SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Printer/Scaner/Copier
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printer/Scaner/Copier Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
What do we like for printer/scanner/copiers for the home?

I currently have an Epson 3640. It was pretty good for a while, but during COVID I found myself using it much less than previously. This resulted in the need to align and clean the print head before printing. Unfortunately the cartridges are so small by the time you've completed this, you're on your way to the store for more ink. Then you get to align again..... It's just become too much of a pain and print quality is getting worse.

What is the newest and best for a casual user?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38001 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We've had a Brother HL-L2395DW for about 3-4 years now with nary a problem. It is not a color printer though. We are definitely casual users.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lasers are a lot better for the casual user as the ink doesn't dry up like in ink jets.

I've had an HP all in one color laserjetpro for several years now and am very happy with it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Another Brother owner here. Brother DCP-L2540DW bought in 2017.

Finally got smart and quit buying color ink-jet printers with their expensive (Epson, Canon, etc. et all) to replace carts and nozzle issues and went with a B&W laser. Smartest move I've made with computer equipment in decades!

If I absolutely MUST have a color print, I can avail myself of services in town ranging from mom 'n pop stores to WallyWorld. Damn site cheaper than owning and maintaining a color money eater. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Another Brother brand Laser owner, I have 2 of them. They are Laser cartridge Multi Function copy scan print. They run through my wifi system. Each was $150-ish.

I have not had even one single issue with them. Very dependable and economical.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are all crap. They seem to last 3 or 4 years and then quit just after you spent $90 on ink, and those cartridges you just bought won't work on any current models..

I had to buy one in Dec. There were very few to choose from. So, no deals out there. About like trying to buy ammo! I needed a printer-copier-scanner-fax. Best Buy had none available either in store or available for order. I went to Canons website and found that, of 14 models, only 6 were available.

I found a Canon MB5120 online at Staples and bought it. More than I wanted to spend but I needed it right away and that was all there was. Seems OK so far. It is a lot faster than other Canons I have had. Jury is still out on ink usage. It is supposed to be a heavier duty one than what I had so we will see if it lasts any longer.

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm using an Epson XP-810. It's pretty good, but if it's not used frequently the ink jets clog and have to be cleaned, which takes several minutes. For me it's a problem because I only print 1 or 2 documents a week, on the average. It's photo prints (4x6) are nice enough.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We've been very happy with the Brother 9340CDW. It's a multi function color laser. We got tired of inkjets and bit the bullet. It's discontinued but any of the multi function color laser one should work well.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have a Brother 2470dw b&w c/s/p and use Staples print service for the few color prints I need.

I used to have a mid range HP color printer, but didn't use it enough to justify the cartridges, so we tossed it.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I used HP color ink jet scanner/fax/copier/printers in my business for over 25 years. Each one lasted around 8 years or so. Since they were cheap, it was a good value.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Brother.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I’ve had three or four HP OfficeJet printers over the past 20 years or so. Our current 8710 has done well since I got it three years ago.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
as others have said, save yourself time, money and aggravation and get a laser - color or BW depending on your needs

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I've got an older Brother printer that I bought based on Brother being the overwhelming brand of choice from the membership here. While I won't say it's been perfect or problem-free, it has been the best printer I've ever bought for home use. I think they're all going to have problems, but this one has been far better than HP and Canon printers I've used in the past. When this one dies I will be going with Brother again.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canon imageCLASS MF4570dn Black & White laser.
It's a multi-functional machine (MF in model) - does Print, Copy, Scan and Fax.
Got it quite a few years back, replaced the toner cartridge 4-5 times (about $60 on sale).
Mine is not a wireless model, but I use it wireless-ly through home WiFi.
Although it obviously can't print in color, it scans in color just fine.
Works fine, no any problems.

Posts: 5 | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Brother L2710DW, B&W printer, copier, scanner; has an automatic document feeder-so it can copy or scan more than one page at a time.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I've had a few different Epson printers and have never had to align the heads like you have been doing. When I need another new printer it will also be an Epson.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have used inkjet printer for 20 years. Each would last 5 years or so and I would buy another. The price, $150-$200 was always the draw vs. laser printers at $400-$500 and up.

But last year I finally broke down and bought a laser printer at Costco. And I immediately smacked myself up the side of my own head for waiting so long.

Laser is soooooo much better.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to replace my HP multi function ink jet. I have a Brother B&W laser but need something for occasional color.
I was ready to pull the trigger on a Laser color until I read what replacement cartridges cost.
How do you laser owners deal with that cost?

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We gave up on ink jet printers and went with a Canon MF 632C/634C series laser machine. It has been bulletproof.

Set up was a bit of a bitch as you need to download a special control module from Canon, which wasn't immediately clear from the set-up instructions, but once you get this thing working, it's great, and very low maintenance. It doesn't jam, leak ink, smear, or deliver wet sheets of print.

ETA: To Armored's point, the cartridges are more expensive, but two years in, we have yet to replace either the B&W or the color. Admittedly, we don't do much color.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post