SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll – manual or electric toothbrush
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll – manual or electric toothbrush Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My dentist recommended that I buy an electric toothbrush for better plaque removal. For brands he suggested Oral B (preferred) or Sonicare.

Hm… I’ve used manual toothbrushes my entire life and all my teeth are my own, except for two crowns. And I’m firmly ensconced in the senior citizen class.

I looked at the Oral B models on Amazon, and I don’t think their little round brushes would hold much toothpaste.

So what’s the SIGforum experience with electric toothbrushes?

Question:
Manual or electric toothbrush?

Choices:
Manual
Electric

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9078 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Seems ridiculous that you’d need an electric toothbrush. However they do the job considerably better. Periodic cleanings at the dentist are a breeze.

I do have the oral B, don’t worry about the size. I honestly think it’s beneficial, allowing for better cleaning the back molars.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5180 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dentist has never recommended an electric and I see my dentist more than I care to admit. She does insist I use a water pick along with brushing and flossing.
I have used an electric in the past. It’s just a more expensive pain in the ass. I’ll keep my manual.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oral B for me, holds just the right amount of toothpaste, only negative is the replacement brush heads are not cheap and I am due for a new one.

Posts: 431 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just bought this sonicare one to replace my really old sonicare one. It's probably ten years old and still works. The older heads are getting harder to find and old design has me cleaning water out of the area the head attaches to. Hopefully newer design has fixed that.

From what I've read on the reviews is that the no frills model I linked does everything the more expensive ones do, but don't have 15 options for speed and a plaque option vs whitening option, and it doesn't make Julian fries either.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20894 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
Oral B is what we use and get replacement heads on amazon, $10 for 6 heads lasts roughly a year. Has cut down drastically on cavities for my kids. For me, it has cut down on plaque build up in problem areas compared to a manual brush. I luckily have very few cavities in my 53 years.

Posts: 798 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Oral B, round head. Works fine for me.
Battery lasts pretty well on a trip, so no big concern on it dying while away from the charger.

I have found that the aftermarket brush heads don't seem as good as the OralB branded ones. YMMV.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15462 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The best electric toothbrush I've ever had was a Rotadent, but it was sold through dentists. I had developed some gum issues and the rotadent was part of the regiment that regrew 25% of my gum tissue. The difference between it and the big box store toothbrushes is that it had 2 levels of stiffness of brushes and the outer bristles were longer and softer to sweep under the gum line. It survived 2 cross country moves and 6 years, and when it died I couldn't find a Rotadent in Alaska.

I went looking for a replacement and the Sonicare brush heads were huge and weren't set up to sweep under the gum line like the Rotadent. However, the Oral B was a pure rotary and some of the bristles would sweep the gum line (not as well as Rotadent).

The rechargeable Oral B's last 5 or 6 years, and every dental visit I swap out the brush head which cost ~$7. I'm 4 years into this Oral-B 1500, it's still going strong, and I'd buy again.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Electric and for me, it's no contest.
Think brush heads are expensive? Price dental work.
I've had both Oral B and Sonicare and prefer the Sonicare. Either are far superior to the manual method.

Posts: 9595 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine trying to hand sand a piece of wood in a cramped corner with a tight roof on it.

Then imagine using a Oscillating Multi-Tool with a sanding adapter.

Same principal, only worded so a man can understand it.

Posts: 12787 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have both. I use the electric once a day and the manual for any other brushes. I will say, an advantage to the electric is it times your brushing so you make sure to spend good time on each section of teeth.

JC

Posts: 1278 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Manual, it's part of my morning exercise regimen

Posts: 23663 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigseller2000:
Oral B is what we use and get replacement heads on amazon, $10 for 6 heads.

Same here. Pretty big difference when cleaning time comes around.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 85 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used an Oral B electric for about 20 years. Dental hygienists always stated I was doing a great job. I recently added a Waterpik (about 2 years ago) and now there is NOTHING for them to clean. I had a couple gum pockets that were a little deeper than the others (but not a concern according to the dentist and they'd been at this level for almost 10 years). 6 months of using the waterpik most evenings and those pockets had reduced and all are very healthy now. The dentist was impressed. My checkup since have all been great.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1751 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a change, I'm with the majority-Oral B! My first electric was a Sonicare, and when it died, I tried the Oral B. Much better IMO. On my second one now.

Brush heads are cheap enough if you buy the generic, though I use the Oral B ones. I get 'em on Amazon.

I think we had a fairly recent thread here (too lazy to search) that pointed out only a relatively small amount of toothpaste is needed and recommended. My Oral B brush heads are perfect for that.

I had that stinking throat cancer in 2015 and the radiation still causes cavities (which I very rarely had before the cancer). My dentist tells me I'm gonna have cavities from time to time for the rest of my days on this earth as a result and, so, I take a lot of pains to do what I can do to prevent them.

I use a prescription toothpaste from my dentist, ClinPro at $20 per tube to try to prevent the cavities if possible. Seems to be helping.

Bob

Posts: 1590 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Electric for the home, manual for abroad/camping. Phillips Sonicare is pure gold; a little pricey but they plain work.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15661 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Oral-B

Been using one for years and can't go back to a manual. Tried a Sonicare once and didn't care for it plus it would splatter toothpaste everywhere if you didn't hold your mouth carefully closed.

I like the new tips on the Oral-B where they have a color changing wear indicator, no more changing them by time just by wear.

quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I looked at the Oral B models on Amazon, and I don’t think their little round brushes would hold much toothpaste.

It's actually a really good design, the smaller heads are easier to move around your mouth for effective brushing and the way they vibrate actually wears the plaque and junk off your teeth and you don't need a ton of toothpaste.

Posts: 33980 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Electric and for me, it's no contest.
Think brush heads are expensive? Price dental work.
I've had both Oral B and Sonicare and prefer the Sonicare. Either are far superior to the manual method.

This sums up my experience as well.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5285 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I used to use Oral B, it was very good, packs of brush head replacement available at Costco.

I switched after having a bridge installed, because WaterPik does a good job of cleaning under the bridge area with the water jet. The brush and water jet are in a combined unit, so you can use either one, depending on which button you press.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30809 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My dentist always gives a new toothbrush after a cleaning visit.
He used to offer a choice of manual or electric, but for the last two years or so it's manual only.
I don't know if that is just a cost thing for him, though.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16548 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post