets, destitute without you as an income source.

At 68, shouldn't a few thousand dollars set aside for funeral expenses be enough?

This.

You are replacing income with life insurance. Are you still working? How much longer do you plan on working? You should only be insuring for the present value of future income.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Go through your credit union. If not a member, join one.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Actually, a price quote is good until your next birthday or change in health. But a lot of companies won't let an application sit in limbo indefinitely. Signatures, authorizations, disclosures, etc. are not evergreen.

It happens to me about once a month that someone I had been talking to and who was very interested, but couldn't keep the appt. or make up their mind on that day, becomes uninsurable by our next appointment.

Two months ago I had a woman who was dying to sign up, but it was Sat. afternoon and the phone app. place had already closed for the day. Made an appt. for Mon. and she no-showed me. By the time I got back in front of her a month later, she had been in the hospital overnight for congestive heart failure. Sorry lady - you now have to wait two more years. Seriously, this happens to me once a month.

Posts: 3548 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Actually, a price quote is good until your next birthday or change in health. But a lot of companies won't let an application sit in limbo indefinitely. Signatures, authorizations, disclosures, etc. are not evergreen.

It happens to me about once a month that someone I had been talking to and who was very interested, but couldn't keep the appt. or make up their mind on that day, becomes uninsurable by our next appointment.

Two months ago I had a woman who was dying to sign up, but it was Sat. afternoon and the phone app. place had already closed for the day. Made an appt. for Mon. and she no-showed me. By the time I got back in front of her a month later, she had been in the hospital overnight for congestive heart failure. Sorry lady - you now have to wait two more years. Seriously, this happens to me once a month.

Here's a insurance sales horror story. Had an older gentleman want to buy a $1,000,000 UL policy. Was a $15,000 commission. The jerk lied to me and said he wasn't a smoker. Lab work comes back, nicotine. Call him up and say we can only offer $400k or the premium would nearly double. He cussed me out, I reminded him that he was the one that committed fraud, not me, he cussed me out some more, then said cancel it. I quit the insurance game not long after that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Ha. I had a guy apply as a non-smoker, I saw no evidence of smoking in his house, didn't smell anything, etc. Company I placed him with came back and said he was a smoker. I asked why they thought that. Turns out he had had a policy with them two years earlier, written as a smoker, then canceled it. I argued that the application asked if he had smoked in last 12 mos. and his old policy was way longer ago than that, so he could have legitimately been tobacco-free for the last 12+ mos. They agreed and wrote him as a non-smoker. He still canceled it before the first payment. Idiot.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I'm 59 now.

If you're 59, you should be asking yourself if you even need life insurance.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post