SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scam firearm websites
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scam firearm websites Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
They are getting very good. But they all stand out like a sore thumb, if you pay attention, because they're all the same, when it comes to payment options. They're always some combination of these: Zelle, PP F&F, venmo, CashApp, MoneyGram, Apple Pay, bitcoin. If you see them, run away and don't look back.

sigsauergunsofficial dot com is one of these scums. They make their site so real by lifting everything from the real Sig Sauer website, such as links, images, Customer Support, phone number, etc., and put on theirs. This would likely fool almost everybody. Until you click on Buy Now, and BINGO!, payments options are Zelle and Apple Pay. Roll Eyes

These fuckers need to have their genitals burn in hell at max temp setting.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I came across one not long ago. My initial suspicion was that they had all the neat stuff “in stock.”

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Q… But their prices are sooooo good! Big Grin

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
I only browse one other message board but this came up within the past week or so. Same tell tale signs, watch what forms of payment they want and the site did look official upon visiting it, not directly firearms I don’t think (didn’t look too closely though), but ammo related. Those sites seem to be getting to a lot of people lately due to some ammunition being difficult to find.

If they won’t take a direct card, it’s probably best to just not do it.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Can we start a list of them? The bad ones that is.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11276 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I think there are too many for a list. Mrs. Flash has found 3 in the last couple of days, and they're all places selling primers.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
dang. thanks for the warning. I've been fairly trusting, but not now.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Google the street address they give - if they give one at all. It's normally residential. The big tell is if they don't accept credit cards.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I think there are too many for a list. Mrs. Flash has found 3 in the last couple of days, and they're all places selling primers.

Unfortunately true. Not only that but while they get shutdown fairly frequently it's not hard the next dude in Albania to register a new domain to a U.S. PO box and just start up again.

Buyer beware, truly. Checking any address and payment types accepted is a good start. Though the address on fraud page can easily be a legit business address for the company they are imitating. However, it's much more difficult to spoof the ICANN domain registration. But it's also not uncommon for legit businesses to not use their main address for that. There's more, but consumers in most cases are not executed or even aware of a lot of this stuff. I know some civic groups do what amounts to internet safety classes.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed at how many are out there. I guess demand drives scams.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yup, I came across one or two of those while hunting for a SigPro. Seemed like they had things in stock no one else had.

Thanks for the warning!!!

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up as I'm starting to look at a couple of guns.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
Buyer beware, truly. Checking any address and payment types accepted is a good start. Though the address on fraud page can easily be a legit business address for the company they are imitating.

Exactly. I've dealt w/ some scam sites that listed a legit FFL's address and as their own. One even sent me a photo of the legit FFL's certificate when I called them out on it.

Do a reverse search on the address to see if the phone# matches w/ what else you find. I called one shop to ask them about their "website", and they told me, "Hell no! We're aware of that scammer, and we're trying to get the FBI, ATF, FTC, etc to shut down their phony website using our info."

The bottom line as 12131 posted is that scammers will only accept payment options that offer no buyer protections.

In my locality, there are tons of scammers listing private party ads who after you contact them will say, "Since I've been burned too many times, I will only meet up if you electronically pay me a $100 deposit as a show of good faith first."

It's the new 'Nigerian prince who needs you pay an escrow fee to wire money into your bank account' scam. I recently read about guy who sent over $1400 for a gun to private party transaction scammer. I always thought, "How stupid do think people are?", then someone like that reminds me of PT Barnum and why scammers gonna scam.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post