SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll – manual or electric toothbrush
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll – manual or electric toothbrush Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Leaves do a good job if you are camping and cost conscious.

Posts: 17386 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Sonicare user for - jeesh twenty years or so.

It's definitely superior to manual. Flossing at our age is also key. I actually have a waterpik also.

You only have to brush the ones you want to keep.

Cheers~

Posts: 915 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’m a Sonicare man.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Electric is 100% worth it. For some reason, I never brushed well despite my best efforts. Electric is easy and my cleanings are short. I have the Oral B 360.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7118 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sonicare, my dentist says he uses one too.

I tried the Oral-B at one point and didn't like it as well. The sonicare buzz seemed to get more of the cruft between the teeth and the gums than the Oral-B seesaw.

Biggest problem is that the toothpaste/saliva goo sneaks by the gaskets little by little until it forms a clot in the brush head. It is possible, if not easy, to get in there and clean out the mess, but it is far easier to just toss that head and slap on a new one. I'm cheap, and go the clean out route, which abrades the gaskets slightly and causes the problem to reappear more quickly the next time.

Posts: 6647 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Manual. Which reminds me. Time to buy a new one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16273 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Both. Evening, I follow up the 2 minutes with the Oral B with floss, and then the manual with a powder for a minute. I have a small round manual for behind the back molar. I'm done tasting blood during cleanings. Btw, haven't changing my OB head in over a year.

Posts: 3572 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I use the Colgate disposable battery powered one. A single AAA battery, 20,000 strokes a minute is better than I can do manually. Used to use the Spin Brush, but, even using two AA batteries, it's not as vigorous as the Colgate.

Q

Posts: 27156 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both. Which I use for any given brushing depends on my mood.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3515 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired dentist. I use a Sonicare and have for many years.

Posts: 8999 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have an Oral-B 3d type 4729 that dates from 2004-5 and is still going strong. I prefer the Oral-B Floss Action brush heads.

As others have stated, the electric brushes do a better job of taking care of plaque and gum health than manual brushes do.

Updated to also mention that I have and use Shower Floss as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16418 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Sonicare for me. Since I’ve been using it regularly, coupled with a waterpik, visits to the dentist have been a lot more pleasant. The hygienist always comments on how clean my teeth are. In my younger days, dentist visits were always bad, so hearing good news makes me swear by the sonicare.

Posts: 1141 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
OralB basic electric. Started using about 10-15 years ago. My dentist thought I had started flossing again

Posts: 1799 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Sonicare ftw.

Posts: 11395 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oral B manual for me, after breakfast and before bed. Flossing before evening effort. I'm good at brushing in various directions and using various brushing motions. Seems to work fine.

Posts: 2703 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
The wife uses an electric, something like V-tail posted.
She likes it.

I can't use electric, I have 6 implants in my upper with a permanent appliance.
They told me not to use an electric toothbrush with implants when I got them 13 years ago.

Friday I'm having the remaining lower teeth pulled and 4 to 6 implants in the lower.
I'll end up with the same thing I have in the upper.

I brush my teeth twice a day in the shower.
I use this to water floss the gap in the upper and then the lower teeth.
Easy peasy, no mess in the sink and no refilling of the tank..

Shower Floss

Posts: 4400 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
They told me not to use an electric toothbrush with implants

Did they give the reason? Brave search AI-generated answer says yes, it's ok.

Q

Posts: 27156 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
They told me not to use an electric toothbrush with implants

Did they give the reason? Brave search AI-generated answer says yes, it's ok.

Thank you, I'll take the advice of the oral surgeon who did my procedure over an AI search guess.
I choose to live life without AI.

Something to do with excessive vibrations while the implants were healing.

I'd rather not put a vibrator in my mouth if that's ok with you.
You feel free to choose differently..

I brush my teeth in the shower.
Don't feel an electric would be the way to go. Roll Eyes

But thanks.. Cool

Posts: 4400 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Sonicare for my wife and me, my dentist recommended it years ago and I like it a lot.
The small brush heads are great, I don’t think they even offer the big ones my original unit came with.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sonicare, basically same response as tomgun above. Dentists and dental assistants nod vigorously in agreement when I tell them I use the Sonicare and a Waterpik.

Posts: 18231 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post