SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I cannot fathom troubleshooting moto issues without the interwebs (more Yamaha R1 fun)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I cannot fathom troubleshooting moto issues without the interwebs (more Yamaha R1 fun) Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
It dawned on me today just how amazing and wonderful the Internet is when it comes to troubleshooting mechanical issues. If I'm having an issue with something chances are somebody else somewhere down the line has had a similar issue.

My R1 developed an interesting malfunction today. When I apply the brakes (front or rear, while it's running or off) it kills the power to the dash. As soon as I release the brakes power cuts back on the dash as if I just turned the motorcycle on, all the lights light up simultaneously. A quick look over on the Yamaha R1 forum and I discover this is a pretty common issue and now I have quite a few possible culprits. Short, main harness, bad ground, bad v reg, or bad battery.

Thanks to the help of the Internet I've been able to pretty quickly narrow it down to a few things that could be causing the issue. It's reassuring to know this is a issue somewhat specific to this vintage R1 and with some luck I should have sorted out later today. This would've been a bit harder without the inter-webs help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really is amazing that we've gone from the Dewey decimal system at the library to having the Internet in our pockets in just the last 20 years.

You're right. There's a video or tutorial for just about anything at our fingertips. A few more clicks and the parts are on their way overnight.

Despite the many challenges society faces, it is a great time to be alive.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The battery took 5+ hours to charge. The issue disappeared with a charged battery. Now to figure out what is draining the battery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what's great is that for the moment bikes are simple. don't need a fancy diagnostic machine to work on them (exceptions of course for late model BMW's, etc.).
The actual wiring diagraphm a human can understand in the service manual.
Brakes hit the electrical system in only two places so this is easy.
Have fun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the voltage regulator is not charging the battery.....could also be a bad ground.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Remember trying to find dirty magazines without your parents catching you when you were a kid?

The internet is wonderful Wink

Sorry, I know nothing about motorcycles. Just had to point that out.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Fault Finding Guide

I'd start with the link above with a close eye on the connection coming from the regulator/rectifier. Yamaha has a bad problem of restricting electrical current flow with their white connectors instead of giving it what it needs. Also, on a bike as old as yours, age will be a factor on all connections. Moisture and other crud inside an electrical contact point will make it corrode. Might be time to look at replacing some of those connections with Weather Pack Connectors. R/R Connector Kits Everyone seems to like their products and they have connectors for just about any application.

Also, do a Current Draw Test . It might help you see where your electrical vampire is if you have one.

Hopefully you find the culprit and get everything tip top! Good luck.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The battery is reading at 14.3 volts when the bike is not running but turned to the on position (headlights & dash are on and it is ready to be started). It charged for over five hours yesterday. Is that voltage normal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
That's a completely odd voltage and way above what's possible for a 12v wet cell. Is your meter ok? Or is there something unusual in the battery box?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11012 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes, the internet has made working on cars and trucks a lot easier.

Conversely, cars and trucks were a lot easier to work on before the internet.

Ah... the old days. Where the biggest problem you had working on a car was reaching the engine.

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
14 v DC is normal to me. I would caution against thinking too deeply on the battery draining. My mosikle battery was measuring fine one day and bad the next. A new AGM battery may be all you need, even though all the forum wisdom is also correct. The Honda Interceptor wiring harness and charging gizmo were both defective by design, and had to be replaced under warranty, so these things do happen. But, it may just be the B+.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5059 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok. Brief update. I think the R1 is fixed. So now would be a good time to sell it before something else breaks. Big Grin

I spent a few hours chasing down and cleaning grounds and every connector I could reach. I installed a new voltage regulator and the bike appears to be charging its battery now. While running it is reading around 13.2-13.8 volts. The dash still dims (only noticeable at night) when I hit the brakes but it isn't cutting off anymore. I unplugged the rear brake lights and the issue disappears. I'm not sure if the dimming is normal. Maybe a LED tail conversion would draw less juice and make this issue disappear completely?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LED conversion will require that you have a converter in between the 12V and the LED bulbs, while the bulbs themselves draw little power, you still have to connect to the stock system, also you turn signals may or may not work without a module/converter inline as led's don't return a signal to modules they are working and the module (stock) thinks the bulbs burnt out and you get fast flashing lights.

I would look for a bad wire, rubbing and grounding on that circuit.

Posts: 23568 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the brake light switch energize a relay?

If the brake lights and dash are on the same circuit then installing a relay and separate wire from battery through relay to brake lights may fix the dimming

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post