SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Evergreen State College. Liberal to the extreme
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evergreen State College. Liberal to the extreme Login/Join 
Picture of nojoy
posted
A professor at the Evergreen State College (considered the most liberal of all colleges in the US), suggested that the "Day of Absence" does not make sense, and attempts to give his reason why. This is a day for all white students and professors to walk out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7s8IAOuumQ

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.e089c002fd53

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the college. This type of behavior was not encouraged when I went to Evergreen in the early eighties. In fact, quite the opposite was true. If your position was challenged you had to respond with a well thought out statement supporting your argument. If all you had were word tracks and slogans you weakened your position.
I'm going to default to my geezerdom and say "It's these young punk ass kids these days."
All kidding aside, These kids were raised in a culture that encouraged this kind of expression.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Olympia WA, all I add is:

Evergreen State College = liberal, hippy, douchebags extremus!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Can you support that with some sound reasoning 8?
Did you spend much time on campus? Did you attend seminars? What you're stating is nothing more than a stereotype.
While it was a Liberal Arts school not everybody was a liberal. It's like me saying that since you grew up with in Olympia that must make your family part of the state welfare system that depended on what was supposed to be a state job.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Posted by Gasche:
"when I went to Evergreen in the early eighties"

I am wondering if maybe some changes have occurred in the last 35 years....

It seems many universities have taken a hard turn to the left since the early 80's.

That said, I am no authority on that particular school. I have seen a lot of it at my U. Of Oregon however.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Are we sure it is the colleges that are instigating this? We've seen many instances where professors are preaching a radical approach, however, I think they are in the minority. Most professors want to deliver the lesson and go home to a beer. Some of them let the fawning students go to their heads, eventually they get over it.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, not all colleges are Hillsdale.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:
I don't think it has anything to do with the college.

Which reveals that you are not currently familiar with Evergreen State College. It is now beyond a modern left wing progressive liberal publicly funded college.

The students are in control of the campus, and the president will not allow the campus police to take control of the situation or even protect the progressive liberal white professor.

"the story is so strange that it's not even going to make sense to an audience that isn't local to the campus"

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/n3SdJhJ2lps

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
You're right RH, I am not currently familiar with what is going on with that campus. Just waxing nostalgia. We do live in very different times.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
As suggested in a previous post, college and university campuses have changed since we went to school. Texas A&M University bought the now former president of the University of Washington to "modernize" TAMU. That was necessary in the past. I wouldn't know about such a need now. I do know where Major General Rudder's grave is located and should visit it soon.

As for TESC, they wanted racial diversity, and they got it. Here is the latest local article about the progressive liberal white professor who had to go on Fox News to try to save his job because he is white and was just trying to hold a class: All white people leave campus OR ELSE!

Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
So some students or parents paid the tuition to have a learning experience at this "school." It sounds like someone has stopped the school from fulfilling its role. The president is being complicit by having police stand down, and allowing the disruption of services. Sounds like time for some lawsuits to refund this waste of money. Step 2, go to another school that is not paralyzed by this bullshit. The race card seems to be very powerful in that neck of the woods. Lots of pine, but no spine.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's kind of fun to watch progressives turn on each other, but the more important issue here is with the students effectively taking over the campus.

The easy solution here would be immediate expulsion for any and all students involved. Send in the cops, arrest them, and toss them out on their asses.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
So some students or parents paid the tuition to have a learning experience at this "school."

Most likely, US and Washington state tax payers are financing these students' "education", room, board, pot galore, and whatever they desire via federal student loans and then Washington's "nearly everything except income" taxes.

The latest update is that TESC's campus is closed due to a due to a death threat: The county released a copy of the phone call. A male caller told a dispatcher: "I'm on my way to Evergreen University now with a .44 Magnum. I'm going to execute as many people on that campus as I can get a hold of. You have that? What's going on here? You communist, scumbag town? I'm going to murder as many people on that campus as I can. Just keep your eyes open you scumbag."

That phrasing instantly reminded me of when a black church was torched and spray painted with "Vote Trump" but turned into A parishioner at a historically black church spray-painted with the words "Vote Trump" has been accused of setting it on fire.

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
The easy solution here would be immediate expulsion for any and all students involved. Send in the cops, arrest them, and toss them out on their asses.

That's a sensible but naively impractical approach to a college with a "Abolish Cops and Prisons" club. I agree with the aggrieved professor's wording of "the story is so strange that it's not even going to make sense to an audience that isn't local to the campus".

Some of the students highly object to the campus police carrying firearms. That might be a partial consequence of the discontinuation of the 9 member campus police's former duties of placating triggered students with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches due to funding issues for peanut butter, jelly and bread.

It won't make any sense to most, but this is the latest local update which includes a link to a proposal from Eastern Washington to begin remove funding and transform TESC into a private college: http://www.theolympian.com/new...rticle153810709.html

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I want to weep for the future of the country when I watch this.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post