SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kids in your 40s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kids in your 40s Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
My dad's uncle had a son when he was 70 and he did alright. He's 90 now with a 20 year old.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I just read George Clooney at age 56 and his wife had twins, so you should be OK.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's too old. My son is 40 and has two kids that are under five years old.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
40 is not too old.

In fact, the real dangers are less than ever before. Being the dangers through older men or women and birth defects.

The real danger, is how much shit you think you can put up with.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be 41 next week. My wife is 38. We have been married 14 years, with no kids. We are in the 2nd round of IVF and are 9 weeks pregnant with twins. So, we are looking at going from no kids ever to 2 overnight. I was worried about our age and starting kids, when most of our friends are finishing their parent duties or starting out the grandparent route. I was always afraid of having kids - as I felt to never be financially or emotionally prepared. I had a friend tell me you never will have kids if that's how you feel. (as you never will feel quite ready)

Now, over 40, I'm making more money than I ever have. I also feel more patient, emotionally and spiritually prepared than I ever have. If not now, it wouldn't ever happen for us. Good luck in your journey!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Not too old, IMO. I am 44 and my boys are 5 & 6.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 49 with two boys 10 and 15. I wish that we could of had them in our early twenties when we had more energy but its really not that bad. The good thing is that most of the kids they go to school with have parents in their forties and fifties too.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
If your heart's in it, then go for it.

I'm 50 with 3 kids -- 7, 4, and 2.

Am I the "Old Dad" at baseball practice? Sure. But I'm also fitter than most 50yr old men b/c I have to keep with my kids!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Nope. Not too late.
Sounds like an already existing child needs a home.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5324 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My youngest will be graduating from High School this month, I turned 60 last month. Would NOT change a thing, no regrets!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was the baby in my family for 10 years. Then my Mom and Dad had an oops and I had a baby brother. Mom was 50 and Dad almost 60. Worked out great my brother has 4 nieces and nephews older than him.

Kept them younger and when I got drafted and sent off for my senior trip in 1969 I think his being young helped them cope.

Go for it.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
46 with a 4 year old. I never thought I wanted kids.
Best thing to ever happen to me.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
My boys were born when I was 38 & 40. I would not change a thing. I will say that if the dad is older he needs to make an investment in his health so he is around for the long haul.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
I brought my first and only child home from the hospital on my 46th birthday. Best gift I've ever received. My wife is 15 years younger, and I really thought my chances at being a father had passed me by.

Some days it's harder than others, I get a little tired of playing Lion Guard multiple times a day, but I'm thrilled to Be her Dad. She's almost 4 and full of energy. I think it's been worth every second.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
NO, you are not too old. I turned 40 14 Apr 2010, and my youngest son was born 21 May 2010.

It has been a blast. Yes I am grateful that my oldest who was 10 at the time of my youngest son's birth was willing and able to help with the little one (especially when the three of us would go out grocery shopping and errand running).

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Perhaps having your parents die when you're still young is an example of that.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Not too old IMHO. Had my first at the age of 44. She's a doctor now, and her little brother is about to graduate from college. No regrets whatsoever about being an older parent. Having those kids is the best thing that ever happened to me.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post